What's for Dinner #73 - School's Back In! Edition - September 2021

Well……….actually 20 years ago when this employee started working for me (she was vegetarian at the time) she got me into Indian food. While I was really enjoying it, I started realizing a correlation between stomach issues and my enjoyment of Indian cuisine.

Seal introduced me to this place for its lamb which is fantastic, so now I’m testing the waters again hoping my stomach is stronger!!

(So far so good!!)

6 Likes

Niku udon, some pork and chive dumplings from the freezer, and broccolini.

14 Likes

More “Ethiopian and friends.”

I’m kinda fed up of the rice+quinoa I’ve been eating all week (even though it’s tasty), so I tried my hand at another round of not-quite-injera. Last time I used nachni/ragi/finger millet flour, tonight I used just plain flour, following a middle eastern recipe. Fermented about an hour or so, then cooked into crepes. My only critique is that I thinned the batter too much - otherwise they would have been a really good approximation.

I also made my favorite Ethiopian bean dish (but apparently not other people’s, because it is not easy to find recipes or pictures) - Buticha. It’s a cooked batter of chickpea & fava (or either), seasoned very simply, and then cooled until it thickens up and becomes chunky. Tastes much better than it sounds :joy:

Rest of the meal was leftover Yebeg Alicha / stewed lamb and chilli roasted cauliflower.

Enough of the lamb for one more meal, and buticha for a couple more. And a few more crepes, so that’s convenient.

14 Likes

Had the most delightful martini tonight: Stoli, Dolin Blanc (instead of my usual dry), and lemon. So smooth!

Dinner was Amylu chicken sausage on split-top Brioche buns, grilled asparagus, chips, and some pasta salad I whipped up quickly. I’m not a big mayo guy so I went heavy on the Dijon. Also added sliced jumbo green olives which brought a nice salty bite!

15 Likes

Ethiopian buttermilk curd spiced with niter kibbeh for my collards.

10 Likes

Ooo! Oooo! I know this one! (Raising hand).

We just did this! I remember the difference being cornstarch vs corn flour!

Oh. You took my answer. :flushed:

3 Likes

that looks phenomenal!

1 Like

I spotted the BMW fob. Swear on your children right here that you use your turn signals! :rage:

(Actually the wife’s car, and no she doesn’t)

1 Like

Here in Massachusetts, someone would be yelling “use yah blinkah!” Especially with the out-of-state plates.

(That was a real Mass DOT sign used on RT95 or RT93 from a few years ago…loved it!)

5 Likes

The color in this dish of roasted vegetables is too pretty not to share. Asian eggplant is my very favorite type to roast because the texture is less likely to be spongy.

This, a chunk of feta, a couple of whole wheat pitas from our freezer stash and dinner was served.

18 Likes

A quiet raining Friday afternoon at home with a lovely Eel and Pasta Lunch …

10 Likes

I have not tried freezer jam, but I’ve tried almost everything else unsuccessfully. You lose the flavor nuances and the texture is off. Ice cream, custard, cheesecake, pawpaw bread, milkshake, etc. Please let me know if you try something and how it turns out. I’ve seen it featured on restaurant menus here.

2 Likes

I’m sure that’s what my fake injera recipe is requesting, rather than cornstarch.

1 Like

This is what’s for dinner over the next month or so
Two sides of steelhead trout, skinned, portioned, vac bagged for individual meals and went into the freezer. The tails and bellies are heading to the smoker

18 Likes

Ok, you know I’m going to ask for the recipe, since I’ve just been talking about doing injera but something easier than the traditional teff flour path. Especially if you liked everything except the texture was kind of thin.

It very much resembles the color of fall foliage. Beautiful.

3 Likes

Exactly what I was thinking of when I read @NotJrvedivici 's post. Of course there’d probably be a few swears added in there for good measure. :wink: (And when I used to live and drive in NJ in the 70s/80s, I used my blinkah even then!)

3 Likes

Yet another riff on the roasted tomato/chickpea/feta dish. This time (last night) with farm stand tomatoes/chickpeas/broccolini/local delicious feta/TJ’s Italian soy sausage/copious amounts of mint and parsley because I need more green things in my life. Lots of olive oil and liberal shakes of Penzeys Szechuan Roasted Salt and Pepper at various stages. Served over Barilla protein+ spaghetti. B ate nearly 3/4 of the entire dish…glad my vintage Dansk roasting dish is getting a workout. Tzatziki potato salad on the side just because.

18 Likes

Yum. Do you include cucumbers? Or is it that you use tzatziki-style dressing on the potatoes?

1 Like