What's for Dinner #49 - the Falling Leaves Edition - Sept 2019

Pizza baked on the oven floor.
47%20PM

12 Likes

Yeah, just because we had it and a friend uses it in her chicken chili.

1 Like

Very nice. Would like to taste your pumpkin pie martini, recipe?

We had a party at neighbours’ too, they had traiteur coming to serve food, they had invited a lot of people, around 30. A few champagne to start with a few canapés, meal was either roasted chicken or rice with pasta, rice or salad, 2 desserts Unfortunately food was so so, without much seasoning. Lots of alcohol though, we had a great time anyway.

3 Likes

This is so cool, and inventive!

1 Like

A regular easy dinner in this house - mac, cheese, courgettes, onion, bacon. Sprinkling of breadcrumbs and hot paprika on top and under the grill for a couple of minutes to crisp up. Supermarket bag of salad leaf for the “five a day” contribution".

7 Likes

yes, broth. Here’s the recipe I used:

the video shows some steps not listed in the written directions - not that any of it wouldn’t have been easy to figure out. it’s a super simple recipe. They were INCREDIBLE.
DO NOT BE AFRAID OF THE PSTOB! :smiley:

ETA: one thing though - I found a whole cup of broth to be a little too much, maybe because my cast iron was too shallow? It doesn’t look like that much broth in the video. In mine, the broth almost covered the potatoes and I thought that would impede the crisping, so about half way through I turkey-bastered some of it out. They came out perfect.

13 Likes

I actually think these are a riff on Potatoes Fondant, a french dish, which calls for actually cutting cylinders from the potatoes, for an even smoother, fancier look. The recipe i used just called them melting potatoes and just has you cut off the ends of a russet, which automatically gives you that (roughly) cylindrical look. But yes, i’m all for crags!

6 Likes

It actually surprised me that it was pretty good! I thought I had had green beans in the container, but opening it up, saw some thin stalks of asparagus and thought “why not?” :smiley:

4 Likes

Homemade pizza day yesterday for football watching. A few different kinds.image

For some reason I can’t get a pic of the watermelon pizza to upload. It was everyone’s favorite of the day. Just olive oil, cheese, with watermelon and basil added after the pizza was cooked. Drizzled with balsamic glaze. Delicious!

15 Likes

That Wikipedia article refers to this version from the NYT:
https://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/02/02/simple-fondant-potatoes/?_r=0
I read the article years ago and forgot about it. Now I have to try it.

By the way, “now” means any time till the end of December.

2 Likes

I’m like oh PSTOB… Sure… 10 Tablespoons for 4 potatoes certainly qualifies!

4 Likes

I’ve been doing that but on top of the stove and sometimes with just water & fat. I was skeptical about the liquid but it really works. It evaporates as it cooks the potatoes then the oil crisps them.

3 Likes

@Lambchop and @pilgrim, we must have all had homemade pizza on the brain this past weekend.

I am inspired by the photos you shared of your creations.

3 Likes

Oh wow. I’m gonna’ try that.

Note: to be precise, baked on a COOKIE SHEET on the oven floor. To make it even more free of clean-up, I’ve been putting it on parchment paper.

Eat pizza, toss paper, rinse cookie sheet, DONE!

7 Likes

Well thank you @tomatotomato! In the photos the crust looked puffier and thicker (remember the camera adds 10 pounds) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: than it was in reality. It was quite thin actually. We baked it on the pizza stone. Cantaloupe in lieu of watermelon is wonderful too.

4 Likes

LOL. Do you have a favorite dough for your crust? I used to make my own pizza dough but didn’t love the results.

Lately I have been buying frozen and the stuff never does justice to the toppings.

We have a couple ones that we like really well. I’ll post the recipes shortly. :pizza:

2 Likes

@mariacarmen This is a recipe I have been trying to track down for 10 years. We stayed with a family in Alsace. The husband was a game butcher and his wife was a fabulous cook. She served these fabulous potatoes and gave me loose instructions on how to make them, but they never had a name, or one that I caught. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

4 Likes

Very hungry early, so I started with boiled eggs and broccoli patties.

The patties were inspired by the IKEA ones, which I love. Went off-script on half the mixture.

Might still make some of the planned dinner later.

11 Likes