What's for Dinner #59 - the Summertime Covid Blues Edition - July 2020

Love these!

Grilled cheeseburgers (barbecue cheddar for me), green salad with wineberry vinaigrette, tots, and Swiss chard with leeks. It was tasty, but today feels like a national day of mourning.

My neighbor and her GF are coming for socially-distant drinks on the porch after baby bedtime. First time hosting since end of Feb or early Mar. :disappointed_relieved:

17 Likes

Too terrific, @ChristinaM

Seems Burgers have a way of winning the day.

Blessings on you and your neighbors tonight.

2 Likes

Quiet day.
Dinner was just OK.
Dessert was fair.

Chicken thighs dredged in some Drake’s Fry Mix that had been highly recommended, and oven-baked. Probably would have been better with a LOT more seasoning added to the mix and doing a proper fry in hot oil. But since I’ve failed at that several times, I didn’t go down that road.

Potato, corn and pea salad was the lone side. A bit too much mayo mix, and a bit bland, but the bacon crumbles I added helped.

There WAS wine, and Lemon Posset with blackberry compote and raspberries for dessert. But I even screwed that up, despite having made it many times.

Pfffftttt.

19 Likes

Homemade crab cakes drizzled with Sriracha aioli over a spinach and red onion salad with lemon vinaigrette. Good balance of creaminess and acidity. Side of mashed potatoes and frizzled zucchini (which was a successful air fryer experiment).

There were martinis.

23 Likes

Mrs. P made crunchy deep fried soft shell crabs and shrimp with home made guacamole, chips, and home grown purple basil, with the capers, butter, fresh herbs, and vermouth sauce that we had with the red snapper. We also had some crispy TJ’s sweet potato fries with Mike’s hot honey. It all went great with a bourbon barrel aged cabernet and Cotes Du Rhone.

22 Likes

Glad to see you set a place at the table for doggie - as it should be :sun_with_face:

1 Like

Last night we cooked some restaurant take out chicken curry pot pies. Added a side salad and wine. The pies were full of veggies, carrots, fava beans, mushrooms (not too many thank goodness), and a little chili. Nice break from cooking. Then we watched Hamilton. We had tickets twice in LA this year, which were obviously cancelled, so this might be the only way I get to see it. We loved it.

19 Likes

This is IMHO an OMG plate. A double treat for eye and palate. Want!!!

1 Like

Usually I l bake the cakes but tonight I was like NO, we are frying them! Also, I rarely post pictures of them because they photograph like hell. So I thought about what I could do to help with presentation. Serving them over greens with a crafty drizzle was the answer.

Just like when I make chicken cutlets: awesome taste but terrible for pictures!

4 Likes

Cheesesteak with ribeye, onions, serrano chilis, and provolone. And a salad with cherry tomatoes and radishes.

20 Likes

Thank you @mariacarmen for posting the Peruvian chicken marinade in the June WFD thread. I made a batch and marinated my chicken for about 20 hours, then grilled it. Served simply with more aji verde. It was soooo good. Much better than the overly salty produced jar. I may never buy the pre-made again.

15 Likes

I didn’t manage to get a pic of dinner last night, but it was a totally classic 4th – grilled cheese burgers on challah buns, tater tots, corn on the cob, asparagus. Chocolate ice cream for dessert after a few fireworks. Happy 4th, everyone!

9 Likes

Socially distanced BBQ with another couple at our house for the Fourth. We’d bought smoked ribs, red bliss potato salad, and barbequed baked beans at the butcher in advance so we could focus on devising a comfortable and safe setup on our outdoor patio. I made a green salad with our CSA share. Also I made chocolate pudding cake for dessert.

I fixed us two separate trays of cheese, nuts, crackers, and grapes so we that could snack on appetizers and beverages beforehand.

No dinner pics taken, but the dog got her bath in preparation so here’s a snap of her “company’s coming” look for you. We could all use a smile right about now, yes?

21 Likes

Another amazing food show !!

Compliments being sent …

1 Like

Thank you @Barca :blush: Your lunches are always sensational! Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

1 Like

Thank you and so are your lovely wife´s … And those flora arrangements are simply bepsokenly beautiful.

1 Like

Thank you! The real colorful ones up front are canna lilies.

1 Like

We have had canna lilies in our yards several times and they always look scruffy, not bold green and lush like yours. I wonder if it is your humid heat that they like.

2 Likes

Miracle Grow doesn’t hurt :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes