What's For Dinner #65 - the Brand New New Year's Edition - January 2021

We made miso salmon, sauteed haricots and Brussels, and (not pictured) shells and cheese.

A French 75 for dessert.

11 Likes

My husband and I have been working from home together since March 2020. Not one day has included a lunch of pasta and wine! I need a page out of your book!!!

7 Likes

I made pork carnitas tonight and about 30 things to go on/with them. Homemade tortillas, a avocado cream thing, pickled red onions, brown coconut rice, a black bean concoction and ubiquitous cilantro and onions. YUM. Terrible photo but I was hungry!

17 Likes

@gracieggg I made carnitas tonight, too! With guac, sour cream, refried black beans.

10 Likes

Tinned mussels, a bag of potato chips, and a glass of vermouth on the rocks.

14 Likes

We had another excellent dinner at Bloom in Verona, NJ. Besides the usually excellent escargot, bulgogi tacos, chicken wings, and truffled fries, we enjoyed sea bass and clams in scallion jus, oxtail osso buco, and New England clam chowder. It all went great with an excellent 2010 Washington state red blend.

10 Likes

I’d like some of all that, but mainly dessert :grin:

1 Like

It all looks delicious! I’m always amazed by the many components it can sometimes take, but the composition is often worth it…

1 Like

I like your style… also, I love crab, so there’s that.

2 Likes

i usually find that i have too much sauce, which kinda skeeves me out (all that liquidy egg)! i always think i use too much pasta water and it never really creates the sauce it’s supposed to. Except tonight with my pasta aglio e olio. Worked out this time!

Dinner at sister’s tonight. We had issues with sticking feesh (and yeah, bones) and the homemade pasta, but both still tasted really good, if not the prettiest plate of food. Miso marinated butterfish and fresh pasta aglio e olio. Cheapo TJs white bordeaux was something I’ll be buying again.

butterfish & pasta aglio e olio

12 Likes

Italian takeout tonight from one of the family favorites.

Chicken diavolo, broccolini, crispy Brussels sprouts with their special hot sauce, polenta with mascarpone, and pasta with butter and parmesan.

Delicious, but not satisfying - the chicken and the polenta were off from their usual.

11 Likes

Your mussels look nice and fat. I made some disappointing ones recently and will share after I finish reading this already massive thread. #Don’tGetBehindOnWhat’sForDinner

2 Likes

You probably already decided on your cheese and made the dish… but what about creamy goat cheese mixed with cheddar? You get tart & creamy like the bleu without the bleu.

Nice! You did a good job with the rice too.

2 Likes

Bummer I was behind on this thread, because I was trying to think of a light spaghetti to do the other day and this would’ve been perfect. Next time!

YUM!!! I mostly followed the recipes from Trejo’s Tacos Cookbook. I make my tortillas now exclusively with shortening. They come out perfect every time as long as I take the time to roll them thin enough.

https://www.amazon.com/Trejos-Tacos-Recipes-L-Cookbook/dp/1984826859

3 Likes

I’m using the 6 qt Instant pot max.

I did 35 min on Hi which was the mid setting which resulted in meat that was easy to shred if desired
My only mistake was putting the veg and meat in at the same time. The veg was soft but not mush which was my fear after realizing my error

I have to say that I felt the process was more complex than just using traditional methods but it was certainly faster to get to the end point

The suggested marinade in buttermilk & paste under the skin sounds good… so does the buttermilk then dry rub (trying it). The other thing I recently read but don’t know if it’s true is that the oil can prevent marinade from permeating the skin & flesh.