What's For Dinner #58 - the Uncertain Certain Summertime Edition -June 2020

Damn it . Ever happen to you after a good meal .Cheers.

11 Likes

Not only a waste of good wine and glassware, but difficult to clean up too! Sorry, but hope the meal was good.

4 Likes

Oh no - sorry! That’s a pain, especially after a nice evening.

1 Like

that cocktail sounds amazing.

oof. that’s a shame. hope cleanup went ok and you’re not still finding tiny shards of glass days later…

It most truly was, think I may have had a second, even. Great little funky place, too, as it used to be an old retro type gas station. Have been there X2. Always on our list when in Charleston @MAH

No judgement if you do. Said by someone who may or may not eat a spoonful of hot sauce by itself now and then.

Hey, how else am I going to know if the sauce is any good?

2 Likes

Well, dammitall. All that wine! Boo. The floor makes it easy to clean up - but the chair. :frowning: Hope you have something like Wine Away Stain remover!

Ugh to gummy dumplings. When that’s happened to me, I’ve salvaged them by throwing them in some impromptu hot dashi-soy broth.

5 Likes

OMG nooo

You can still get the powder kind, thank goodness!!! When I want the trashy mac and cheese of my childhood, ONLY the powder will do!

4 Likes

Oh no! The stains on the chair. Cleaning up should be easy with the floor, but the lost wine.

2 Likes

I ALWAYS use Velveeta in my mac and cheese though not exclusively. If I’m being fancy I’ll select specific cheeses, though no cheddar. However, I always made a huge tray for Black Friday (I was in retail) and then I would buy an assortment of cheap, mixed end cuts. Just about anything would do except pepperjack. The Velveeta made it creamy and the rest of the cheeses gave it flavor.

2 Likes

Yes, when I make homemade mac and cheese, Velveeta is always a component - usually about 15-20% of the total cheese used. It adds a tang and texture that really can’t be duplicated with anything else, even sodium citrate. Even a “gourmet” version with higher end cheeses can be vastly improved by a small addition of Velveeta. Oddly enough, though, I DETEST mac and cheese made with all (or mostly) Velveeta, including their box versions (Velveeta Shells & Cheese, etc.).

3 Likes

good idea for a save. next time…

1 Like

yikes!

@MsBean and @biondanonima, a big YES to the Velveeta in the Mac n cheese. We probably had about 20 homemade Mac n cheese failures, just couldn’t get what we wanted, until only a couple months ago when I insisted on using some Velveeta, along with several other kinds. We tried all the supposedly “best” ones, many with gruyere & other great cheeses, but no. Heavy as a brick, especially when reheated. I too like blue box M&C from childhood, but not shells with Velveeta or mac n cheese made with all Velveeta. Sadly tho, even Velveeta has been reformulated, so it’s not as good as it used to be, but still performs and tastes acceptable enough for me.

1 Like

@digga, yes great idea. I use them for an easy wonton soup with chicken broth, greens, whatever I have. Really good, super easy. Thanks for the reminder!

2 Likes

@biondanonima and @Lambchop Nothing smooths out the M&C like Velveeta. To me the worst cheese in it is a good cheddar. It always separates on me and gets grainy.

My local grocer sells the ends of deli meats and cheeses that get to small to slice or that were otherwise not sold (referred to butts and cuts). They are always priced much less than the comparable product cut fresh. They make up the bulk of the other cheeses in my M&C. I’m not a big sandwich eater (which is especially funny as I used to own a sandwich shop) so I used to buy end cuts and my daughter would take “turkey sticks” for lunch. Always with something fun to dip them in.

4 Likes

Great idea to ask for the end cuts. Love a good bargain, and great way to get cheeses for casseroles too. Thanks for the tip.