What's for Dinner #71 - the Vacation Time! Edition - July 2021

On a related note, what has always struck me about DOP laws is that “terroir” matters everywhere, and yet protectionism only happens in some places.

Also interesting is that “origin” is now protected for things that actually “originated” very far away - I’m thinking of tomatoes and chillies, specifically :joy:

Anyway. Food politics are fraught and complicated and there’s often murky stuff right under the top layer. Who’s allowed to change food? Who isn’t?

People like tasty food everywhere, and make necessary modifications to adapt. Let’s go with that.

8 Likes

:flushed::flushed::flushed::flushed::flushed::flushed::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished:

2 Likes

Here’s the August thread…

7 Likes

I have the same issue with making myself not go to the store, except for me, it’s the farm stand in the summer. I want to go all the time. I want to buy all the things. And then I can’t cook them fast enough and they spoil. So I have to remind myself not to go until I have barely any produce in the house. And I have to remind myself to use what’s in my own garden, although it may be less pretty since they’re the pros. Seriously, just because I haven’t harvested it yet doesn’t mean I shouldn’t! The swiss chard isn’t getting any smaller while I ignore it.

2 Likes

Welp, I guess I know who I’m NOT giving my extra chard to. I’ve never been able to grow it successfully before. This year, it’s like something out of Sleeper.

2 Likes

I grew it w/o any real sense of how to use it. So I’m a little behind the 8 ball right now.

This is good (and I think I posted it upthread somewheres):

http://www.paula-wolfert.com/recipes/tun_sahel.html

So is this, which is basically the kale salad everyone already makes, only with chard:

I also make oshitashi out of it, which is a good way to use up a lot of greens at once.

Thank you for the recipe!

What is this?

Blanched greens with soy sauce, vinegar (or mirin) and sesame (seeds or oil). This is a good basic version:

You can make it with pretty much any sturdy green - spinach, chard, kale, bok choy, whatever.

1 Like

Oh, I may’ve had that as banchan. If so, good stuff. Thanks for this recipe too!

You’re welcome! Yes, it’s definitely very similar to a banchan dish (that I don’t know the name of, but which I think has sesame paste in it).

Love that Greg, looks great!!