What's For Dinner #72 - Wait, Summer Is Almost Over? Edition - August 2021

Haircut.
Which means a visit to Wegmans.
Which was postponed to visit my sister and BIL on the South Shore and do some meandering with her.
Then Wegmans near me at 4 p.m.
My usual 5-week Wegmans pickup of local fresh scallops.
I went for all coral-colored scallops, despite them being slightly smaller.
Five of them cost me a total of $6.00 exactly. WAY less than what would be spent in a restaurant for 3 of them.

Pan-seared in butter, and served on lemon-pepper rice pilaf (doctored Near East) with steamed asparagus.

Talley Chardonnay as the libation.

It was a good day.

20210814_194631

20 Likes

Gorgeous sear on those scallops!

5 Likes

@retrospek @tomatotomato

There is no doubting Correlle’s sturdiness. They have a wonderful longevity. Nothing against them, it’s just a running joke that they have been around most of my life and I grew tired of them and needed a change of scenery with “different” dinnerware!

1 Like

That looks like the perfect plate to me!

1 Like

Sliced Early Girl from the garden, evoo, balsamic glaze, diced red onion, basil, gss & p. Fried pork chop, s & p, basted with garlic, thyme butter. Swiss chard from the farmers market, sauteed with bacon, onion, garlic and chicken broth.

18 Likes

We enjoyed another fabulous dinner at Bistro D’Azur in South Orange, NJ. We enjoyed seared scallops; octopus; watermelon, feta, and prosciutto salad; swordfish; lambchops, and Spanish chips. It all went great with an excellent Chateauneuf du Pape and 2009 Napa cabernet.

9 Likes

The BF and I are now working together, and in the restaurant biz no less. Right on the shore on a Saturday in the summer = an insanely busy day! No mood to cook tonight, so delivery Chinese it was. But not before drinks outside (including my Saturday night martini-- Bombay gin). And a new season of “Grace and Frankie”. A good night!

16 Likes

Remarkably outstanding …

Have a lovely weekend.

1 Like

@paryzer - those lamb chops look absolutely amazing, but my curiosity is piqued by the swordfish - please describe the delectable looking morsels atop; are they shrimp?

2 Likes

Unfortunately, the rices were too dry. We did not have the rices but my parents & inlaws were quite disappointed.

However, the Manager who was asked to meet my dad outside the restaurant, was very kind and gave us a discount and a free bottle of Cava.

These things happen … This type of rice is not simple to prepare. I personally prefer the Valencian Arborio Ecological for paellas however, this was the special of the evening – the “arroz bomba” which we do not care for.

However, we were brought some other amuses boûches that were amazing.

Unfortunately, the owner - chef was on holiday / vacation.

2 Likes

I hear you on this. Exactly the reason I did not keep the Corelle from the family home. Those dishes will outlast us all. :laughing:

2 Likes

Unfortunately, I was stupid. I received a porcelain dinnerware set as a wedding gift from my siblings in 1972. I used it only for sit down parties and for special occasions. Bought a set of corelle for everyday use. How stupid was I when in 2010, decided to have newer look , purchased black colorwave squares set . Very trendy! gave the corelle set away! I regretted that move bec the black color waves shows fingerprint grease marks even as I take them out of the dishwasher, and scratch marks which fortunately can be buffed with bar keeper. But, the worse is that they are very heavy . The funniest thing is when my Chinese Carpenter returned from NY for a project, he absolutely refused to use the black stoneware saying that black is bad omen ! He stayed for a week and used my fine China, which are not microwavable and burnt the silver rims!!! That was the last straw!!! I went back to Walmart and purchased another set of Corelle!

7 Likes

Made tomato sauce last night but unike previous times, I preroasted the ripe tomatoes in 400 degree oven with EVOO, herb, garlic until the skin split, , almost charred and then, I blended them, skin and all till smooth . Into the French oven, with more EVOO, herbs, peppercorn, salt and a pinch of sugar , preroasted garlic in EVOO, pre caramelized onions , smoked Spanish paprika and simmered the sauce after it came to a boil. . At the last half. hour, I added a stick of butter, and a splash of balsamic vinegar. The total time in oven was an hour and stove top was 2 hours. The sauce was thick without having to add any starch . When son returns home late today with his friends from their usual overnight boating trip, this will be served with Italian Deli gourmet meatballs with lots of cheese and spaghetti. Left over will be frozen .
![7DF75DC2-808F-4240-A05E-7CF94AB1A91F|700x525](upload://6TyMsPIqg4EOK1TZDIDG1atwYaB.jpeg

9 Likes

sorry but the picture did not
7DF75DC2-808F-4240-A05E-7CF94AB1A91F
upload?
Here it is

15 Likes

What a great story. Thank you for sharing, ccj!

2 Likes

Last night’s dinner: a public service announcement for tomatoes and corn. This week’s haul from our CSA share meant this pasta dish had to happen.

I usually use olive oil, pasta cooking water, and a dab of butter for the sauce. This time I subbed goat cheese for the butter. The result? Tangy deliciousness. Fresh basil on top would have been delightful but I had none.

16 Likes

somehow, last year and this year, my basil plants died prematurely!! Reason???I miss them

1 Like

Thanks @Lambchop! Those were grilled prawns on top of the swordfish. It also came with orzo, spinach, dill, kalamata olive, grape tomato, escabeche.
The delicious lamb chops were pistachio crusted with an excellent chermoulah sauce with red peppercorns, and came with pearl couscous, dried fruit, haricots vert, and spiced carrots.

2 Likes

Thank you @Barca ! Enjoy the rest of your weekend as well.
I’m so sorry that your in laws didn’t enjoy the dry rice. I think it is called socarrat. Some people really like that in their paella.
At least the manager made it up to you.

2 Likes

Too hot, maybe?

P.S. We can’t grow basil at our current house because the many critters—rabbits, groundhogs, and more—eat our herbs and vegetables. Some year we’ll build a critter-proof enclosure. This isn’t the year.

1 Like