What's for Dinner - #81 - the Planting Month - May 2022

Yum

2 Likes

Happy Birthday, @shrinkrap !

2 Likes

Lovely. I love whole grilled fish and much prefer it over filets.

3 Likes

For Memorial Day, crawfish boil, top neck clams, chilled squash soup and salad with balcony lettuce.

IMG_2614
IMG_2611
IMG_2603

23 Likes

Dinner a couple of nights ago. Cleaning out the fridge and pantry, just a couple of steps ahead of ingredients that would not be good if I waited a few days more.

Motley collection of dishes from various regions.
Erissery ( Kerala dish, using up butternut squash instead of pumpkins, using up red gram beans, using up frozen shredded coconut, using up rapidly dehydrating green chillies)
Aloo mirchi sabzi (standard North Indian, using up bell peppers and threatening-to-sprout potatoes)
Steel cut oats green pulao, bulked up with chickpeas and soya chunks. (Using up green chutney and TJ zhoug, using up the last of the SCO and soya chunks).

Plain yogurt not in the picture. But my two-tier masala dabba inherited from my grandmother is.

20 Likes

That’s the one my mom has! The new ones don’t have the inside “shelf”/cover.

3 Likes

Hope you had a good birthday! And maybe try ordering your burger closer to rare vs. asking for medium rare. That way, maybe you’ll get the desired medium-rare! LOL

2 Likes

Had a very satisfying meal last night. A steak marinated in a simple marinade of olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and cooked in the air fryer. Had that with a baked potato first cooked in the Instant Pot, then transferred to the air fryer (great way to cook baked potatoes), an air fried veggie kabob, and hot rolls.

17 Likes

Today’s dinner (no pictures, as it’s not dinnertime yet).

Usually we cook once and eat two meals. Leftovers are lifesavers. But again I had to move quickly on some more ingredients. Yesterday’s aloo sabzi got finished, and the pulao and erissery leftovers are getting frozen.

Today’s dinner: strawberry gazpacho to use up the strawberries instead of in a cake. Recipe loosely based on this: https://www.forksoverknives.com/recipes/vegan-soups-stews/strawberry-gazpacho/
Garlic toast to go with: brown bread, butter, garlic, finely minced onion, thyme, red pepper flakes.

6 Likes

Yes… maybe. Or maybe I just have to make it at home.

2 Likes

Another quiche: leek, scallion, tarragon, asparagus, bacon, gruyere and a little nutmeg.

Will serve with leafy greens in vinaigrette on the side.

Store-bought crust, and all veggies and herbs from the garden.

22 Likes

sorry, just seeing this. It’s cilantro.

and thank you! I used the Kenji method for the fried shallots, in his book The Wok.

not sure if you can access this, but this looks like the same recipe:

it’s important to know that they won’t get brown for most of the time they’re frying, and then it’ll happen very fast. And I think it took me longer than the time stated. Also, they don’t tend to crisp up until they’re on the paper towels, they’re still quite soft when you pull them out. I probably did too many shallots this time and didn’t figure out the oil ratio correctly, as mine weren’t as crispy as the first batch i did a couple weeks ago. i pulled these when they were golden brown, as i dislike them when they’re too dark. they’re crispy enough for me, but these did have more of a chew than the first batch. still, delicious!

9 Likes

Happy happy!

2 Likes

Tonight I made beef “birria” tacos with shredded meat, mozz and corn tortillas soaked in the broth before frying. Red cabbage slaw alongside. The birria was from Trader Joe’s, and I probably will get it again as it was a great shortcut. At $7.99 for a few ounces I should really make and freeze portions of my own. :woman_shrugging:t2:

19 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was a pseudo Asian soup of my own creation to finish up random veggies
Bok choy, yellow pepper, edamame and udon noodles garnished with sesame seeds and cooked in chicken stock.

15 Likes

Hot weather dinner. Grilled lamb chops with our garden mint made into sauce and asparagus with the last of the ramp leaves used in a risotto. So, so satisfying. A square of Ritual dark chocolate with lavender and juniper for dessert.

20 Likes

Beef moussaka

and Greekish beans

18 Likes

Grilled salmon and bok choy with soy and ginger, adapted from At Home In The Kitchen by David Kinch

The original recipe called for using one pan to sear baby bok choy and then cook salmon on its skin side, basting with a soy sauce, ginger, and garlic pan sauce to firm up the top a bit and flavor it. I made the soy mixture in a separate pan (over reduced it a bit so I had to add some butter to round it out. Heavens forfend.). The bok choy could no longer be classified as “baby” so I split them and cleaned them up and onto the grill outside they went (with a little oil). They took about 6-7 minutes on medium high (just cook on one side and then pull). Then the salmon went down on its skin side, got glazed with the sauce and then I closed the lid and let it go for 5 minutes. No flipping. This yielded a nice gradient of medium rare to medium doneness. Served with jasmine rice and a little more soy-ginger reduction. Leftovers for tomorrow!

21 Likes

I enjoyed my “at-the-cabin” meal in Maine this weekend so much I recreated it tonight with a slight modification. B/S chicken breast marinated in olive oil, Herbs de Provence, garlic powder, s/p, and an addition of dried grated orange peel. Grilled on a grill pan and finished in the oven.

Rice pilaf and steamed green beans alongside. There was wine. Because it’s my virtual Sunday. I really like these extra long weekends. :wink:

And a gratuitous pic of the rhody bush alongside my driveway…not at full flower, but almost there!

23 Likes

I went down a rabbit hole reading about this dish and comparing Nigella’s riff to more traditional recipes. This one sounded really good - although I think I’d stick with the fish finger tweak. Do you use mustard oil? If so, is there a brand you can recommend?

1 Like