What's For Dinner #72 - Wait, Summer Is Almost Over? Edition - August 2021

I share your red onion love :smiley:

3 Likes

These are “Stockton reds” that we buy from a farmer in Lodi. He claims you can eat them like apples. I won’t go that far but they are sweet and delicious.

3 Likes

they look just great. you get the hang of working with the rice paper after a while. I’m sure she’ll perfect this skill soon enough!

2 Likes

Simple salad with sous vide beets . Jasmine rice . Grilled bone in lamb loin chop . Cheers.

14 Likes

BLTs for lunch at my sister’s yesterday, take-out for dinner, and today i made myself a focaccia sandwich with a fabulous French butter, coppa, marinated sheep/goat cheese/arugula, tomatoes, and olive oil, after a 6 mile walk. BF is out of town visiting family, and although I was still pretty full from lunch, I’d already bought some fish, so… Sole in a turmeric/lemongrass/thai bird chili sauce, sauteed in peanut oil and a little butter. Fresh pad thai noodles, and a nuoc cham-ish sauce with Fly By Jing chili sauce. Pan fried the fish, tossed the noodz in the sauce, served with cilantro, scallions, and Thai basil. FORGOT THE FUCKING GARLIC PEANUTS which were literally my inspiration for making the dish - BF’s out of town, a rare occasion, he loves them, can’t eat them, don’t buy them to avoid torturing him, bought some today, and FORGOT TO USE THEM. GAH. so i’m snacking on them now with another glass of Spanish, cheap-ass/bone-dry Barbadillo.

BLT with basil mayo

16 Likes

Yum. I’m hankering for poutine now, Greg! Sigh. (I like mine drowning in gravy - what kind did mom make?) Woke up to find my bread had turned mouldy - poutine would have been a nice substitute. And I didn’t know that you had Aldi there!

1 Like

Eli, here’s what I do to make spring rolls with the rice wrappers:
Put the dry disk on a large cutting board, with all fillings at hand. Have a wide brush and bowl of water ready. Brush the water on the dry wrapper and begin piling ingredients. By the time that is done, the wrappers should be soft enough to finish the roll.

Whenever the dry disks gets dipped, it’s too much moisture and they are too soft.

I hope this helps!

6 Likes

Splendid looking quiche.

1 Like

Sunday in Benicarlo - Castellón.

MONDAYCHARCUTERIETWO236686963_10216965775731266_3370401413895158334_n

12 Likes

We were holed up indoors because of Henri on Sunday. I put the time to use by roasting tomatoes, green peppers, onion, garlic scape, and a small chili with olive oil for this hearty pasta dinner.

My husband requested meat, so I added what we had—Debrecener sausage from the freezer—to the roasting vegetables. The smokiness of the sausage dominated too much for me. He was happy.

12 Likes

I’ll have a plate, please.

2 Likes

Back when I was young and energetic, I used to make those beggers’ purses for dinner parties. Ours were filled with paglia e fieno. What’s in those?

1 Like

Well, central and western MA got hit harder, as did parts of CT and RI. But in my area north of Boston, it was just another rainy Sunday. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The surface you place the rice paper on also makes a big difference in terms of sticking - trial and error for what’s at hand, but try a wooden board and a silicone mat too. A few years ago I bought a set of perforated plastic discs made specifically for this purpose, but I can’t say they made a vast difference.

I usually give the rice paper a very quick dip or rinse and drip off any excess before laying down.

But mostly, it’s just practice. Also - there has to be enough filling (including veg) to keep it plump - underselling also makes rolling tricky.

@paryzer Mrs. P’s summer rolls look like a work of art compared to what I was putting out when I started :joy:

3 Likes

Thank you @bogman and @Saregama for your advice! I will pass it on to Mrs. P. The instructions said to soak them in warm water for 15 seconds which was way too long. I like the idea of using the brush on a cutting board, or possibly maybe just a quick spray of water instead of a full soak.

2 Likes

@Pilgrim,

There were 3 actually that 3 people had (not me) …

1 was like an aubergine parmigiana
1 was assorted vegetables
1 was like a veal stew

The dough used is the same one used to prepare a lasagne or ravioli – the sheets
and they were much smaller that the photographs show.

3 Likes

Went with chicken, tomato and feta spaghetti because the tomatoes on my counter were crying out to be used just as their brethren were a couple of weeks ago. :wink:

I deboned a couple of chicken thighs instead of a half a chickie boobie, and cooked fresh spaghetti vs. a reheat of leftover sketti as I used last time, but otherwise the same process:

Butter-sauteed 3 small chopped tomatoes, then splooshed in some white wine and dried thyme, then the sliced chicken thigh meat was added to cook along with a smidge of heavy cream.

Tossed in the cooked spaghetti with some freshly ground pepper. Crumbled feta cheese was added to give some saltiness to it and sauce it up, and it was dinner. Just as good as it was the first time.

16 Likes

Pan seared steelhead cooked quickly in a very hot carbon steel pan so it was crisp on the surface yet medium/med-rare internal served with a side of sliced mini cucumbers drizzled with a little mustard based salad dressing.

8 Likes

Saturday night, local grouper and shrimp sauteed in
butter, with CSA zucchini, okra, and salad.

Last night, leftover meatloaf, mash, and spinach.

Tonight, Beninoise peanut chicken, cauli-jasmine rice, and ranch zucchini bake with Parm and panko. DH plated :laughing:

20 Likes

That’s a nice looking bottle of vodka!

1 Like