What's For Dinner #88 - The Mad Rush Edition - December 2022

We enjoyed another outstanding dinner at Fiorentini in Rutherford, NJ, including honeynut squash double agnolotti; vension; beet salad; an awesome risotto carnaroli with pamigiano and Alba white truffles; octopus. It all went great with an excellent Amarone and cabernet.

9 Likes

That Nigella recipe is towards the top of my list of dishes to try, but tonight I just needed a no-brainer version.

3 Likes

Thai-inspired fish curry with cod in a sauce made from yellow curry paste, ginger, garlic, chili, some cumin, coriander and turmeric, tomato paste, tomato passata, vegetable broth and coconut milk. Served with peas, carrots and sugar snap peas and rice

12 Likes

but it looks scrumptious!

I’ve been drooling over that picture on F&W’s IG for months. Since there is only me I like your idea of using just thighs. I also love the look of @MunchkinRedux’s Lemony meatballs. If she would share her recipe I’d be grateful.

2 Likes

And yours is picture-perfect gorgeous! :yum:

For @BeefeaterRocks

I made the meatballs separately from the orzo:

1 lb. ground chicken
1 egg, beaten
1/4 c. panko
1 large shallot, minced
5 oz. frozen spinach, wrung and divided
1 t. kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Mix all the meatball ingredients by hand (using 1/2 of the spinach), and knead for a few minutes until cohesive. Cover and chill 30 minutes (to 2 hours). Divide into 10 meatballs (I used a #20 cookie scoop). Bake on an oiled rack at 400 for 20 minutes, then hit with the broiler for 2-3 minutes to desired color. *If I hadn’t doubled the batch to have some all-purpose leftovers, I might have added some feta here. Also, in season I think some grated (wrung) zucchini in the meatballs would be nice.

Meanwhile, make the orzo:

1/4 of a large onion, diced
1 medium carrot, grated
1/4 c. diced celery
1/4 t. dill
2 c. stock
4 oz. orzo
The remaining half of the wrung spinach
Salt and pepper to taste
Freshly squeezed lemon

In a medium Dutch oven, heat 2 T. olive oil. Saute the mirepoix until soft - 3-4 minutes. Add the dill and saute 1 minute more. Add the stock, bring to a boil, stir in orzo, reduce heat and cover. Simmer until al dente - about 9 minutes. Stir in the remaining spinach and remove from heat. Add a squeeze of lemon, adjust seasonings. Plate and serve with the meatballs, passing more lemon slices.

Inspo came from here, although I omitted the garlic, and subbed dill for the oregano and thyme.

5 Likes

I just use oyster sauce on my homemade egg foo young instead of making the gloppy brown sauce! Lots of cilantro along with the bean sprouts and onions, plenty of oil, including sesame at the end of frying. Thanks for the reminder of this great dish!

2 Likes

Christmas Eve Eve takeout from an Indian restaurant last night. I had Chicken Vindaloo, extra spicy-- the portion was so large that I couldn’t finish it. BF had Chicken Tikka Masala (not pictured), and mom had Tandoori Chicken. We all shared naan, roti, and vegetable Korma. Delicious as always! I also made homemade Bhel Puri. To drink, a couple of Last Words to celebrate BF’s last day at his current job. While I have enjoyed working with him for the last six months or so, he got an incredible opportunity and will be moving on next week. Cheers!

23 Likes

Yep. My uncle in law bought five more crab yesterday from Costco to bring back to Plano tomorrow.

Tried to score more black cod to bring back, but the two Costco we tried were sold out.

3 Likes

Tibb’s Eve dinner: steelhead with tomatoes, mushrooms, dill, lemon and capers.

Side was a take-out quesadilla from Qdoba.

13 Likes

Christmas Eve meal was an easy hot dog without the actual hot dogs though, I just used standard British sausages. The bun was spread with cream cheese and then topped with an easy pineapple relish and spring onions. Really tasty and it was nice to have a small meal as I’ve been eating all day and have given myself a very large food baby :relaxed:

14 Likes

Many thanks.

1 Like

Snacky fishy Christmas Eve dinner: salmon roe on cream cheese and endive with a squeeze of lemon; smoked salmon, crème fraîche and dill on blinis; smoked cod liver with piment d’espalette on nori and Nut Thins. I have @naf to thank for introducing me the smoked cod liver which is now one of my favorite “affordable luxuries”. Very similar to ankimo. This prep had a sneaky spice from the piment.
ETA: pix.

21 Likes

Dinner Tonight: A little feast just for me - Patra ni Muchchi (Steamed Banana Leaf Wrapped Fish with Coconut, Herbs, Garlic and Chiles) Also, saffron basmati rice, roasted green beans, and a cucumber and tomato salad. Merry Christmas Eve to those who celebrate!

20 Likes

That is hands down my favorite kind of xmas meal - small bites of seafoody stuffs :star_struck: :star_struck: :star_struck:

3 Likes

We’ve not left the house since Wednesday. Friends have been incredibly helpful with helping us out, including shoveling our driveway and sidewalk when the shitstorm hit, and getting groceries for us.

Tonight I made exxxtra-hot Thai red curry with black tiger shrimp, peas & red peppers, a meal mostly prepped with stuff we already had at home, but a buddy of ours was nice enough to grab a red bell pepper for us :slight_smile:

I toasted an entire can of masrae red curry after shweating half a shallot, 3 blobs each of TJ’s frozen ginger & garlic, and 4 bird peppers. Def brought the heat. Added about 1.5 cups of BTB chicken broth, let it boil a bit, then added a can of coconut milk & makrut leaves, a splash or two of fish sauce & a generous squeeze of fresh lime. Peas, peppers, and the shrimp plopped in after I’d turned down the heat to poach gently while the leftover rice from Indian takeout was being nuked.

Hit the spot & we have leftovers for mañana, another highly uneventful holiday :neutral_face:

16 Likes

You really know how to eat :heart_eyes:

1 Like

A favorite! Congratulations to your bf.

1 Like

Fab spread!

1 Like

Oxtail dumplings

17 Likes