What's For Dinner #66 - the Candle Lights in Chilly Nights Edition - February 2021

Recipe: https://buttermilkpantry.wordpress.com/2019/10/30/basque-burnt-cheesecake/

Everyone enjoyed it.

1 Like

Major yums to that Reuben.

Thank you!

1 Like

Chili dog on ww bun and salad with avo, carrot, tomato, and cucumber. I made a dressing with sour cream, mayo, cilantro, agave, Dijon, Badia adobo, Green Dragon hot sauce, lime juice, garlic, oo, s&p and rice wine vinegar. Kinda like a cilantro ranch. A repeat, I hope.

18 Likes

Picked up barramundi filets at Costco this weekend, a fish I have eaten in restaurants (in what I assumed were pretty mediocre preparations) but never cooked myself. I did a simple pan saute, skin side down for 80% of cooking time with a single flip to color the other side. Unfortunately, the skin still didn’t get fully crisp before the fish was done. The fish itself was tender and moist, but the flavor was pretty meh. Garlic scape pesto from the freezer livened it up, but it’s not a fish I’d buy again.

3 Likes

I ordered and enjoyed fork tender veal osso buco from my chef friend. It came with garlic mashed potatoes and green beans.

12 Likes

Cauliflower braised in tomato . The star . Chicken thigh , with bread . Cheers .

15 Likes

Wednesday is normally our Chinese takeout night. We are both off Thursdays so it’s like a little celebration. However, after the last few nights of Asian cooking, guess what we did not order tonight. We both need a break!

Instead, a beautiful thick-cut pork chop with hot and sweet peppers, onions, and a dry vermouth deglazing. Side of roasted potatoes. Really hit the spot!

17 Likes

Wednesday dinner was beige yet delicious. I made pappardelle and mushrooms in a rich pan sauce of mascarpone and truffle butter.

The pile of sautéed mushrooms and a cupful of the pasta cooking water In the sauce did the heavy lifting to deliver the flavor.

16 Likes

That sounds good. What seasoning do you use? Garlic?

Garlic , shallot , onion , cento canned tomatoes

2 Likes

Indian for dinner last night.

• Chicken - one of our standard recipes (differentiated by chopped ginger and garlic that retains some texture) - SO GOOD
  • Cabbage (with a tiny bit of potato)
  • Plain dal for the kids
  • Vegetable dal for the adults
  • Green beans
  • Peas in a tomato-cashew sauce (cashews were my aha ingredient for the day)
  • GF chapatis for the kids

16 Likes

Absolutely! The vinegar wakes the whole thing up and the brightness really helps

1 Like

Interesting.

It would make sense as the Greeks traversed Sicilia and brought their cheese making to the island. Sicilia is very famous for its sheep and goat cheese ricotta as also the Empordà, The Coast of Girona, in northern Cataluna. The Greeks arrived before the Romans …

Odd name for a burnt effect of a cheesecake !

The Basque People:
Are a distinct group of people, Celtic Iberian ancient settlers of the Iberian Peninsula, who have been known for their culinary skills and fishing expertise.

Interesting indeed. The first basque cheesecake is said to have originated in 1990 in San Sebastian, Spain is what I read today.

2 Likes

It is possible that this Burnt Cheesecake called “Basque Cheesecake” their version, was founded in San Sebastian however, the 1st cheesecake, if I recall was prepared in Sicilia. And even possible the Greeks learnt to make Feta, from the Ancient Bulgarian Tribes, from goat and sheep milk and brought their cheese making skills to Sicilia.

Cow milk cheeses are for export. However, if you go to Crete, all cheeses are goat and sheep. NO ROOM FOR GRAZING FOR COWS on a moutainous island. Northern Greece, has green pastures for cows.

However, I shall take a look at the weekend and do some research.

I appreciate that. I would enjoy learning further.

1 Like

I just jotted it down to do some research on topic.

1 Like

You are right; the Island of Samos, Greece is where Cheesecake was first made by the Greeks.

Note: This was in the year 2.000 B.C.

The Greeks and The Romans sought to improve the recipe and went throughout Eastern Europe for cheeses. The Romans brought it back to Sicilia and Italia.

Note: http://www.cheesecake.com

They did an exemplary feature on topic.

N.Y. Cheesecake was not made with cream cheese until 1872.

2 Likes

Thank you @Barca.

1 Like