What's For Dinner #82 - June 2022 - the Scary Campfire Stories and Sticky S'Mores Month

Several , is a must on days like this .

2 Likes

We enjoyed another excellent dinner at Cafe Panache in Ramsey, NJ including dry aged strip steak, soft shell crab, lobster crab cake, sweet corn agnolotti, and espresso sambuca gelato. It all went great with an excellent cabernet and red blend.

11 Likes

Pan roasted chicken thighs. Lemony pasta salad with herbs. Garden greens in vinaigrette.

19 Likes

The Garden/All in the Golden Afternoon Lyrics

FLOWERS:
Little bread-and-butterflies kiss the tulips
And the sun is like a toy balloon
There are get up in the morning glories
In the golden afternoon

There are dizzy daffodils on the hillside
Strings of violets are all in tune
Tiger lilies love the dandy lions
In the golden afternoon
(The golden afternoon)
There are dog and caterpillars and the copper centipede
Where the lazy daisies love the very peaceful life
They lead…

You can learn a lot of things from the flowers
For especially in the month of June
There’s a wealth of happiness and romance
All in the golden afternoon

All in the golden afternoon
The golden afternoon…

ALICE:
You can learn a lot of things from the flowers
For especially in the month of June
There’s a wealth of happiness and romance
All-

FLOWERS:
The golden afternoon! https://genius.com/Walt-disney-records-the-garden-all-in-the-golden-afternoon-lyrics#:~:text=You%20can%20learn%20a%20lot%20of%20things%20from,June%20There's%20a%20wealth%20of%20happiness%20and%20romance

4 Likes

With my daughters pending nuptials this coming November, this weekend was her “family bachelorette”. This was a weekend made up of the immediate female family members spending the weekend in Long Beach Island NJ. (Only about 30-40mins from home).

This means it was just me and the boys (son and son-in-law to be) this weekend with an agenda filled with bad decisions for all!! What was supposed to be a weekend at the beach turned into seeking refuge from a rain storm. After raining on our beach day I decided to make it up to them with an excellent Boyz night dinner!

Extra thick cut bacon - Prime Ribeye (not tomahawk even a die-hard carnivore like me ain’t paying these prices for the “wow factor” of a tomahawk) - sautéed broccoli - loaded baked potatoes and lastly butter and bourbon sautéed onions.

Firstly the ladies with bride to be in white

Not the beach day I had planned

Water bottle for size comparison

Oh yeah baby

Bacons time to sizzle

Onions flaming up

Finished product

Give big daddy the bone! Sorry dog!

25 Likes

I remember LBI fondly from my childhood days of family vacations in what I think was then called Beach Haven Inlet, staying at the Dewdrop Inn. It was all the way down near the bird sanctuary at the far end of the island.

Hope the ladies had a good time! And the gentlemens’ dinner looks amazing!

1 Like

Last night’s Rangers loss was soaked up with my version of Spanish Chicken-Rice. Marinated BL/SL thighs, yellow rice, gandules, green olives, bacon, and BF’s mom’s Sofrito. Delicious, hearty, comforting. He also made tortas to go on the side. A very healthy meal! :rofl:

23 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was a pad Thai with a basa fillet. I forgot to pick up peanuts when I was shopping this afternoon :frowning:

14 Likes

Leftover ribeye became shrimp and steak stir fry in a grand marnier and hot pepper sauce. Served with favorite yellow Spanish rice on the side!

Delicious orange base

21 Likes

Hear, hear!

2 Likes

Keeping it real! I’ll be honest I’ve been blessed in life, but even I’m starting to pay attention to and looking at prices a lot more closely lately.

5 Likes

Steamed haddock fillets with black bean sauce, bok choy, and jasmine rice, adapted from Pailin’s Kitchen . Her recipe called for fish steaks, so it didn’t need to steam for nearly as long as called for.

18 Likes

Decided on chicken for dinner.
Wanted something simple.
Went with an old recipe Mom used to make from a 1968 Panhellenic Meats Cookbook (a copy of which one of her sorority friends sent to me when she decided to get rid of it):

Chicken Diable. Melted butter, whisked with honey, spicy brown mustard, s/p, and curry powder, with chicken rolled in sauce mixture and baked for 40 minutes, basting occasionally. This is when I love the Breville convection toaster oven.

Served it over rice pilaf with steamed green beans tossed with butter, s/p, and dried savory.

Wine was a 2019 Longevity chardonnay I picked up at World Market.

22 Likes

Here in Switzerland prices are at least 1.5 times those in the States. There are tomahawk versions of both beef and veal. I see no reason to pay for a large piece of bone that most of us cannot eat while the same cut of meat, without the huge bone, is available for 1/3 less.

9 Likes

Finally tried a tomahawk when lidl had a sale for Father’s Day two years ago. Not prime of course and thirty dollars. It was raining when I cooked it so it was a bit hard to fit in the grill pan. But oh my, something about gnawing on that bone. Yabba dabba do! I am going to miss Lidl

1 Like

To each his or her own!

1 Like

You are lucky if you buy the relevant meat without the bone at a substantial discount. My butcher factors in the cost of bone and ups the price per lb for boneless meat to cover bone loss.

1 Like

Baked chicken and green chili pappardelle, with Oaxacan cheese, sour cream, enchilada sauce, green chilis.

Oh, my!

25 Likes

Could you share the sauce recipe? That looks delicious!!

2 Likes

Steamed silken tofu with crispy fried conpoy

12 Likes