What's For Dinner #79 - the Carly Simon "An-ti-ci-pay-yay-shun" Edition - March 2022

Overstuffed corned beef and sauerkraut half sandwich on awesome sourdough with mustard and horseradish. So so good! The annual corned beef is mostly about the leftovers…

22 Likes

I went with comfort food tonight for several reasons, even though the meal was better suited to yesterday’s gray and rainy day. But it also cleared out some freezer space upstairs. Plus I didn’t have time to plan it yesterday. So it was WFD today.

Meat loaf was made with a pound of meat loaf mix (1/3 lb. each of ground beef, pork, and veal) augmented with two 1/3 lb. beef hamburger patties. An egg, 2 tsp of Worcestershire sauce, s/p, 2 heaping Tbsp of caramelized onions, 1 Tbsp of dried minced parsley, and about 1/3 cup of Panko crumbs were all smooshed together, and formed into a loaf to fit in a regular-sized loaf pan. A bit of Panko sprinkled on top, and it was baked at 350° for about 1 hour, 20 minutes, pouring out the excess liquid 45 minutes into the cooking.

Defrosted Guinness Beef Stew gravy was the topping for slices of the meat loaf.

Mashed Yukon Gold potatoes and some defrosted leftover mashed gingered sweet potato were mixed together and that, and baby peas, were the sides.

Along with some wine.

24 Likes

My quickie hybrid fried rice noodles / egg foo young / frittata with egg and vegetables, and my vegetarian version of Olia Hercule’s dad’s borscht with ginger.

20 Likes

Wonderful

1 Like

First time chicken adobo. Thought it was great!

11 Likes

We enjoyed an excellent pre-anniversary dinner at Fiorentini in Rutherford, NJ. Our actual anniversary is on the 27th. We enjoyed our usual awesome dishes of short ribs, red snapper, short rib agnolotti, pillowy soft tortelloni with lamb ragu, cacio pepi stuffed gnocchi with mussels, winter farm salad with apple compote, acorn squash, caramelized walnut, and a yuzu fresno vinaigrette, as well as a surprise anniversary dessert. It all went great with an excelllent Amarone and 2010 Cabernet.

17 Likes

Happy Anniversary!!

4 Likes

Stromboli with ham, provolone and mozz. Choice of marinara or 1000 Island dressing. Garden greens on the side with a little salami and olives.

18 Likes

haha! From the quickest dinner or something thread. With grated Asiago.

18 Likes

First day of spring, it seems some of us are thinking spring peas. Mine are served with duck far roasted chicken thigh, mashed cauli and gravy. Salad of mixed greens, snap peas, radish, red onion, carrot, ranch dressing with lots of Point Reyes blue cheese. Yes, that is a Manhattan you see, there may have been another. Cold on the Southern Oregon coast today.

19 Likes

I needed corned beef redemption! found a local place that’s been around since 1910 and does corned meats of all kinds. Got a super fatty 5 lb. point cut brisket on sale. Stove top for about 3 hours, kolsch beer and water, and in addition to the corning spices that came with it, i added cloves, sliced fresh ginger, and garlic. cooked a chunk of cabbage in with it, pulled it when it was super soft, chopped it up and mixed it into mashed potatoes, and added chopped scallions and parsley butter. OMG, so much butter. TBSTOB doesn’t even cover it. glazed the CB with brown sugar, dijon, mango habanero jelly someone gifted me, and a wee bit of bourbon, then put it under the broiler for a few minutes. Carrots were glazed with maple syrup, minced thyme, and urfa biber. i heated up a little greek yogurt and blended that with a little of the carrot glaze too. Certainly the best corned beef I’ve ever made.

26 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Real nice . I was looking for that corned beef redemption today . Local brand was not available this year. Boiled a popular national brand for st Patrick’s day. Worst one ever . Thought I could have redemption cooking sous vide. Had it my hand before buying. And thought to myself. MMMM… I don’t think so .

2 Likes

We had a delicious and perfectly tender corned beef from Costco, in fact, it was exceptional. Went back to get another one today, but unfortunately, they had none.:frowning: I cooked it in the pressure cooker as I usually do, than ran it under the broiler with Dijon and mustard. Sautéed finely minced onions and cabbage , and oven roasted fingerlings were the accompaniments.

21 Likes

Grilled chicken thighs with homemade bbq sauce, grilled asparagus, glazed carrots.

I uncharacteristically marinated the thighs for a few hours before grilling them and I could be nuts, but I think it made a huge difference. It was just a slapdash marinade of olive oil, cider vinegar, juice of half a lemon, some mustard, some honey and some smoked paprika.
dinner 3.20.22

20 Likes

Nice ! Do you know the brand of the Costco corned beef you enjoyed?

It had a Kirkland label on it, which is the first time I’ve seen their corned beef labeled with the house brand. When I inquired to a gentleman at the meat counter, he said he had purchased two, we both agreed on how good they were.

2 Likes

Happy pre- and actual anniversary to you and Mrs. P!

2 Likes

Sunday night supper of spaghetti with smoked mussels, capers, canned roasted tomatoes, arugula, and lemon. Lots of panko toasted with olive oil for garnish—toasty panko topping is a requirement when I make a seafood-ish pasta.

My inspirations were the Amalfi Coast, this pasta with smoked mussels recipe from The Guardian, and a partial container of very smokey mussels from Cape Ann Fresh Catch.

21 Likes

That sounds so good!

1 Like