What's For Dinner #66 - the Candle Lights in Chilly Nights Edition - February 2021

Exactly. I got 30 inches last Tuesday

2 Likes

Sounds like a good case for one of these portable monitors.

3 Likes

Taco salad (greens, peppers, tomatoes, onions, olives, marinated chicken, corn chips crumbles) with accompaniments of refried beans, corn, guac, salsa, and fried plantains.

16 Likes

Mole con Pavo - turkey mole tonight! I had a couple of turkey thighs in the freezer, and the ground mole mixes I bought in Mexico City a couple years ago. I think this was the Mole Poblano - very chocolatey, smoky, spicy, with good heat - didn’t need a thing. Sauteed a little onion and added the mix, then stock. Seared the thigh seasoned with cumin & s&p, then let it braise in the mole for about an hour, basting every few minute. Mexi-rice with cilantro, RG ayocote morado beans, and a little avo & red onion salad on the side. Very satisfying meal.

16 Likes

Bell and Evans Chicken Rollatine with spinach and gruyere. Served atop browned butter gnocchi which I tossed with sautéed spinach.

The gnocchi was boiled earlier in the day and left to chill. I sautéed the spinach with extra virgin olive oil, crushed red pepper, and lots of garlic. I then removed the spinach, cranked the heat, added butter and crisped the gnocchi. Tossed together when finished.

Side note: this was the first time I’ve had Bell and Evans and I’m trying to debate if it is worth it. Will need another meal or two using it.

17 Likes

Thomas Keller’s simple roast chicken tonight.

Vegetarians had asian-style beyond burger meatballs that I made: first instance where I’ve thought they tasted about as good as real meat.

Sides were shiitake mushrooms, snap peas, kabocha squash, and schmaltzy onions.

21 Likes

I made some Singapore style laksa for dinner tonight, using up some shrimp shells and heads from the freezer.

22 Likes

asparagus-soup
Herb infused rotisserie chicken and cream of roast asparagus soup, very easy and delish.
Coarse chop the asparagus, onion, and garlic. reheat an over to 400°. Pop the vegs in a pan with a spray of olive oil for 20-25 minutes.Put in a saucepan and cover with stock (veg or chicken). Simmer until tender. Let cool and puree with an immersion blender 'til smooth. Add salt, pepper, and spices to taste.

Add milk or cream and heat just below boiling, then serve with a garnish (chopped parsley or chives).

18 Likes

Yum!

1 Like

That looks delicious!!

2 Likes

Very nice. Welcome!

1 Like

How was the mole packaged? I’ve bought jars and plastic bags. Was it a small scale situation or something branded?

1 Like

Lovely.

Since March 2020, I’ve probably only WFH 10 days total. I’m one of the few who are in the office every day for various reasons, one being I need the routine of getting up and leaving the house on weekdays. LOL So my post was more just beeyotching about trying to do invoicing in Salesforce on a small monitor screen. Thankfully, it was just a single day.

5 Likes

this was at one of CDMX’s many large, outdoor-but-covered markets, many of which are city blocks long and sell produce and prepared foods, with many mole stands. the ground mole blends are shaped into piles for display, like pyramids, in the myriad of different types - negro, Oaxacan, pepian, almendrada, etc., all labeled, and the proprietress will scoop some of whichever you want into plastic bags. it’s a very colorful set-up.

found two pics! one of the pipian i bought, and the other of the stand - this was in the Mercado de la Merced - i think CDMX’s largest mercado - and it was right about the time of the Day of the Dead celebrations (hence the decorations).

11 Likes

Do I spy candlenuts? What are they like!?

Swoon…

1 Like

They are actually Macadamia nuts - I don’t have any candlenuts on hand at the moment. I used candlenuts to make a similar laksa before and they resembled Macadamia nuts - there was a large warning on the package to not eat them raw though so I didn’t try one on its own.

1 Like

Zucchini with ajvar and crema

Stir fry beef, onions, peppers, tomato (ginger, soy) with noodles.

14 Likes

10 Likes