What's For Dinner #86 - the Apples, & Cider, & DONUTS, Oh MY! Edition - October 2022

You’re welcome. I can’t remember why or exactly when I started drinking my gin on the rocks, but I’m pretty sure it was when I was living in Reno. So a loooong time ago.

1 Like

Happy Birthday to Mrs. P, you’re both still rockin’ it!

Happy 10th!

3 Likes

A wonderful birthday meal - happy happy! (I’m right behind you in “that” day - although a very good bit older than you. :wink: )

1 Like

A very happy birthday to her as well - and THOSE SCALLOPS!!! :heart_eyes: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :star_struck: :kissing_heart: :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Using wicked to describe just about anything is a very Boston-area thing to do that I thought maybe you were from that area. I’m not but much of my family are in it’s environs.

We have gas heat, cook top and water heater. The cook top, water heater and propane grill allowed us to get back into our house after Superstorm Sandy - once the water receded (I live about 4 blocks from the ocean on the Jersey shore). The heat didn’t work because the thermostat was electric. When we evacuated our house the last thing I grabbed was my french press and emergency ground coffee. Even if I had to build a fire I was going to have coffee!

7 Likes

And I’m not originally from here, but have been in the Boston area long enough that “wicked pissah” or “wicked cool” has wormed its way into my occasional lexicon. :wink:

3 Likes

Mrs. P thanks you all for your birthday wishes! Not bad for 64 :blush:
Also, happy upcoming birthday to @LindaWhit !

4 Likes

Happy bday! Your turnips look divine. Yes, I know, of all the things… but they really do :slight_smile:

1 Like

Most of my youth I floated between the Baltimore and Washington, DC area. I moved around a bit after that, then settled in Arizona.

I did lose about 6-7 roofing shingles (off of the garage) during that recent wind storm, which I replaced the next morning. Nothing compared to Superstorm Sandy, but anytime I have get out the ladder, roofing cement and replacement shingles… its a pain.

Yes… I keep plenty of instant coffee in stock for just such an emergency!!

2 Likes

Yes, I remember yours is coming up right behind. Is it today? If so, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

1 Like

Happy birthday to my birthday twin. I do remember that coincidence!

1 Like

almost. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Your birthday twin thanks you :blush:
There seem to be a lot of big birthdays this time of year.

Tonight I made chicken “Parm” meatloaf served with garlic spinach and green salad.

But let’s be real, that was just prelude to dessert.

21 Likes

I think a Happy Birthday is in order? :grin:

1 Like

Happy Birthday to the Mrs.! Lovely looking dinner!

1 Like

Tacos with salmon, asparagus, morels, peas, and chiles (pasilla/cascabel). I realized that dinner skewed somewhat out of season on my veg, but went with it. The mushrooms and peas were from the earlier ragout. I spiked it with some toasted cascabel and pasilla chiles. Once those had a chance to soften in the ragout, I folded in some roasted asparagus. We had it with roasted salmon and flour tortillas. Lime to squeeze over. Quite nice with the resurgence of some warmer weather today!

17 Likes

I grew up upstate NY but went to college in NJ and stayed - some people think I’m crazy. Both my parents are from the Boston area. My sister moved there and my mother has recently moved back to be closer to her and other family as she ages.

It sounds like you were lucky to have such minor damage and even luckier than you could repair the roof. Anything that involves a ladder scares me.

Coffee is a must no matter the disaster.

4 Likes

Recipes:

Cake - https://food52.com/recipes/6857-grown-up-birthday-cake

With this frosting:

https://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-southern-style-chocolate-cake-with-chocolate-frosting-recipes-from-the-kitchn-180358

3 Likes