What's for Dinner #73 - School's Back In! Edition - September 2021

Differentiation. Differentiation. Differentiation.

Last night’s “snacketizer” night was a nice break from the chicken abyss, and while we have steak once a week, tonight felt extra different. Maybe it was the sweet potato. Who knows!

Sirloin steak marinated in two kinds of soy sauce, dry vermouth, olive oil, scallion, garlic, and spices. There was a sweet potato with butter and a sprinkling of brown sugar. Not pictured were mom’s zucchini pie squares and leftover fried artichoke hearts from last night. This was a one pound sirloin that her and I split since the BF does not eat steak.

Even though the weather was crisp, I was craving a G & T. Bombay Sapphire it was. And a splash of Monkey Shoulder Scotch as an after-dinner drink since I’m off tomorrow.

15 Likes

Rice, pork shogayaki (recipe), cabbage, tomato, miso soup.

And sake.

17 Likes

That chicken looks appetizing, and I usually loath white meat chicken.

We had take out Indian today, and I was tempted to try puris but I was sure I’d be disappointed. It doesn’t seem like it would do well as take out.

I couldn’t find "wagyu butter round " references anywhere! How about a picture?

Think it may have been a typo on the sale flyer that they ran with so it’s also on the packaging label?

It looks like a thin, large steak (maybe 1") and not too marbled. So some kind of round… What do I do with round steak?

1 Like

I would come ask folks on HO!

I’m thinking a braise, but I don’t know that I’ve ever made one, nor how the wagyu factors in.

That bowl of potato cheddar soup. :star_struck:Thanks for sharing!

It’s potato season again for the CSA and that looks like a delicious way to use up some spuds.

1 Like

Corn and potato chowder topped with frizzled prosciutto, just to be extra. I include carrots for color and a flavor boost.

Not pictured: focaccia I baked with Spice House’s Everything Bagel seasoning on top.

12 Likes

Our CSA ended over a month ago. I miss it, but not all the beets.

2 Likes

I am not a fan of beets either. They’re not for me, no matter which preparation I try.

1 Like

This may not be popular but I’d most likely treat it like a tri-tip. Marinade in teriyaki and burn it to a crisp over wood on a grill.

1 Like

I don’t usually buy chicken breast unless I’m making my mom’s pan roast or chinese poached chicken. I think the low and slow cooking method for both those preps leads to silky and moist breast meat, rather than stringy.

You’re right - they are best eaten hot.

Though my mom - and sil too - would argue that cold puris are a separate food group. They actually are: in the “old days” people would undertake long train journeys with puris - and assorted other things that don’t spoil easily for a few days without refrigeration. But I’m still not a fan.

Puris are actually the easiest indian bread to make at home - dough is less fussy, rolling out is a breeze compared to chapati, and cooking them is just about the right oil temp - vs chapatis which have multiple finicky steps (even though they are consumed daily and should logically be much easier than puris which were special occasion food).

One little tip - you can buy frozen puris now at indian stores! (Fry them fresh at home.)

4 Likes

Thursday. Mussels … Pasta …

10 Likes

::::groan::::: LOL

2 Likes

I saw it somewhere else and reacted exactly like you did. But it’s too good not to share!

1 Like

I didn’t get it the first time.

Good question- I think a lot of the people that weighed in already are correct. I think of Nugget as a slightly special western grocery store. I don’t exactly think of it as boutique since they also try and make a big deal of price comparing with other grocery stores (one in Davis has a giant board they update with specific items).

That said, when we were in the area we more commonly went there for treats, too, like the cheeses, the diverse soda selection, decent bread before it was common, etc.

And now?

After I read @LindaWhit’s post, I got it.

3 Likes

I love this book but don’t cook from it often enough. I’ll try to rectify that.

And, of course, I live in an upside-down house. That’s how I roll.

5 Likes

really? i’ve seen it dozens of times, in fancy food stores but also not, just regular grocery stores. canned, jarred, sometimes in vacuum-sealed packs… I’m not trying to be snooty, i swear, but where do you live that you haven’t seen it?