What's for Dinner #71 - the Vacation Time! Edition - July 2021

I love the smell of napalm and the taste of fresh squeezed bourbon in the morning.

2 Likes

A casual Sunday lunch … And drive on the northern Empordà …

8 Likes

They used to be on Burger King’s breakfast menu. Maybe they still are.

Or you could have Humphry Slocombe’s Secret Breakfast ice cream: bourbon and corn flakes. I’ve had it - excellent!

5 Likes

I love the field of :sunflower: :sunflower: :sunflower: against the bright blue sky!

4 Likes

OMG, this sounds amazing!

2 Likes

It really is wonderful. On the other hand, a pint at the store is $9! Insane…

1 Like

It is quite a beautiful region …

Me too, I love Sunflowers !!!

2 Likes

I’ve never had the real deal ice cream but William’s Sonoma used to carry it ice cream as an ice cream starter. It was delicious. I can only imagine how good the real stuff must be.

1 Like

Took a brief weekend trip last weekend and came home to discover that the borage and basil were taking over the garden. So, today was pesto day! The borage pesto (which also included some basil and mint) was an experiment I probably won’t repeat - it’s fine, but a bit spinachy, which means I am the only one in this household who will eat it. The straight basil pesto, on the other hand, came out perfectly. Freezer stocked with a quart or so of each, plus some for dinner tonight. Will serve with sausages and roasted Brussels sprouts.

6 Likes

Out for dinner the last few of days. If you can believe it. I went back to the same place twice in a row because I wanted to try different things :joy:

Today was a lazy day of grazing on leftovers and procrastinated projects:

Ricotta and paneer from the soured-too-soon fancy milk. Not to be overly dramatic, but it is not only the best paneer I’ve ever made, it’s the best paneer I’ve ever eaten outside India, and actually reminded me of the malai (cream) paneer i eat when I’m there. All credit to the milk - thanks, Ronnybrook, for fantastic milk that didn’t need added cream to produce this result (but also went bad too soon, so…)!

Ligurian focaccia from SFAH - my adaptation using the dough that’s been sitting in the fridge since I made pita.

Personal-size pizza with pesto, potato, and ricotta.

Earlier in the week:

I finally made a regular (ie multi-dish) Indian meal: Okra with onions, masoor dal with garlic and cumin, parathas (freezer), rice (leftover. A little piece of chicken leftover from dinner out. The okra was fantastic - the onions caramelized and the okra actually crisped up in the pan. Dal was meh.

Kati roll from TJs that tastes like a giant samosa. I made blistered shishitos on the side.

And dinner at a new North African place. Kubaneh was good, lamb and harissa chicken were okay, corn and truffle dumplings I didn’t take a picture of were decent.

16 Likes

Tried something different (for me) with some oven-baked chicken wings after reviewing several online recipes.

After drying them thoroughly, I tossed wings and drumettes in a combo of baking powder, garlic powder, paprika, and s/p and put them on a cooling rack over a foil-covered baking sheet after spraying the rack with cooking spray.

Baked at 425° for about 50 minutes, turning a couple of times.

Meanwhile, made a glaze of tangerine marmalade, Worcestershire sauce, and cayenne pepper. Brushed that on the wings, turning after 5-7 minutes and glazing with more of the sauce for another 5 minutes.

Sides were coleslaw and deviled eggs.

The wings were decent, albeit a bit baking powdery in taste. Oh well, at least I know not to use that method again.

There was wine. Oh…and I ate 3 more wings/drumettes then were shown in the pic. Four wings weren’t enough.

18 Likes

I’ve made Kenji’s Buffalo wings, coated in baking powder and dried in the fridge overnight. They came out terrific, no baking powder taste.

https://www.seriouseats.com/the-best-buffalo-wings-oven-fried-wings-recipe

The recipe may also have been published in the New York Times.

3 Likes

Looks fantastic! I want all of it!!

2 Likes

Avocado and cherry tomato salad with leftover Caesar dressing and anchovy croutons. Perfect after a very indulgent lunch.

Super happy to have a big ziplock of anchovy croutons in the freezer but can see it will be dangerous as they are very delicious eaten right out of said freezer.

12 Likes

Sounds tempting. Must investigate.

4 Likes

You may be sorry I ever mentioned it, they are scary delicious.

5 Likes

A salad of salt-preserved eggs, shrimp, charred eggplant, tomatoes, and adolescent leeks in a vinegar, onion and fish sauce dressing. I was happy the eggs came out good (first time making them), and also happy I finally got a nice char on the eggplant. Even though now I have to scrub one of my stove burners pretty hard.

IMG_8975

14 Likes

I’m going to start referring to my Spring Onion as this. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes

I’m trying to get some use out of my leeks in case they never actually leek up. I like the tops better than scallions. And my chives are pathetic this year - a first, they’re usually very robust - so I’ve gotta look elsewhere for my allium garnishes.

3 Likes