What's For Dinner #72 - Wait, Summer Is Almost Over? Edition - August 2021

I always do - I think it adds both flavor and texture!

I realized only recently that there’s also toasted flour in Burmese salads - in that case it’s besan / gram flour. Trying to get my head around that as a finishing ingredient - I’ve only ever toasted chickpea flour as a starting point for sweet or savory dishes…

Yes! Every time I make it I wonder why I don’t do it more often…

2 Likes

Mapo Tofu, with help from the good folks at Lee Kum Kee Co.

17 Likes

Green papaya salad (som tum) is a popular Thai dish. However, unripe papaya is not so easy to find. Using the same dressing, I substitute equally crunchy raw red cabbage & carrots. Here, that salad is topped with a poached salmon filet.

13 Likes

Nicely done! How long do you think you can store the toasted rice?

As long as it takes to use up - it’s totally dried out and ground up, now in a little jar, so no reason it should spoil…?

I guess not. I should make it more often as well. Both husband and Iike it, and that’s no small thing. I used an Omsom kit last time, and it seemed like such a treat to have the little packet of rice.

Stumping for Omsom!

2 Likes

It’s funny you mention Omsom - I actually looked it up last week when I started thinking about Laab, and was confused by the lack of lemongrass in so many recipes.

Omsom Larb starter ingredients : Red boat fish sauce, lime juice, cane sugar, thai dried chili flakes

If someone doesn’t have a stocked asian pantry, it’s a great idea.

Also - no lemongrass?!

4 Likes

The rice is what sold me. I have a lot of stuff, but isn’t it supposed to be some kind sticky rice? I don’t have that.

Of course I over think it.

We have been here before… toast any rice, whatever you have.

I usually use basmati. Today I used calrose, because it was already out.

Who is coming to tell you it’s “wrong”? :rofl:

2 Likes

Happy anniversary!

1 Like

As freakin’ amazing as ever!!!

2 Likes

It actually goes stale on me every time. Next time I will try keeping it in the freezer.

1 Like

I don’t remember lemongrass in any I’ve eaten :woman_shrugging:t2:Just lime juice.

Is there a specific one? I’ve been posting lately but didn’t have time to read, but corn and pasta snuck into my subconscious. So it was yesterday’s dinner. Delicious, but no photo bc “creamed” corn tossed with anything looks like someone tossed their cookies :frowning:
My prep was to cook some bucatini, steam some chunked romano beans, and frizzle my single strip of bacon that wasn’t frozen. I took kernels off of 4 corns and whizzed them very briefly in the blender with some heavy cream, then warmed that up in a skillet. Pasta was tossed with the corn, beans, crumbled single bacon, and torn basil. It was delightful. Some in my party complained that corn is too sweet these days. But I don’t know where I might get less sweet corn. It’s bred that way now…

3 Likes

i would say this is my memory of the dish too, but lemongrass would certainly be a good addition.

1 Like

you pretty much made it - the NYT recipe:

*may be a paywall.

6 Likes

They always have a paywall. Looks like some differences, but effectively pureed corn to sauce a pasta and then flavor as you will. Seems like there might be multiple interesting variations.

1 Like

It appears that my invitation to these feast days got list in the mail. Please don’t think me rude for not responding. I would have been there in a flash!

5 Likes

I have to follow your method the next time I make a duck breast.

1 Like

I had never heard of it …

Thank you.