What's for Dinner #47 - the Halfway Through The Year Edition - July 2019

Up there with peaches and watermelon as a best part of summer!

4 Likes

hmmm , have to try that . Looked up the recipe already !

Lazy Sunday supper. Small steaks, frying peppers, corn.

All satisfying. I finished off 3 peppers.

9 Likes

Did something different tonight…
I had some jalapeños (5) that I halved, removed the seeds and core, roasted them at 500 degrees for 15 minutes, along with some whole garlic cloves (5)…
Into the mini processor with about 1/2 cup of mayo, s&p, and about 2 ounces of evoo.

Not too much spice just some mild heat, with some soft garlic flavor, served alongside some grilled NY Strips…

I have found a new aioli!

13 Likes

I guess you have! Thanks for putting this on our counter also.

2 Likes

Anniversary lunch at Bull Valley in Crockett, California.
Bull Valley Roadhouse

We like it a lot.
Cornmeal and Rye Waffles.

Husband is a maple syrup dilletante*, but felt they didn’t need it! And he ate fruit!!

Mussels; local (I think, sort of), with pomme frites and aoli.

And of course, some early evening snacks at home. You think you will never need to eat again, but then you do.

Various blue and other cheeses and crackers from Nugget Market.

Then today’s tomato harvest

*Looked up dilletante; not the right word. He will choose a restaurant for breakfast or lunch based on this, can tell maple syrup at a glance, and will not suffer imposters. The fact that he said it wasn’t necessary was huge!

14 Likes

Wow…thanks for this. Bull Valley’s menu looks a little steep but its offerings are interesting, So glad you enjoyed. Most importantly, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

1 Like

Happy anniversary!

Do you can any of your tomatoes?

1 Like

We shared some nice appetizers at Costanera, a Peruvian restaurant in Montclair, NJ.
We had chicharron de pescado - quinoa crusted cod with salsa golf and criolla; crab cake and shrimp with a lobster cream sauce; papa rellana - crispy deep fried mashed potato stuffed with ground beef and cheese in a creamy tomato sauce; spaghetti with a Peruvian pesto sauce (spinach, basil, and queso fresco cheese to give it a creaminess. They also start you off with crispy dry roasted corn and plantains with a spicy aji salsa verde. It all went great with a 2011 AR Guentota Malbec.

10 Likes

I like that .

1 Like

I do not, but I do grow several “paste” tomatoes to cook with in the summer. My favorite recipe is hot and spicy Hyderabadi tomato chutney.

9 Likes

finally back in the kitchen. Made a Milk Street Kitchen recipe for roasting chicken with a sauce that a friend raved about. Chicken pieces (i used thighs) get rubbed with ground coriander/ginger, sugar, s&p. 10 whole peeled garlic cloves go in center of a sheet pan, chicken goes over those, surrounding them so they don’t burn. 35-40 mins at 450. remove chicken, mush garlic cloves into the chicken drippings, add water, scrape up brown bits, put in a bowl and add lemon juice and chopped cilantro. I served it with jasmine rice, and poured the sauce over all of it. Sauce was fab! As was the chicken. Salad was romaine, carrots, purple cabbage, jalapeno, scallions, and mint, in a nuoc cham dressing.

17 Likes

I will have to make that .

3 Likes

We’re going out tonight to an Indian restaurant which has just relocated to the village - so, a rare occurance when we can walk to dinner. Until it closed at the beginning of last year, it used to be a stalwart of Manchester’s “Curry Mile” and we used to go as, going back a few years, it used to be the only place you could get South Indian food in the area. I hope to see a dosa in my very near future (although I was chatting with the owner the other day and said he was cutting down the menu size from the previous place and may not do them).

As for tomorrow, piggy and peas. Thin slivers of pork fillet go into a marinade of garlic, lemon zest, marjoram leaves, p & s, olive oil. Potatoes, shallots, chopped fennel (bulb) and peas braise in more of the marinade mix, a big glass of white wine, a little water and the juice of them lemon. Pork gets fried for, literally, a few seconds each side and that’s what’s for dinner .

9 Likes

Last time I smoked, I placed some poblano in smoker for a short while ( do nto remember how long but took it out when it was somewhat shrunk togged her with some sweet potatoes as side dish), It was delicious! just eaten as is . Have not smoked for about 3 weeks, so my son used the poblanos he harvested the small countertop oven. He told me it is absolutely delicious. I had not tried it bec I am trying to guess what other food I am allergic to.

6 Likes

After a week away and eating all takeout; a food detox was in order. SALADS ON SALADS and then I steamed lobsters as an early birthday dinner for myself :smile: I had extra and made myself a lobster roll the next day for lunch! I love a trip but also love to get home to my own kitchen. Bonus pic of Lake Lousie in Banff. GORGEOUS.

21 Likes

More gorgeous than I’d imagined. We hope to be heading that way next summer. Plan is to fly to Calgary, then go to Banff, followed by Rocky Mountaineer to Vancouver, then Alaska Cruise and a couple more days in Vancouver before flying back to the UK. We’re still doodling with possibilities for the best fit of how to do cost effectively do this. So far, every idea has a “yeah, but,…” attached.

5 Likes

We did 2 nights in Calgary, 4 nights in Canmore and 2 more nights in Calgary. I highly recommend staying in Canmore. It is south of Banff and we found it to be less nutty. Lake Lousie was absurd. I’ve never seen such terrible crowd control. You don’t need to hike or do much of anything to get these views. We did 4 good hikes all about 5-10 km with the little one in a hiking carrier on our backs. The mountains are incredible. This time of year was perfect too (temp and weather wise). I would caution that the Calgary Stampede started the day after we left and it looked like it would be CRAZY. Ask me any question!

5 Likes

Yee’s Restaurant on Grant Ave in SF Chinatown has been tempting my SO with a $23 Roast Goose the last few times we’ve walked by their window. Yesterday, we succumbed to temptation.

The goose was quite good. About 4lbs of chopped bird packed tightly into two containers. Skin still had some crispness, meaty breast and leg quarters, and excellent Cantonese Roasty flavor and taste.

Quick fried Sugar Snap Peas with Pey Dan (salted duck egg) and Fu Yee (fermented bean curd).

Steamed Rice with Lop Cheong, Regular and w/Duck Liver.

Comfort food. Cheap, simple and quick!

Next up? Goose Congee! :wink:

17 Likes

Had lots of produce to use up and a panzanella salad worked a treat. Made some croutons with a whole grain sourdough. Dressing was olive oil, red wine vinegar, fish sauce, grainy mustard, pinch of brown sugar, garlic, salt/pepper. Salad had tomatoes, yellow watermelon, cucumber, a spicy banana pepper, scallion, parm, a handful of arugula, parsley, and basil. Still cool enough to eat outside for the last meal of the 4 day holiday weekend.

11 Likes