What's for Dinner #92 - the Fool Me Once Edition - April 2023

White pizza with a garlic-oregano bechamel, three cheeses, fresh asparagus, marinated artichokes and sundried tomatoes in oil. There were some colorful pickled peppers which didn’t make the photo. On the side, romaine in a creamy Italian dressing.

20 Likes

sausages and taters, yet again! Fatted Calf “greens” sausages were super juicy, with simple boiled potatoes with butter & parsely, the BF’s creamed spinach topped with TJ’s French friend onions, and a salad. All quite delicious. he’s really got that spinach down pat.

Happy Friday, everybody!

16 Likes

Stir-fried soba noodles with onion, scallions, chicken breast, shrimps, red and green pepper, eggs, light and dark soy sauce. Topped with some sesame seeds, gari and fried shallots

16 Likes

Shrimp tostadas - sous vide red Argentine shrimp, tomato, onion, jalapeño, cilantro, lime juice, and mayo on tostada shells.

21 Likes

Last night’s dinner was a Chic Pea, Spinach and Chicken stew over rice. I limited the chicken to just one (skinless) breast which will make four servings. The cholesterol per serving will be minimal. Sunshine and I really enjoyed our dinner and there is enough for leftovers, tonight.

19 Likes

Chinese at home for dinner tonight. We went all out, with the intention of getting two full meals (plus some midnight snacking) out of it.

Garlic fried rice, vegetable Hakka noodles, steamed chicken with black mushrooms (similar to this and this), and mixed mushrooms with paneer for mom.

Everything turned out well except the noodles, which tasted great but were a gloppy mess — turns out they were some new no-boil version and the package timing was obviously wrong, because when my sis soaked and drained and them per directions, they were already too soft.

Mom really enjoyed the mushroom and paneer dish, which had buttons, black / dried shiitake, oyster (and some surprise king oyster in the box), and woodears, so lots of texture and flavor variety alongside the soft paneer.

It was my first time using woodears which was an interesting experience because they really blow up in size when rehydrated!

I ate the steamed chicken after a couple of years, so that was my favorite part of the meal. Also those gloppy noodles that were bizarrely tasty :joy:

17 Likes

I cook with them all the time, and somehow I still haven’t internalized this. I keep throwing another one into the soaking water, because it doesn’t look like enough. And then it’s waaaay too much.

3 Likes

I used a much larger than (I thought) necessary bowl, and when I checked back, it looked like an alien had outgrown a tiny ship.

5 Likes

I had the same experience recently with some dried wood ears I got on Amazon. Rehydrated, I thought I was looking at a Frisbee!

I think the bowl's capacity is about 4 cups.
10 Likes

Sous vide carrots and beets, tomato and cucumber with horseradish dressing.

Shrimp and oyster mushrooms with “wasabi greens” (nothing to do with wasabi, they’re some sort of mustard green).

I do not really see the point of sous vide carrots and beets. They don’t taste appreciably different from boiled. The carrots hold their color better, I guess.

19 Likes

Dinner Tonight: Onglet Gascon (hanger steaks with veal stock reduction) from Anthony Bourdain’s Les Halles Cookbook, onion rings, salad

The veal stock reduction (spiked with wine and mustard and mounted with butter) is killer. Dip onion rings or fries in it. Make mashed potatoes and pour over. Certainly also dip your steak in it.

Sadly no marrow bones at the store today, so I had to skip that part of the recipe. My cardiologist is probably just as happy :grin:

18 Likes

Indulgence Day No. 2 did not include doing my taxes. But they’re done.

Argentinian shrimp seasoned with s/p and lemon zest, sauteed in a bit of olive oil and butter and served over Basmati rice. Sauteed spinach with garlic and Aleppo pepper and Mediterranean pine nuts alongside (didn’t think to toast them beforehand).

Wine.

21 Likes

It looks like a flag. Is it a flag?

2 Likes

:rofl: You can pretend it’s a flag, if you need it to be. :wink:

1 Like

This is the closest, but it’s not quite right.

3 Likes

Dirty martini pork chop - new, keeper recipe. Washington Post but there seem to be unpaywalled versions. Wild rice.

18 Likes

Hamburgers again …with cheddar, bacon, avocado. And Arby’s frozen seasoned curly fries. Spritzed with a little canola spray and baked til crispy. Pretty good for frozen fries.

16 Likes

Veggie calzone with spinach, artichoke, kalamata olives, ricotta, mozz and parm. Homemade marinara for dipping. Romaine with a creamy Italian vinaigrette on the side.

21 Likes

We enjoyed another sensational dinner at The Farmer’s Daughter in Newton, NJ, including 45 day dry aged strip steak with maytag blue cheese, frizzled shallots, and crispy steak fries; truffled squid ink pasta with lobster and herbed panko; crawfish dip with homemade chips; beet tartare; zucchini squash blossom salad; and mussels, clams, and chorizo sausage. it all went great with an excellent red blend and Shiraz.

15 Likes

Dinner a few nights ago. Freezer clean out, so made a good stock with beef and lamb bones. Added some leftover lamb, onions, carrots, celery, potatoes, and barley, green beans too. Tasty, but no good bread, so…saltines.

15 Likes