What's for Dinner #59 - the Summertime Covid Blues Edition - July 2020

Hey! Just read an article about How Bouillon Cubes Became an International Pantry Staple!

Hmmm…

that’s a gorgeous plate of food. i’ve made Julia’s, many years ago. a labor of love for sure. bravo, BF!

3 Likes

my thoughts? bouillon cubes good!

we use them all the time for mexi rice - the Maggi tomato/chicken ones.

1 Like

Thanks, sounds good.

Bouillon cubes/powder are a sacrilege in the home kitchen! I use it all the time!

4 Likes

Why is he not getting a plate of sliced tomatoes?

When in Spain, there’s nothing I like to eat more than tomatoes and Jamón Ibérico. There are many other amazing dishes in Spanish repertoire but only these 2 ingredients really capture my food-loving heart, especially the many varieties of local and regional tomatoes.

And a plate of Jamón Ibérico to go with the tomatoes. The simplicity of paradise.

The same tomatoes, Rosa de la Reina, from Sierra de Aracena area.

10 Likes

Inspiring! Why have I never thought of this simple combo? Local summer tomatoes and prosciutto that I can get here would be a heavenly summer meal.

2 Likes

Those porcini cubes are awesome in mushroom cream sauce with fresh pasta as well as in the stock for mushroom risotto. But they are powerful so I often break up the cubes.

3 Likes

I have all types of bouillon cubes and try to use it discreetly to enhance flavour with lots of other ingredients especially when one doesn’t have time to make the broth.

I hate it when it is used as a main ingredient or overdose. I remember my days in Italy when staying at someone’s place, the dinner was always prepared by a Nona by heating up water with brouillon cube with some tiny pastas in this broth, the overwhelming taste of bouillon cube becomes bad food memories.

But I do think ideally it’s something that one should try to use sparsely as many contains too much salt, chemicals and MSG.

2 Likes

That’s why I never use them.

1 Like

:::Figuring out how to find out where @bear lives to show up right around dinnertime::: :wink: Have FUN with the new toy! Lucky you!

4 Likes

LOVE the idea of the porcini bouillon cube in the sauce! Just added them to my Amazon cart. And I need to make more meat sauce to feed the freezer, so perfect timing!

3 Likes

I helped make this recipe with friends a long time ago - yes on the many steps, and YES YES YES!!! on it being an absolutely incredible meal. I love that the BF said “good idea” to you just drinking. LOL

6 Likes

We make a good team and cook a lot of meals together where we each have different tasks. But since this was so multilayered and begun before I got home, I saw the kitchen and was like, “Yeah, I’m staying out of this one.” :rofl:

7 Likes

When this pandemic is over, Linda, you’re welcome anytime!

1 Like

Friends invited us to meet for dinner at a resto here in town on a public golf course. In 30 years of living here, we’d never been. Talk about a retro experience - the whole place was a nearly perfect time capsule for 30+ years ago, food included. Pub like interior with carpet. Thought we’d eat outside, but too cold! Prime rib is their Thursday special, so that’s what we all had. Drinks were very generous pours.

Indoor spacing was good, but outside my comfort zone at present. Now I’ll try not to worry about getting Covid the next two weeks :upside_down_face:

12 Likes

Big cooking afternoon. I doubled my lasagna recipe. The standard is for a 9x13 casserole. Doubled is perfect for three 8x8s. Fed the freezer. As usual for me, no pictures. Three hours from start to finish including cleaning and bunging the casseroles in the freezer. Once they get frozen solid I’ll label them.

6 Likes

I did a bunch of cooking today as well… Nothing exciting enough to post about, but it was a good rainy day for it.

3 Likes

Haha, that IS a throwback! Garden salad with a token tomato, the prime rib? That brings me back. I would eat that in a heartbeat right now.

3 Likes

I think it’s one of the pizza oven on H’s wish list… will like to hear more as well, especially using wood!