What's For Dinner #79 - the Carly Simon "An-ti-ci-pay-yay-shun" Edition - March 2022

Pan seared cod with sauerkraut (cooked in apple juice with bay leafs, cloves, juniper and grated apples and finished with a little bit of cream) and mashed potatoes

17 Likes

Ooh, yum.

Belated St Patrick’s Day corned beef, cabbage and parsley potatoes, prepared by the local farm, reheated by me with the addition of some horseradish cream. Delicious!

22 Likes

As always, Mrs. P rocks! And your pivot to Plan B was tango worthy,

5 Likes

Thank you :blush: Yes, Mrs. P is a rock star :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Woot! Remembered to take a pic of dinner again!

We had reimagined leftovers — pan-fried noodles with mixed vegetables and shrimp.

This was 3 different sets of chinese leftovers (asparagus with tofu, mixed greens, and the vegetables left from an old order of pan-fried noodles, all from our favorite chinese restaurant that we OD’d on while my nephews were visiting — after almost 2.5 years!) PLUS fresh shrimp and rehydrated black mushrooms — and of course fresh noodles.

Tasty for being a mish mosh!

22 Likes

Mezzi paccheri with mussels and Pecorino

28 Likes

I’m with you - fat is good! It must be a genetic thing. My father would regularly get into arguments with servers at delis in Berkeley about wanting fattier slices of corned beef and pastrami.

5 Likes

Are we talking Saul’s?

Which is your favorite Chinese restaurant?

@bcc I’m in Mumbai at the moment - still want to know? :joy:

I’d love to know, in the hope that we’ll get to visit Manhattan again this year.

1 Like

No no - I meant the place I was just referring to is in Mumbai :joy:

In NYC I went to the UWS Jing Fong a few times this summer and enjoyed it very much (as good or better dim sum than my chinatown favorite Dim Sum Go Go). I also tried Blue Willow in midtown, which was great (I wouldn’t call it a favorite yet, but the very discerning friend I went with went back the following week with her family, which was a solid vote of confidence.)

When you’re going to visit you should start a regional thread — the new influx of folks may yield some new recs!

1 Like

Any specific recipe for this or just wing it? It looks fabulous.

Are there any Indian restaurants in Manhattan that you can recommend? I never had any Indian food in American or European Indian restaurants that could compare to what I had in India.

Absolutely - want to start a NYC/Manhattan thread so we’re not derailing WFD?

The Manhattan mod would have to start the thread. Or at least that’s what I think.

Great first post!

2 Likes

Yep! I was worried he’d get banned from there. He had a Hungarian temper, and he once got into a fist fight at the Co-op on Shattuck when another customer criticized him for buying grapes during the grape boycott in 1965. He figured if the Co-op carried them , they must be okay.
On the other hand, my now 33 year old daughter ate her first pickle at Saul’s when she was 6 months old. She still loves them.

4 Likes

Baked Pasta with roasted cauliflower. What’s not to love about cheesy pasta baked in the oven. It’s wonderful comfort food.

21 Likes