What's for Dinner #47 - the Halfway Through The Year Edition - July 2019

@digga
I’m here…somewhere… thanks for elbowing me into piping up. My meals are just such boring sameness of what I usually make- i think all of my creative and life energy is devoted to the ongoing epic nightmare of finding a new job and working on various projects for my portfolio so the sameness is vaguely comforting.

There was an interesting random combo i made the other night with some crunchy but not sweet watermelon, edamame, cilantro, scallions and chopped kimchi. Slightly bizarre but also hit the spot on a hot night. I’ll be in CA the last week of august, dad is promising the tomato plants will be ready for me :)) and of course I’ll pilfer their farmers market!

11 Likes

We had our first real harvest of tomatoes today after a long weekend away in Martha’s Vineyard. The cherry tomatoes were sauteed with garlic until they burst, and then some baby “super greens”, toasted slivered almonds and a splash of balsamic were added. Some pasta water, parm and a bit of the over-abundant garden basil finished the dish off. A side of pounded chicken breast coated in panko and parm and quickly browned added a little protein. Simple and tasty.

12 Likes

Cobb salad. A couple subs, for which I will take credit. Snap peas from my garden instead of avocado. And smoked salmon (from our smoker attachment) instead of chicken. This was devoured within 10 minutes of putting it down by our family of 4.

15 Likes

Looks awesome!

A work of edible art!

Of course there was leftover loin. I made a curry, with my faves from the last week.

Reverse seared pork loin, cleaned of fatty bits and connective tissue within an inch of it’s former life, Hyderabadi tomato chutney, and
“Greek Style Green Beans-Fasolakia Lathera…where vegetables are cooked in olive oil and tomato along with herbs.” aka “Ottoman-era dishes called zeytinagli”,
…and coconut milk.

8 Likes

I just sprayed a small pie plate with cooking spray, layered the roasted veggies in the bottom, crumbled some goat cheese in, then poured in the whipped eggs with heavy cream and salt and pepper. Then added more crumbled goat cheese and baked at a lower temp (325°) until it was done.

3 Likes

I made an eggplant parm bake with roasted homegrown zucchini, veggie meatballs, and a few breaded chicken tenders tossed in. Babe ate everything but the eggplant - including spinach-ricotta-parm-egg mixture - a win!!! He also tasted/chewed the roasted zuchinni and cucumbers.

Cucumber salad because, well, you know me…

11 Likes

Refused wine and dessert. Ouch . Not my type .:unamused:

4 Likes

I ended up working late tonight, but had kalbi marinating so i cooked them up when I got home (BF had pizza). yum yum - i had three for my dinner, because they’re never going to be as good as they are right now. Whatever the BF doesn’t scarf for a midnight snack will be for another night’s dinner (she said naively.)

11 Likes

Thanks! Actually they were her idea to make, and she did most of the work. They are really easy to make, especially if you start out with the dough already made. We just did a second hour-long raise, and then proceeded. Definitely worth the small effort. We used Melt vegan butter which to me tasted exactly like dairy butter.

3 Likes

Visiting family, nephews in tow.

Food has been a mix of simple home favorites and kid requests. No pics bec I keep forgetting (or I’m too eager to eat :joy:)

Tonight we had khichdi - kid favorite plus adult tummy calmer. Rice and lentils (yellow moong this time) cooked together with a light smattering of whole spices (cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, black pepper, plus a bit of fresh ginger and garlic, and a pinch of turmeric).

My mom stocks a special rice for this - I guess it’s an indian version of risotto rice. It creates a much creamier version of the dish than I’m used to, and absorbs a lot more liquid. Very tasty.

Accompaniments were yogurt, a spiced potato mash (“bharta”), and pickle for those who are not tummy-compromised at the moment (ie not me :roll_eyes:).

6 Likes

This is basically what I do. Baking it at a slightly lower temperature is what makes it work. Until I found some advice online, I was baking it at the usual 350, and it would stick and never turn out right. Since then, excellent crustless quiches.

2 Likes

After a jam packed, 2 full days in Mexico City, you can read all about it here. It expands beyond just one dinner. Sorry for the long winded report! : Mexico City Report

6 Likes

Upcoming - sausage sandwiches. A new sausage for us - bought from a farm shop we passed. Could be great, could be not so great. My bet is the latter.

Lashings of English mustard and fried onions.

Maybe cheese to follow. but deffo raspberries & ice cream for “afters”.

3 Likes

Well, I veered away from my weekly menu planning. Instead of veggie chili tonight, we did broccoli rabe/veggie Italian sausage/Barilla protein+ spaghetti tonight. B had the leftover salmon from last night as his protein. Copious garlic and lemon juice, supplemented with pasta cooking water and a dollop of Better than Bullion roasted garlic base. We skipped salad tonight.

I did cook the veggie chili today so that’s dinner tomorrow. Just need to get to the farm stand for salad fixings. I normally shop every 2-3 days since I like going with my mood in any given day. I could never be a Costco shopper.

8 Likes

Thank you Linda. I’ll have to give this a try. I’ve only done stovetop frittatas, and savoury clafouti, which adds flour to the egg base.

1 Like

Looks wonderful! What brand of veggie Italian sausage do you use?

2 Likes

Have a fun visit! Hope your tummy acclimates soon.

2 Likes

Nice. What kind of pickles? I have a jar of hot Indian mango pickled relish from deep. I need to figure out what to do with it. Any ideas?

1 Like