What's For Dinner #66 - the Candle Lights in Chilly Nights Edition - February 2021

Spag & Meatballs, ala the BF. Spicy New York Style sausage for the MBs, and doctored up Rao’s marinara. Green salad on the side with Marie’s BC, and toasted olive bread. Simples, really good, and I didn’t have to cook.

16 Likes

More Salisbury steak. Carbs are still on your own.

13 Likes

Probably first and foremost, for me, cooking it requires a bit of time and care, and since husband -from-Jamaica doesn’t like it ( whaaat!?!?!), the cost and shopping for the good ones just doesn’t seem worth it.

It was GF Neapolitan style from somewhere in San Francisco via Goldbelly

(go to Goldbelly at your own peril… you have been forewarned!)

3 Likes

Five spice chicken thigh, rice, broccolini, fried egg, and nuoc cham for dipping.

13 Likes

Chinese dinner tonight.

Green beans with garlic, snap peas with ginger and sesame, soy butter shiitake mushrooms, s&p roasted tofu, kung pao chicken leftover from last week (freezer), chilli shrimp, and brown rice for the kids,

And surprise of the day were some shrimp dumplings I made because I’ve been wanting to try har gow at home. I didn’t have chinese wheat starch but I did have bob’s, and while I knew it would be different, I decided to try anyway.

Not bad at all, other than the starch being wrong :joy:

13 Likes

Well that narrows it. I don’t think Delfina does GF, so Tony’s?
[I love Goldbelly, yes it’s dangerous, but has some good deals with free shipping]

1 Like

BF’S Asian cooking tear continued tonight with both Thai and Chinese dishes: main course was chicken with chili, Thai basil, and bok choy. It looks Chinese but the use of fish sauce and the basil give this overwhelming Thai notes. It was incredible-- the word umami comes to mind. I’ve also discovered two things: I like Thai basil a million times more than Italian, and oyster sauce is one of my new favorite things. It is amazing how two meals (tonight and last night) can look so similar but taste so radically different.

The appetizer was a close replica of Sichuan Cottage’s (Marlboro NJ) famed dumplings in hot oil (normally wontons). Who would have thought the secret ingredient would be Chinese black vinegar? I included a picture of the oil in the pan because of its beautiful, rich color. It was nearly identical! Served on grandma’s Chinese themed plates. She would approve.

To drink: With today being the start of Mardi Gras, is there any other cocktail to drink besides a Sazerac? Rinsed the glass with Lucid Absinthe, muddled sugar cube and Peychaud’s bitters, and poured in some Bulleit Whiskey. Garnished with a lemon peel. Cheers!

Happy [whatever it is you say at Mardi Gras]!

19 Likes

Ah yes Tony’s - sorry I wasn’t being intentionally vague, I just couldn’t remember the name that was mentioned :joy:

I haven’t seen anything I’d consider a “good deal” yet - but it’s ok, these are all ways for us to bring travel to us while we can’t- when you reframe the cost that way, it’s a bargain, I guess!

2 Likes

Please share!

1 Like

That looks really good !

1 Like

Thank you. We happened to be having a conversation about whether a friend would eat oxtail. We decided no as though she loves short rib - and I think oxtail is very similar - it looks way too much like a tail.

The prices have gone crazy especially in the last year or two. So have many other formerly cheap cuts that have suddenly become “cool”.

1 Like

I don’t know what they say but put your shirt down Greg, you’re not getting an beads from me.

5 Likes

It’s nice to see someone else use the quantity of nuoc cham that I find “necessary” :joy:

5 Likes

Here you go. I halfed this recipe and why the measurements are a little weird. This makes 6 tortillas and is so easy to prep.
1 1/4 c AP flour
1/2 t salt
1/4 t baking powder
1/6 c shortening
1/2 c hot water

Combine dry. Add shortening and mash with a fork. Add the water a little bit at a time (usually I don’t need the full 1/2 c). Knead a few times till smooth. Divide into 6 balls and cover with a towel to rest 45+ min. Roll out thin and grill in a hot dry pan.

6 Likes

The only thing traditional about this “gumbo” was the roux. I didn’t care, it tasted good.

16 Likes

Thank you! Made too much, of course.

Anybody have any experience freezing Salisbury steak?

If it tastes good, that’s all that counts.

2 Likes

If tv dinner versions can freeze you are way ahead of the reheating game.

1 Like

Lovely …

Interesting name !

I believe cheesecake is originally from Sicilia … It is prepared with Ricotta.
Now in the U.K. and Usa, it is prepared with cream cheese.

I wonder where this name, has derived from; Basque Cheesecake ?

Have to check.

Looks wonderful !!!

1 Like