What's For Dinner #72 - Wait, Summer Is Almost Over? Edition - August 2021

More fish, as the BF comes home tomorrow. Butterfish (aka black cod) dredged in rice flour, cayenne, s&p, fried capers, composed butter of scallions, lemon, dill, and cayenne, arugula dressed with evoo, s&p, COTC with EBTB (and TPSTOB), and bok choy on its last legs, sauteed with soy, sesame oil, mirin, and Fly by Jing chili crisp. Another glass of the cheapo Spanish Barbadillo.

i’ll miss the fish but i miss the BF more.

18 Likes

Your mom’s zucchini pie looks great. Any chance we could get the recipe? (Everything else looks good too!)

1 Like

I will try to get it for you tomorrow. It’s an old one!

Strip the veg bin soup. Half a head romaine, quarter head broccoli, handful sorrel, a dozen button mushrooms, 4 little zucchini, onion, garlic, chicken broth, blitzed with immersion blender, garnished with sour cream, guanciale, green onion. Intriguing and complex. Enjoyed the moment since it’s a one timer.
Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 5.19.48 PM

15 Likes

So interesting. These are not synonyms where I am. Black cod is also known as sable, and butterfish are small and flat, suitable for pan frying whole, and very cheap, like $3/lb.

Butterfish:
butterfish\

Black cod:
Screenshot 2021-08-24 at 23-00-07 Sablefish Black Cod - Browne Trading Species Definition

3 Likes

Tonight we had frozen lasagne and a quick salad.

I am making a nice lunch for my kiddo’s pre-school teachers: Caprese pasta salad, banana pudding (made the custard and whipped cream), fruit salad, focaccia, and some purchased spinach-artichoke dip and Italian sliced deli meats. Raspberry lemonade to drink.

17 Likes

interesting… i dunno. that’s what the sign said at my fishmonger’s! :slightly_smiling_face:

i think what I got was $23/lb…

also, i found this:

COMMONLY REFERRED TO AS “Black Cod”, “Alaska Cod”, or even “Butterfish”, the Sablefish is not actually a member of the cod family, nor is it the true butterfish. Rather, it is of the family Anoplopomatidae, which is confined to the icy waters off the Pacific Northwest. Due to its extremely high oil content for a white-fleshed fish, the Sablefish is renowned for its rich, buttery flavor. So it’s no wonder it sometimes bears the alias of “butterfish”. Its true name is actually derived from its small, dark brown to black scales, which feel almost velvety to the touch – perhaps like the fur of a sable.”

4 Likes

oooh banana pudding… i want to make that one day soon… i recently had an amazing version of it at a BBQ joint - swoon-worthy.

haha - at first i thought those were hard-boiled eggs on top of mashed potatoes! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

When I travel, I’m often stymied by the regional names of fish, which seem to vary wildly from place to place. My two most recent international trips were to Aruba and the Dominican Republic, and I was almost comically unable to match the menu name of a fish to something I was familiar with (and I’m familiar with a lot of fish). Whitefish apparently means whatever you want it to mean, which is confusing to this lifelong bruncher who thinks it means exactly one thing: a smoked fish you put on a bagel.

Calling sable buttery seems pretty fancy. It’s oily.

2 Likes

Umm… what?
That’s very, very nice.

3 Likes

That duck!!! Looks fabulous… :heart:

2 Likes

A few good meals lately, but many not pictured due to ennui/apathy!:scream_cat: Yet we never do not eat well, thankfully - one of life’s steadfast pleasures in uncertain times.
The best meal lately was a belated celebration at a favorite Vietnamese restaurant in Seattle - the Tamarind Tree, located in the International District. DD2 & SIL joined us there. We branched out and had different stuff than usual, but all excellent. Especially notable was the beef on lemongrass skewers and some excellent fresh rolls with a pork patty and something wonderfully crunchy, but not vegetable, something cracker like. We ended with coconut custard cake, which we brought, and coconut & coffee ice creams. Oh so good! Sorry but no pics.
Also, at home, a doctored up take n bake pizza (again, ennui) and some chicken tacos with aji verde. Also made a baked rice dish with green chiles, tomatoes, cheeses and zucchini, crookneck and sautéed onion. Baked, and sooo delicious. Getting the bug to start cooking again, I think, we’ll see…

14 Likes

Butterfish is an Icelandic fish variety similar to Dover Sole.

Black Cod is from Norway (Skrei) or The Northern Pacific - Arctic Oceans. And is often called Sable whether freshly captured or smoked.

Very different taste profiles. Looks like Cod as it is a thick slab.

Butterfish is totally different in texture, and possesses an immense finesse …

Oh dear…please take care. Also, from one Asian mom of a boy to another, I think your son makes you work too hard. :wink:

10 Likes

If you paid $23, it is probably sable fish. I have never had sable fish but interesting when I had a visitor recently, ( granddaughter of the famous chef Germaine in DC< now closed . Germaine’s was the place for politician, journalist and famous people even julia child to dine at. I served dinner lamenting how I missed my chilean seabass because it has became unaffordable, she told me to use sable fish which is almost similar to chilean sea bass and cheaper. I then called Reliant Sea Food in Jessup where I visit perhaps once or twice./year as they are wholesaler to restaurants and grocery store. However, they only open 2:00am-9:00am and is quite a distance for me.) They told me at times, the sablefish and the chilean seabass are the same price he quoted me $23/lb for the sablefish but he did not have chilean sea bass that then. So, you probably received sable fish.

From the picture , I think it is sable fish as butterfish is small, lots of bones. Lovely dinner and presentation!

3 Likes

We had lots of cherry tomatoes to use, so I cooked a new recipe called “Greek Sheet Pan Chicken Dinner” I found online from Downshiftology.com

It’s a keeper. The chicken was juicy . The vegetables stayed firm and with the olives and feta tasted like eating a warm Greek salad. Not sure how authentic it is, so decided to post in this thread…

Chicken tray bake 3

We had it for 2 dinners for the 2 of us. There were lots of juices in the tray and some crusty bread would have been a good accompaniment but we didn’t have any.

17 Likes

It’s one of my all-time favorites! My SIL makes a recipe with cream cheese, which is also very good. I used this one. Next time I might use Chessmen cookies.

1 Like

As a welcome back to school. It’s hard work (two weeks with kiddo home was enough to remind me!). Even harder during COVID.

3 Likes

That looks really good. We have so much zucchini to get through. I think I’ll try this!

1 Like

Quite right. “Whitefish” is a sloppy term for lean, non-pink fish, particularly in areas where the real smoked product is not traditional.