What's For Dinner #72 - Wait, Summer Is Almost Over? Edition - August 2021

Enjoy it! One thing I’ve learned is that one tiny package is usually quite enough. it seems to intensify with continued heat, getting darker and richer. I used two packets once and almost died the entire kitchen.

A few more, including tonight’s dinner, to be caught up at last. In order, chicken fried chicken filets, mashed potatoes & gravy, and the first of the garden green beans; black bean, kale, and corn tacos, with aji verde - not pictured were fresh pico de gallo, bean dip, and chips. The tacos and all were great. Lastly, tonight was a fresh veg and shrimp stir fry over rice with chile crisp. Garden veggies and sweet Walla Walla onion.

Due to seasonal cooking ennui, went out a couple times, and also picked up takeout to fill in when the inspiration was lacking.

15 Likes

Another dinner float in the going away parade. A smoked pork butt, homemade mustard bbq, and coleslaw made from the first cabbage harvested from my garden outside.

I understand after doing this a few times why good bbq is so $$$. 10 hrs to smoke (under smoky skies no less), 20 minutes to consume. I’m lucky if there is 3oz of meat left, and it’s only bc they all had 2 sandwiches, and I had 1 and insisted they leave my portion for tomorrow.

17 Likes

This is a small jar of ink Maybe mix a little with my morning elixir. Clam juice straight. Now add a touch of cuttlefish ink . You bet . I’m aware of the squidness and love it .And I’m the young kid who was eating fishing bait . Those prawns were delicious. Fishing off the Santa Cruz wharf for Perch .

4 Likes

I have a vast collection of dinnerware, but I love Corelle. That is a nice pattern you have. Not to mention the Brussels sprouts!!

2 Likes

We are eating masses of melons. And lovely stone fruit. Eating summer, when you think of it… (And okay protein and starch too but I swear, the fruit gets eaten first!)

Anyway this year for the first time we tried Hami melons and we are in love. So good! And we then tried a Santa Claus melon and that was dandy too.

I have always loved breakfast for dinner, my husband? Not so much. But suddenly he now loves it as well so we are having egg white scrambles, or home made bagels with home made gravlax (and wine) or just bacon and something. Somehow it’s just much more fun when dinner doesn’t have to be dinner!

12 Likes

Kokotxas are to die for ! A favourite of our´s.

Baked Alaska, 2 different rice dishes, a tiny salad of marine lettuces …
Multi Michelin Starred Chef Quique Dacosta, Dénia … (Also has restaurants and bars in Alicante, Valencia & Madrid Capital ). My dear has worked with him over the years providing photographs.

8 Likes

I forgot you are from God’s Country (too).

1 Like

You can’t beat the sturdiness of Corelle. A set that I bought my grandmother, with earnings from my high school job, was still going strong decades after her passing. My mother continued to use the dishes. They were still as good as new when the time finally came to sell the family home.

2 Likes

Some more art of plating photographs from tonite´s anniversary

dinner. Photo of restaurant; The 2 fish: Sargo and Urta (Red banded bream = Urta, and the other fish is WHITE SEA BREAM FROM GALICIA, Eel and a fruit dessert which was truly lovely. )

10 Likes

Are congratulations in order? :grinning:

1 Like

My inlaws !!!

Thank you for your kind wishes …

1 Like

Happy Anniversary to your in-laws! What an exquisite dinner and beautiful photos!

1 Like

A bit pedestrian. Big salad with the last of the anchovy croutons. Homemade ranch applied post photo. Hit the spot after a bbq lunch.

Gratuitous photo of a couple of huge yachts parked in Rockland (Maine) Harbor.

20 Likes

I had no idea what to make for dinner so I rummaged through the freezer and found a package Botto’s Mediterranean Lamb Meatballs. These occasionally show up at my local grocery store and when they do I’ll buy a package to have on hand for nights such as this.

I made a quick sauce of crushed tomatoes, ras el hanout, aleppo pepper, sumac, and smoked paprika. Every thing simmered together until hot. Served with feta, tzatziki, and, Stonefired Naan in lieu of pita.

IMG_1748

16 Likes

Haircut.
Which means a visit to Wegmans.
Which was postponed to visit my sister and BIL on the South Shore and do some meandering with her.
Then Wegmans near me at 4 p.m.
My usual 5-week Wegmans pickup of local fresh scallops.
I went for all coral-colored scallops, despite them being slightly smaller.
Five of them cost me a total of $6.00 exactly. WAY less than what would be spent in a restaurant for 3 of them.

Pan-seared in butter, and served on lemon-pepper rice pilaf (doctored Near East) with steamed asparagus.

Talley Chardonnay as the libation.

It was a good day.

20210814_194631

20 Likes

Gorgeous sear on those scallops!

5 Likes

@retrospek @tomatotomato

There is no doubting Correlle’s sturdiness. They have a wonderful longevity. Nothing against them, it’s just a running joke that they have been around most of my life and I grew tired of them and needed a change of scenery with “different” dinnerware!

1 Like

That looks like the perfect plate to me!

1 Like