What's for Dinner #49 - the Falling Leaves Edition - Sept 2019

Genius! Saving.

I have no space to own blenders or processors. So it has to be either by hand or store-bought patties, not that I’ve gotten any before. :smile:

Been wanting to make hamburg steaks. Countertop space is tight - recalled making Swedish meatballs and other meatballs as well. Can only do things one at a time.

2 Likes

Bulgogi-esque tacos using a jarred “Korean” sauce from Aldi with a bunch of onion and garlic added. Ingredients sounded legit but it was way too sweet for me. I made a spicy sesame slaw and asparagus with ginger butter as sides.

11 Likes

No problem. My phobias needn’t become yours! Just buy small quantities from butcher counter or super of your choice. I have two feet of workspace which needs hold a bunch of cooking utensils. I work very small, smaller than is efficient but because of decades of having no work space it’s become my MO. Whatever works for you!

1 Like

2-8oz pkg full fat cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 T vanilla extract

I buttered and ap floured a 9” round glass cake pan. Oven 350.
Whip softened cream cheese until creamy.
Add sugar and extract.
Add eggs, one at a time. Whip until light and fully mixed.

Bake 30 mins. Leave on counter 30 mins. Refrig over night.
Slice and serve.

Strawberries I pureed in my blender until smooth.

8 Likes

Venice Beach weekend was a smashing success, despite some disappointing meals :frowning_face: (but also a very good one :heart_eyes:.) Gorgeous weather, and we spent almost all our time within view of the ocean. My food report is linked below from the L.A. board.

By all rights I should be having dust and water salads this whole week, but instead tonight I made pesto sausage orecchiete with some old tomatoes, new spinach, and a hefty serving of steamed-soft broccoli under my pasta. Molinari Italian sausage. Pesto was over a year old from the freezer, and tasted great. Wedge salad with an old hunk of iceberg.

9 Likes

Justin got home before me and decided to cook a belly-busting comfort food feast.

There was 5-cheese mac and cheese along with chicken cordon bleu with pancetta instead of ham. We decided to pan-fry on all sides and then give it 15 minutes in the oven. Was perfectly done.

It was all amazing. Thankfully TONS of leftovers.

20 Likes

Did you walk the strand?

That photo shows it very artfully done.

2 Likes

Tonight - gammon, cabbage and apple - broadly speaking this recipe, which uses bacon chops (but there weren’t any in the supermarket)

New potatoes as the carb. And we have figs for “afters”

6 Likes
3 Likes

Simple and quick dish tonight. Salmon and prawns in foil. Added enoki, shiitake, carrots and green peas as well.

Used my frying pan to cook since I do not have an oven. Only used butter. Few drops of soy sauce added onto each packet after they were done.

15 Likes

Looks clean and delicious. Thanks for the inspiration. I don’t use foil packets enough. Gotta change that!

Parchment paper should work just as fine too. :wink:

1 Like

aw thanks! the BC dressing hid the brown spots. :smiley:

you mean the Venice boardwalk? Muscle Beach, etc.? Yes, of course! at least 3 times each day! That’s the draw of Venice Beach for me - enjoying the parade of humanity.

3 Likes

Comfort food indeed! Looks delicious!

1 Like

Still under the weather,
Took out 1 lb of red Argentina shrimp last night for shrimp and lobster sauce
Thought I will stir fry left over vegetables for garden so son can gave steak dinner for a change.
So, I caramelized onions, added garlic, a couple tomatoes, bell peppers and added blanched , shocked string beans, California fennel pollen, balsamic vinegar Well, he tasted it , says he wants to add Asian spices instead. So, he added gochujang and chili crisp to it. Then, decided to add the pound of shrimp in freezer which we defrosted quickly in a pan of water, then stir fry that with garlic ginger, and added it to the vegetables. Served with rice…
He says he will have steak tomorrow instead as I will be gone all day for more tests.

14 Likes

Meatloaf and mashed potatoes last night, turned into hot meatloaf sandwiches tonight…

18 Likes

My kinda meal! :drooling_face:

1 Like