What's For Dinner #88 - The Mad Rush Edition - December 2022

What kind of seasoning is Tony’s @small_h ?

Quinoa (with cilantro and lime zest) with seared shrimps (with ancho chili) in a tomato, scallion and garlic mixture and topped with diced avocado and olive oil

18 Likes

Creole. It’s very useful!

5 Likes

Thanks - that’s what I wondered & I do have some in my spice drawer. LOVE Creole/Cajun. Your whiting looks good - definitely not a fish we see in my neck of the woods. (Was going to put ellipses at the end, but lol remembered your pet peeve)!

Walked up Russian Hill for dinner at friend’s house.
Rare Prime Rib and Baked Salmon. Sides of Broccoli and roasted regular and sweet Potatoes.

A couple of pastries from Stella’s bakery and dark chocolate covered dried fruits to finish.

Beautiful night in San Francisco. Restaurants, parklets and bars humming as we strolled back down the hill. Life almost seemed normal again.

22 Likes

LOL. Thank you for avoiding my utterly ridiculous triggers. Whiting is a local fish, caught in the Long Island Sound. It’s mild,.with a nice flake, and hard to screw up if you bake or fry it. Deep fried whiting was part of my favorite breakfast plate (which also included grits, homefries, toast and eggs) at a long-closed West Village restaurant called The Pink Teacup.

2 Likes

At the end of the growing seasoning, my CSA sells a “stock up” box. For $100 I got 60+ pounds of various winter squashes, roots vegetables (beets, carrots, parsnips, sweet and white potatoes), cabbages, cauliflower and the like. Needless to say, these will be figuring prominently in my meal planning for a while.

I came across a recipe for squash ramen that sounded delicious which I used as basis for dinner. I roasted butternut squash and pureed it with soy sauce, veggie broth, mirin, miso, fish sauce, and maple syrup. Served with roasted Brussels sprouts, Romanesco broccoli and udon noodles as I didn’t have ramen. I added a shot of Chinkiang vinegar to mine to counterbalance the sweetness. Very good. Next time I’ll add mushrooms and maybe an egg.

19 Likes

It’s my house seasoning. I put it on everything!

1 Like

What a great idea from your CSA!

5 Likes

I’m having a romance with furikake.

3 Likes

When I first read this, I thought you were having a romance with fruitcake! :eyeglasses:

2 Likes

:laughing: Nope, not an autocorrect!

Well, it would be seasonal!

1 Like

It would, but kinda off topic, unless you can sprinkle fruitcake on fish.

1 Like

Good point…

It’s really nice though I have to be creative in where I store everything.

1 Like

Link to the butter chicken recipe?

Of course, standby.

Tonight’s dinner was a stuffed delicata squash. It was delicious!

14 Likes

That’s a beautiful plate! What did you stuff the squash with? I haven’t met a winter squash I didn’t love, but I’ve never stuffed one - we always have them as a side. I have diced butternut before and cooked it in a risotto but again not as a main. I have a hard time just being happy with risotto for a meal.

4 Likes