What's For Dinner #82 - June 2022 - the Scary Campfire Stories and Sticky S'Mores Month

I made pot roast in the slow cooker, served over ww egg noodles. Albariño. Still camping.

22 Likes

Dessert with the last of the Lindt Easter Bunny.

17 Likes

Curious: how do you power your slow-cooker when camping?

We’re on a fully electric site this trip :grin:

4 Likes

Pizza. Discard crust. Evoo. Roasted baby cauliflower, onions, soyrizo, cheese. Served with frozen chicken nugs from Costco.

16 Likes

Wagyu burgers on the grill. Homemade potato buns with special sauce. Lettuce and pickles from the garden.

19 Likes

BF made, at my request, a sausage, potato, zucchini dish with parm and garlic, and he added pearl onions cuz we had them. Sausage was a parm sausage from our Frenchy butcher. super simple, and delicious. garlicky tomato salad on the side.

21 Likes

Looks delicious

Dinner at our favorite French bistro in Berlin, Les Valseuses. Our table shared the duck rillettes & escargots off the regular menu, and two orders of big fat pink shrimp with aioli and their version of cocktail sauce from the special menu. 3 of us got the steak frites (2 entrecôtes, one filet). Shit ton of food. Shit ton of wine. Happy campers.

14 Likes

That orzo side is now on my make-it list. Yum.

Holy cow - that’s a beautiful outdoor kitchen setup!

2 Likes

Thank you very much. That was part of our pandemic projects. Since going out wasn’t a “thing” anymore, creative dining / cooking etc. took on an entirely new importance. I did a lot of outside improvement’s during the pandemic as partial therapy for myself and family. My thoughts were if I kept enough positive projects going on in “our world” then it gave my family a distraction from the harsh realities of the real world on lock down during a pandemic.

The end results were almost a complete transformation of our backyard, the most in the 20+ years I’ve lived here. lol The great thing was, what was meant as a “happy distraction” now that the pandemic is over has grown or become something the family truly enjoys. We’ve spent more time outdoors, hanging out as a family together since doing this than the other 18+ years combined.

The other best part of it all was besides the fact my son and I did a lot of the work (as well as day laborers when needed) most of the items, like the kitchen, were all purchased second hand. lol Facebook marketplace is what kept me occupied during the pandemic. The most rewarding part of a project like this is not only getting it done, but getting it done (well) below budget.

17 Likes

Priceless! Great to read. What else happened in your backyard transformation?

2 Likes

So I had a “normal” deck with a grill, table and seating area for bbq’s etc. Perfectly functional but nothing “elaborate”, so my thought process was, existing deck = kitchen/dining room + new deck/extension = Living Room & additional landscaping with useable spaces.

Deck extension

Finished with furniture and landscaping. (There is an outdoor TV as well)

(that was summer 2020)

Summer 2021 brought the jacuzzi

Fire pit area

Full view kitchen (this was actually a gift from friends who sold to move to Florida, just had to pay to transport and install

Honestly I’m shocked how well something that was truly conceived as a “distraction” took on a life of its own and the outcome was far better than I anticipated.

Everything you see, I did over 2 summers and probably spent 10k vs probably 50k if I had sub-contracted it all. Half the 10k was materials for the deck which thank God I did before lumber prices skyrocketed. I actually just bought a sun shade to install over the new deck, it gets hot out there!!!

Hope you enjoyed thanks for the compliment!

26 Likes

(post deleted by author)

Trying out a newly found frozen Dim Sum product from T&T for lunch.

Pan fried. pot-sticker style, chive and pork dumplings. Soft texture wrapper with a golden, crispy bottom. Nicely seasoned and juicy filling. Surprising decent result, though, like most commercial mass-produced products, wrapper is a touch on the thick side!

`[quote=“THECHARLES, post:156, topic:29343, full:true”]
Trying out a newly found frozen Dim Sum product from T&T for lunch.

Pan fried. pot-sticker style, chive and pork dumplings. Soft texture wrapper with a golden, crispy bottom. Nicely seasoned and juicy filling. Surprising decent result, though, like most commercial mass-produced products, wrapper is a touch on the thick side!

[/quote]

`

13 Likes

They stick pretty good, I see. Right to an upside-down plate.

5 Likes

:laughing: Hungry Onion software flipped that!

1 Like

This entire set-up of so much living and cooking space outdoors is an absolute DREAM! Thanks for sharing, NotJr!

4 Likes

That really is a spectacular set-up! Thanks for showing us, really fun to see it!

1 Like