What's For Dinner #72 - Wait, Summer Is Almost Over? Edition - August 2021

Our first BLTs this summer! With a decent heirloom tomato on toasted brioche, TJ’s mayo, and very good sweet corn on the cob - and yes, definitely with TPSTOB. A little smoked salmon on mine, too. And there really was a nice hunk of crispy iceberg hiding under under the mater. BF’s kernels off the cob. Yum!

20 Likes

Golden fried rice w/peas and red onion

16 Likes

Tonight was leftover Sunday Sauce from Saturday. Tasted even better after sitting for two days! No pics.

4 Likes

Nicoise salad and stuff.

10 Likes

WFD was a big oops, and a “to hell with it” once I realized my blunder. So, I had 2 dinners planned. One was a corn salad with some smoked salmon on the side. The other was a BLT (or Cobbish - blt plus eggs and blue cheese) salad with a loaf of bread. I was doing prep for both along with my son. He was chopping stuff for the corn salad, I was washing lettuce for the salad salad. And then for some reason, I fried some bacon today. It was meant for the BLT salad and not the corn salad. But once I realized my mistake, I knew I couldn’t keep it overnight and maintain its crispness. So now I have a corn salad with bacon in it, and I can’t make a BLT salad and have bacon for dinner twice in a row. Well, I could, but… Once I realized that, I threw my tomato in too, into the corn, not needing it for the Nicoise I pivoted to for tomorrow. In addition to the broiled corn, bacon, and tomato, there was scallion, raw green bean, red bell pepper, basil, lime juice, and evoo. It was delicious and they demolished it. But it definitely had more ingredients than I had intended!
Ps - my helper is off to college in less than 3 weeks. :frowning: I am trying to make lots of his favorites before he goes.

20 Likes

Here are the recovered pictures of the blackberry pie ( tasted good with TJ’s crust but it seems the crust is very fragile. Part of it fell as I took it out of the oven. Vivian Howard/s tomato pie with a twist ( I added turkey bacon ) some roasted poblano ( not visible)

and my Chinese version of Cucuzza stir fried with caramelized onions, garlic, garden purple bell peppers, tomato and chicken breast with some store bought Chinese rice crepes. ( not easily visible )

20 Likes

I moved your meal from gardening to WFD. Great to see you active again in HO!

2 Likes

Long time break from WFD, blue mood, family health issues, been lazy and not cooking a lot, also repetitive meals that I’ve made before in WFD.

Sunday: here’s h made some pizzas with the new cast iron oven, he has been bugging me to negotiate for space for this for 2 years after his Webers. His third time using it, he still tries to understand how the heat works, but is getting better handling the flame and not to get burnt dough.

Mozza, olive and anchovy

Tomato, mozza, onion confit in balsamic, topped with arugula and prosciutto

Focaccia

Yesterday dinner (no photo) was mussels in tomato basil sauce with red, green peppers, shallots, fresh garlic and habanero. Too hot for mister and he got mild stomach problem, I found it delicious.

28 Likes

While I’m not a prepper (no 5 gal buckets of dehydrated food) I do get nervous when the freezer gets low. “Low” is more than a few inches below full. grin The impact of this philosophy is that about every six weeks, when we go to a warehouse store, everything comes out and gets organized with the newest on the bottom and the oldest on top. Meat on the left, veg on the right, prepared food in the middle, bread on the far right over the compressor.

6 Likes

Well, that’s just freaking brilliant! How long did it take to get to that dark brown color?

2 Likes

I’d say that’s a very happy blunder! The salad looks amazing - perfect on the ingredients, despite being more than you had planned.

1 Like

Same - plus the freezer works better when it’s 3/4 full. :wink: And I just have an Excel spreadsheet to track everything that goes in the downstairs chest freezer, the downstairs apt. sized fridge’s freezer, and a smaller list for my upstairs freezer. Which reminds me - it has so many crossouts that it’s time I updated the list.

4 Likes

Summer produce - it’s so photogenic we barely have to work at all to make a beautiful looking dish!

4 Likes

Steak tonight.

Half a ribeye (d’Artagnan from the freezer), roasted cauliflower, and potato gratin.

The cauliflower had a bit of a kick today - I used harissa and adjika to dress it.

I think I double SV-ed the steak by mistake. Seared in some of that brown butter I’ve got plenty of at the moment.

17 Likes

Glad to see you back here!

4 Likes

A while - couple of hours on the very lowest burner at low heat.

Ghee (done right) is a slow process - you need all the water to evaporate, foam to subside and disappear, and solids to completely settle - without anything turning caramel or brown. So that was the first part.

Then when I realized the ghee still had that fridge taste, I turned the gas on again, still low but not as low as before, and it took maybe an hour or so for the deep color.

All hands off though - I put a splatter shield on top and left it.

8 Likes

A serving of each, please.

1 Like

Mmm, yum! And a fun equipment purchase.

1 Like

Last night I made a manicotti bake with eggplant and mozz, topped with toasted breadcrumbs. About 10 min to fully prep and shove into the oven to bake while we were on a playdate. Lovely to come home to dinner ready. Then we quickly tossed together a side salad with fruit, nuts, and avocado.

19 Likes

Your pizzas look amazing! Those crusts are the picture of pizza perfection.

4 Likes