What's For Dinner #58 - the Uncertain Certain Summertime Edition -June 2020

Yellow peach with goat cheese, apricot vinegar douse

Basque chicken and rice

12 Likes

Seester and I had takeout Korean on Sat., and this was all the leftovers – minus the rice, which the BF made tonight, plus his radish/carrot panchan. He doctored up the daeji bulgogi a little too, adding more gochujang and chili oil. And made it all look pretty.

15 Likes

Scallops in a blush marinara sauce over linguine.

Not pictured: a stuffed portobello mushroom with spinach, mozzarella, and breadcrumbs. Total fridge/freezer/pantry dive in every stretch of the term.

16 Likes

More HO “didn’t feel like cooking”?

Usually when I don’t feel like cooking, and I’ve exhausted the take out and leftover gambit, I offer roasted Italian sausage. This time I added husband’s favorite short pasta shape and cheese ( penne and asiago), a bottle of Rao’s, and some clippings from my basil plants.

I’m reserving my weekly takeout card for tommorow!

15 Likes

Haven’t posted recent meals out of laziness / mental exhaustion / preoccupation with the 4-month anniversary of being stuck away from and covid cases rising.

NYC just announced quarantine for incomers from a wide range of states, so I’ll have 2 weeks of complete solitude when I go home in a few weeks. Glad they’re doing that.

Tonight I had leftovers of my portion of last night’s takeout - Tom Kha Gai soup. No pics. My appetite is shot at the moment - I had a cup of tea and a bowl of yogurt the rest of the day (yesterday the same, plus another cup of coffee).

I did cook last night, though - had defrosted goat marinated for biryani a few days ago, and it needed cooking. Feeling the opposite of celebratory at the moment so I’m not making biryani, but the korma - ie the meat portion (with potatoes, no duh) is pretty excellent. Maybe that will be dinner tomorrow.

16 Likes

“…,when I go home in a few weeks”.

Best wishes! My daughter went back to NY just before Father’s Day.

1 Like

Cheesesteak made with ribeye, onions, and Kraft singles.

20 Likes

I’m not a huge fan of restaurants that tout “locally sourced” but in this case most of the ingredients were local. The salad greens, strawberries, and radicchio are from my CSA box and grown less than 50 miles from my house. The fluke was caught off the Axel Carlson Reef, about 2 miles off the Jersey coast.

17 Likes

And a good lookin’ roll…

2 Likes

A new thread for July has been created here:

3 Likes

Let us know how it goes! I have a recipe I compiled, too, from Serious Eats and other sources. Have made it several times and enjoy the results. :grin:

That potato salad looks grrrrreat! I do a similar Sloppy Joe with brown gravy and cream of mushroom soup, sauteed peppers, onions, and mushrooms, and topped with melted provolone. :drooling_face::drooling_face:

1 Like

This entire meal :heart_eyes:

Could you please share the Basque chicken recipe/notes?

I’m sorry. It’s so hard. And I feel you. A change of scene (even back to NYC weirdness) may do you good. Hugs.

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: What’s for Dinner #59 - the Summertime Covid Blues Edition - July 2020

Thank you, @ChristinaM for your compliments! DW’s Potato Salad is “almost famous” among the family members and in laws. (I love it too). If we’re going somewhere and bringing a dish to pass, it’s always expected to be this. :yum:

1 Like

He’s not surprised. He changed his practice to medical marijuana. He smokes in the office :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

“Could you please share the Basque chicken recipe/notes?”
Okay. Here is the recipe I pretty much followed. But I boned out the chicken thighs, didn’t have the fresh chilis so subbed jalapeno. was too lazy to go out to the yard for parsley so subbed green onion leaves.

3 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: What’s for Dinner #59 - the Summertime Covid Blues Edition - July 2020

Incredible flora …

1 Like