What's For Dinner #72 - Wait, Summer Is Almost Over? Edition - August 2021

That pasta with corn, tomatoes and goat cheese looks amazing!

2 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

My large pot of basil went south. I had to buy some in the grocery. Our tomatoes are still coming on strong, and you can’t have tomatoes without basil!!

3 Likes

I think Bomba rice was use for Barca;'s party . I do paella often enough but use Bomba, which is considered one of the best for paella ( so I am told )

I notice that Barca says the best rice for paella is Valenciana rice. I have always used bomba and I reserve 3 broth to 1 cup rice. Other rice uses 2:1. Bomba is still considered by some as the best rice for paella. However, I have known that amount of broth to be sometimes insufficient. So when I am making paella for a large group of people, I would have extra broth like a quart of clam juice and a bottle of white wine just in case the rice is dry .

2 Likes

It was ordered by my parents and inlaws at a Restaurant.

My husband and I did not order a rice dish.

At home, we use Arborio Ecological from Valencia. However, each to their own palate.

It truly was not good … However, my father spoke with the manager and we know the restaurant well.

2 Likes

I am glad the manager made it up.
I do use bomba and found it to need occasionally more than 3;1. ratio of broth.
used to have my son’s friends gather here for smoked pork, barbecued pork or spareribs but since I became allergic to red meat, having alpha gal, he suggested paella, having lived on Spain during summer, at Ibiza for 5-7 years. So, I make a sea

paella but for the soffrito, I can get duck sausage without the casing together with tomato, celery, carrots, and smoked bell red pepper and /or habanero .
I admire all the food that you present. Beautiful presentation as well.
Here is a paella party for his friends. he complains that I have too much sea food. he says, let the rice shine. but, I like it that way all the same and would prefer to have large prawns with head on and suck n the head but not here, the gust throws them away, so I stopped using them.

16 Likes

That is a thing of beauty!! We had a friend from Brazil who moved to Spain and taught us how to make paella. There’s no one way, as we learned. Some put rabbit in it. I’m of the seafood persuasion but do like a bit of chorizo or linguicia in mine. The sofrito and the saffron make heaven. I like artichokes, as well.

2 Likes

Today’s dinner would be whatever son wants when he and friends return home for his outing at the beach. ( I never know how many will turn up) There is oven roasted tomato sauce made last night, which he can eat with store bought Italian meatballs, I also cooked a pot of filipino chicken adobo. I prefer my adobo gravy to be thick but son likes a lot of gravy, almost like soup. If I do not make enough gravy, he would ask midway thru the dish to make more gravy. I also like to add a can of coconut milk occasionally. Also baked 3 Italian Cucuzza bread loaf (2 with pecan nuts and one with chocolate and cocoa powder . Unfortunately, I preroasted the pecan nuts but forgot to placed them in the bottom of the baking dish and so, 10 minutes before it was ready, I inserted some of the nuts but a few came out burnt.
The chocolate cocoa one looks burnt but it is not. I used TJ’s 72% dark chocolate.
![90800D0B-EA36-423C-B7E1-B0185F370151|700x525](upload://z3p
![0F495F5A-FF8F-419D-A03B-2DC5A0D40269|700x525](upload://6TA

Ju3f6c34wpiIBstYdVtiXepP.jpeg)
WrExMTQm6SBNcCWmiI5vQTsq.jpeg)

13 Likes

Frustrating because some photos did not upload???

15 Likes

Thanks @paryzer - it all looks fabulous, and I’m sure tasted the same. Will have to remember a pistachio crust for lamb chops.

1 Like

A couple of errands buying stuff for work. Love that the humidity broke and we had a perfect summer Sunday.

Then a simple dinner: roasted BISO chicken thighs seasoned with just s/p and cooked in the convection oven, spooning a bit of the rendered fat over top several times.

Made a quick ginger-peach sauce with freshly minced ginger root (shredded in a small food processor), pureed fresh peaches, dark brown sugar, minced fresh rosemary and cider vinegar. The lone side was steamed green beans with toasted almonds and butter. Well, and a glass of wine.

18 Likes

That’s an ambitious meal. Looks delicious, I’ve been solo for 3 days while DH has his Porsche on the track at Watkins Glen. Have been ploughing through our garden tomatoes, but tonight it was just cheese and crackers. I can’t get it up to cook for myself. He’ll be home tomorrow so we will have a proper meal. I have a jar of Stonewall Kitchen Sloppy Joe Sauce, ground round thawing, some bulky rolls in the freezer. Also a jar of Stonewall Kitchen corn relish, which is always a treat. And yes, there will be wine!

7 Likes

A perfectly acceptable dinner!

4 Likes

Busy day today. Lots of errands, we both got our first vaccine shot (yes, I know, what were we waiting for? Just kept putting it off), and then a relaxing walk in the park.

BF made Tuscan Chicken tonight (spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, red bell pepper, garlic, onion, and spices in a creamy tomato sauce) and prosciutto garlic bread (a whole stick of butter, head of garlic, rosemary from our garden, Italian seasoning, prosciutto, shaved parmesan, and a balsamic glaze). No vampires tonight. I was relegated to sous chef duties, but I didn’t mind.

Was going to skip the booze but this meal was too good and called for a glass of wine.

20210815_195623

Prep pics:

17 Likes

Oh, yum. I’m hungry. I haven’t had a proper meal in3 days. Thick with tourists on Cape Cod and I dare not venture out to drive anywhere so I’m in August bunker mode. September will be liberating…

5 Likes

And it may also be a two-course dinner, depending on how it’s consumed!

4 Likes

Congrats on the vax!

4 Likes

An upside-down martini, happy birthday Julia.

Dinner was a melange. Peruvian blsl chicken thighs with aji verde. Fingerling papas bravas with smoky aioli and pan con tomate from Spain. A salad of mixed heritage, grilled corn, cherry tomatoes, avocado, red onion. piquillo pepper, parsley with a sherry vinegar dressing.

14 Likes

how fun for you guys!

ok, i love that shaker! is it copper or is that just the lighting?

1 Like

More of Ina’s fresh tomato pasta. with spaghetti this time, but I really do prefer it with capellini/angel hair - the spaghetti just doesn’t seem to soak up as much of the juice. I used all TJs Early Girl tomatoes instead of any cherry toms this time. So good and summery.

Also, buttermilk brined pork chops marinated since yesterday afternoon, with crushed garlic, smoked paprika & salt. Rubbed them with a coffee/smoked paprika/granulated onion & garlic/brown sugar/fennel pollen/salt rub, then sous-vided them for 1 hour at 140. JUICY!!

15 Likes