What's For Dinner #65 - the Brand New New Year's Edition - January 2021

Those carnitas! :star_struck:

1 Like

Oh goodie. I bought arrowroot (tapioca flour) because a recipe called for a small amount and now I have a bag I don’t (didn’t) know what to do with.

2 Likes

Big ole pot of red lentil soup…still on a soup jag. Went well with the homemade bagels I posted on a diff thread.

8 Likes

Phenomenal … especially the Escargot …

Have a lovely weekend.

1 Like

I love it.

1 Like

Good thought, but guess what other kind of cheese my husband won’t eat? I think I should just make it for myself!

2 Likes

Sunday: Breaded Pork Chops for the Dear and our grandsons.

19 Likes

Do you have a Trader Joe’s? Mine always has it - they call it baby broccoli.

1 Like

Linda, I’ve seen you mention that steak sauce a thousand times and always wondered about it. How similar/different is it to A1? I don’t really have much experience with steak sauce, but that’s the one I’ve tried before a couple of times.

Pork chop with a side of bacon is hilarious!

4 Likes

The browning in steps, coming up to pressure, or in which sense do you mean?

I do! I think that might be where I got it last. Thanks for the reminder.

1 Like

Tonight, beer infused dough, tomato pie with three cheeses and sausage. The dough had a lazy day rise and crusted really well.

14 Likes

Sasha, I don’t think I’ve ever had A1. This is a semi-tomatoey, tangy-sweet sauce.

1 Like

Easy-peasy lemon-squeezy dinner tonight:

Trader Joe’s Mandarin Orange Chicken, sauce augmented with orange juice, hoisin sauce, and freshly grated ginger.

Served on Basmati rice with peas and corn on top, because that’s the way I’ve become accustomed to having it.

Wine.

13 Likes

Tonight we had my mom’s belated birthday dinner. She wanted takeout but I still wanted to cook something. So I surprised her with a scungilli marinara appetizer, something we both love and have not had in years (hardly any Italian restaurants have it over here). I must say, this was my masterpiece. My sauce was chunky and delicious, and the scungili itself was melt-in-your-mouth tender.

As for the takeout, we had Greek. Her and I had chicken souvlaki platters with spinach rice. BF had falafel and Greek fries. There was hummus to share. I asked for extra pita and they gave me like 10 pounds. Lots of leftovers!

Specialty cocktail of the evening: my signature martini with gin and Lillet. Normally she is a Rob Roy drinker but likes Lillet.

I’ve been good at lowering my alcohol intake thus far in 2021. Tonight was not one of those nights!

21 Likes
2 Likes

Happy Birthday to momma!!! God bless hope she had a happy and healthy!!

2 Likes

We have a delicious place in town where we get takeout poke once or twice a month. Yesterday, when we went to the “big city” (Seattle) to stretch our legs a bit, we hit up a big Asian grocery to replenish and they had some sushi grade fish. So I thought - let’s make poke at home! It was delicious, but in the end, I probably didn’t save any money. They charge $11ish for a small at home, which is about a cup of rice, maybe a little less, 1/4 lb of fish, and a similar amount of some veggie side.

Ours was a pound of ahi ($21) split 3 ways, and accompanied by edamame, avo, some lettuce with a sesame dressing, and a mound of sushi rice topped with furikake. It was certainly fun!

I also bought a whole bunch more Asian ingredients that now I have to figure out what I’ll do with them. But - good problems, right?

22 Likes

We enjoyed some excellent tapas at Bistro D’Azur. We enjoyed garlic shrimp, swordfish escabeche, beef pinxto, lobster crepe, grilled octopus, sautéed chorizo, lamb chops, Spanish chips, and duck confit salad. It all went great with an outstanding Amarone and cabernet.

14 Likes