What's for Dinner #59 - the Summertime Covid Blues Edition - July 2020

We’ll probably get the gas attachment in the next few months, but I figured I’d get more comfortable with wood first. I bet the gas will be especially convenient in the cold weather when a quick light and consistent heat is appealing. People who have both say that there’s little to no difference in taste, but I like the challenge of wood so far!

7 Likes

Shrinkwrap you seem to have tried a few of the cabbage pad thai recipes. Did you find a favorite? I’m interested in giving this a spin, although we have a peanut allergy in the house, so I won’t be using those. They seem to have figured prominently in yours…

DD2 & SIL over for dinner last night before leaving on a 10 day road trip. Dropped off their 2 cats in our care. Anyway, pizzas, in the regular oven. Too chilly to eat outside, apparently we’re not having summer this year. That’s ok I guess, it’s been a totally weird year anyway. Couple regular style, and an experiment. The new creation was spread with OO and homemade pepper jelly, with salami, goat cheese, cantaloupe slices and drizzled with balsamic glaze. Really tasty!!

Beer, Rose, Chardonnay and Zinfandel to drink. We all wanted something different.

13 Likes

:grin: I bought a whole canister just for this experiment! I really like the added crunch.

I’ll see if I can find the one that comes the closest, but I recall taking something from several recipes.

Ok! Look forward to your franken-recipe. My skinny fam all agreed I could try this, so long as there was “plenty of rice on the side so we don’t get hungry!”

I think this one comes closest, but there was one that called for salting the cabbage first, and I liked that step. Can’t seem to find it right now, but I have assembled a whole bookmark folder.

I see I got that part from something @BadaBing added. I think I can link it.

Cabbage-Phad Thai--not just for dieters

4 Likes

Recipe? Or did you just wing it?

2 Likes

I made sort-of sushi bowls tonight: bulgogi grilled salmon over sushi rice, blanched pole beans in spicy yuzu vinaigrette, Sriracha-cilantro slaw with ginger and scallion, sesame pickled cucumbers mixed w/ leftover kale salad, salted shredded lettuce, and furikake over the top. Hit the spot. The slaw was especially good.

16 Likes

Mrs. P made a delicious and healthy grilled shrimp salad with sugar snap, snow, and regular peas, arugula, red onions, various mini and shishito peppers, and other ingredients. She made a dressing of balsamic mixed with dijon mustard.

17 Likes

Looks delicious and vibrant!

Cauliflower and shrimp curry. No cilantro, so basil. Eating our veggies.

14 Likes

Thanks @NotJrvedivici! It was.

1 Like

pretty much wanged it. chopped onion mixed into the chorizo/ground beef, an egg, dried bread crumbs soaked in milk, s&p, a little chipotle powder, a little worcestershire… brushed with a mixture of ketchup and a very good MA maple syrup someone gifted me before and after wrapping with bacon.

2 Likes

BF made linguini and meat sauce, with his new secret ingredient: a porcini bouillon cube in the sauce. So much umami! Salad with BC on the side.

15 Likes

wow, sure looks like someone was incentivized! all looks wonderful.

friends of mine got one and are loving experimenting with it, and trying out different recipes. they said so far they love the Chez Panisse pizza dough recipe the best. Enjoy!

2 Likes

Farfalle with Bolognese sauce from the freezer, salad, bread, and red wine.

17 Likes

Oh, thanks for the tip. I’ve been using Roberta’s recipe from the NYT, but find it wet and add a bit more flour and a bit of sourdough starter. I’ll give the Chez Panisse dough a try next time. Always looking for improvement.

1 Like

I’ve been doing most of the cooking lately because of our schedules, but my BF returned to the kitchen tonight with Julia Child’s Beef Bourguignon. It was a six hour process that he started while I was at work. I got home to a wonderful smell in the kitchen. After seeing what was involved, I told him, “There are so many steps, so I’m just going to stay out of your way and drink.” He said, “That’s a good idea.” This ended up being an incredible meal. The recipe includes an entire bottle of wine, so between a few drinks and eating this, let’s just say I’m feeling nice. So much flavor. So savory and rich. Served over Yukon Gold mashed potatoes, my only contribution. I feel like Beef Bourguignon is something that every home cook has to make at least once in their life. This was a homerun. I have an amazing BF.

There was a martini and LOTS of Chardonnay involved.

28 Likes

Wow looks like total comfort food.

3 Likes