What's for Dinner #49 - the Falling Leaves Edition - Sept 2019

ok, spill it. the recipe for your famous bacon-bourbon Brussels Sprouts and nobody gets hurt.

please? :smiley:

6 Likes

Wet and cold with a long-awaited thunderstorm over in Singapore today. Porridge for lunch again.

Tried a new recipe from one of my to-go Japanese recipe sites. Made curry flavored furikake with ground chicken, shiitake and carrot. Interesting to go with porridge. Shall make more, be it to freeze or to keep in the fridge, should I have mince leftovers next time.

13 Likes

Hilarious!

More hilarious!

1 Like

Do you mean grind my own, buy supermarket ground meat or supermarket patties?

DIY patties or supermarket patties? I like the idea of getting my hands clean with just getting the patties directly from the supermarket, plus keeping countertop space free, but not quite sure what they add inside though :thinking:

1 Like

I usually make mine. I try to buy the part of meat I want and grind it with kitchenaid tool. In the past, I used to buy from shops, but here in France, they are usually prepared for specific usage, mostly for sausages, sometimes they are already mix with spice and herbs.

3 Likes

Oh I see. No kitchenaid tool :joy:

You can buy the meat from a butcher, and asked them to grind that for you with the machine. The problem with pre-ground meat, I don’t know what they use and add. Or if you have patience and the quantity is small, you can use your knife.

3 Likes

Always grind my own. Usually just chuck but if I’m going all out it’s chuck, brisket and short rib

3 Likes

Easiest way to do it:

1. This time I used fresh Brussels Sprouts, but I usually go with frozen. I steam in bag for one minute less than the directions says.

2. Chop bacon into size of your choosing and cook until almost crisp. Remove, and add sprouts to the bacon fat. Add a little oil if needed.

3. When the sprouts are starting to brown, add enough brown sugar to your liking. Keep an eye on it until the brown sugar starts to cake up and get sticky. Take a shot of bourbon and chug it down, then pour about another shot (or more!) into the pan to deglaze. It will only take a minute or two, but it will start to caramelize.

4. Add the bacon in and give it another minute. Season with salt and pepper.

5. Enjoy!

There. That sounds about right. :grin:

17 Likes

Was supposed to have pasta tonight but the mister messaged me a little too late, late work night for him.

Same old ingredients.

Mushrooms mixed rice;
Pan fried salted salmon;
Tofu miso soup.

Not in pics - Johnsonville cheddar sausages.

12 Likes

Any other alternatives to bourbon? I only have sake, vodka and cointreau at home. :grin:

I imagine rum or brandy would work well too.

2 Likes

Looks great. Fresh has such better texture

1 Like

Looks delicious to me!

2 Likes

It was delicious. While I always used frozen because I had the prep down to a science, I think I will use fresh from now on.

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

To me too!

Oh okay. Got it.

I never buy patties (maybe for a big park picnic). I don’t grind my own. Maybe one day I’ll get an attachment to my KitchenAid (interested in reading @naf’s link). But I don’t like clutter and keep my appliances & gadgets to a minimum. But I do eat a lot of ground meat and have my own weirdness about sourcing it. Here it goes. I get pre-packaged, free-range, ground chicken and organic, ground beef (typically grass-fed) from my local grocery store, Ralphs (Kroger). I try to cook with humanely-raised meats at home which makes Whole Foods an important store for me, but I don’t like their ground meat. It’s too mush in texture and they’re not careful, so I almost always find bone chips or gristle, yuck. I do get ground pork from WF because my local grocery stores don’t have humanely-raised pork, thankfully they do a better job with the pork. Must be easier to breakdown.

Sorry you asked? Isn’t my ground meat life fascinating? :relaxed:

2 Likes

As The Cookie and naf responded, it depends on your paranoia quotient. I don’t worry about intentional additives in ground meat but of pathogens that sneaked in. The less ground meat is handled, the better. Also it depends on your cooking preferences. We are advised to always cook ground meats to well done. I like mine VERY RARE so I am living on the sketchy edge in any event.

2 Likes