What's For Dinner #77 - the "Let's Start Anew" Edition - January 2022

That’s a very good question, which I will have to ask them next time I’m there. I’m assuming that because it has been a bar in one form or another since 1919/1920. Maybe it was grandfathered in for zoning purposes.

And yeah, he has an epic mustache!

2 Likes

I only buy organic, free-range chicken. Never had a problem.

1 Like

I actually really liked it. Smooth on the palate with a nice spice that warms the back of the mouth.

I’d buy a bottle of it for myself. Nice art deco designed bottle too.

Great! When (if) things simmer down, I’ll make a visit to the distillery, which is not far from my apartment.

1 Like

OK, that makes sense re: the grandfathering - didn’t realize it had been a continuous bar since the early 1920s.

1 Like

Not sure how continuous but definitely for different large blocks of time.

I was surprised. At first glance, it struck me as a “novelty” whiskey, one of those beautiful bottles with a story and nothing to write home about flavor-wise whatsoever (there’s too many whiskeys/bourbons like that on the market if you ask me!). But I kept going back to it during the course of the evening. Delicious stuff!

2 Likes

that is awesome! What an adorable place… So cool that you do this…

1 Like

you get an A+ for proper usage/ratio of TPSTOB!

4 Likes

Ooh! Could you please ask him for the recipe?

1 Like

That sure looks good!

Dinner cooked in the oven (carefully, on a timer) while we were at swim lessons: German Brats over baked beans with onions, Austrian-style Sauerkraut, buttercup/acorn squash (not sure - it was a bit stringy and not particularly sweet or flavorful) with Penzey’s Tsardust, butter, and a drizzle of agave.

I really want a cocktail, but we’ve sworn off drinking M-Th at home unless entertaining guests. It’s been a good change overall, but tomorrow will be the 4th day in a row of school cancellation. Ugh!

Off to find a dessert instead…

15 Likes

BF cooked tonight - potstickers! i got so excited this morning when i saw the package of wrappers defrosting in our sink. However, when he opened them, each had a dried rim that was making it impossible for him to seal each dumpling. So he took a timbale cutter thingy and cut circles in each one to get rid of the dried edge. Dedication! He did that to a whole package, and stocked the freezer with dumplings.

Also, his korean pancake, fried tofu with shallots, and little cuke salads.

22 Likes

For about 3 months earlier this year i switched to drinking only Thursday-Saturday. Not only did i not lose a single ounce (my main impetus), i felt no better or worse! :roll_eyes: So, I’m back to having a couple cocktails/glasses of wine a night, skipping only 1 or 2 days a week. life’s too short! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

10 Likes

Serious dinner envy here! It all looks so beautiful, and appetizing - the mood set to perfection with the Japanese serving and dinnerware! Happy eating at your casa for sure! :wine_glass:

4 Likes

that flan is GORGEOUS, and only rivaled by that sweet boy!

2 Likes

Haha, I get it. This was really just to cut out a bad habit of drinking as a default stress reliever and recreation. And to get better sleep and have an easier time exercising the next day. It’s been several months now and we’ll probably stick with it. Overall a good change - for us.

6 Likes

Saag paneer from 660 Curries. The recipe called for a mix of mustard greens and spinach, is that common? I almost didn’t fry the paneer but decided to follow the recipe. I even made the two spice mixes called for by the recipe - Bin Bhuna Hua Garam Masala and Punjabi Garam Masala. So glad I did. Served with bhel puri and basmati rice.

17 Likes

totally get that. keep it up!

wonderful! i was just reading about this recently, because palak paneer is one of my favorite Indian dishes, and i was reviewing a local new Indian place. Saag refers to any leafy green, and palak is spinach, so i guess if the restaurant (or recipe) uses all spinach, it’s palak, and what you made is saag. i really should try making it myself, as we have a good Indian grocery store right around the corner from us so i could buy the paneer. you’ve inspired me!

3 Likes