What's for Dinner #45 - 05/2019 - The Sunshiny, Flowery & Blooming May Edition

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: [Cincinnati] Recommendations for a coming trip

What a beautiful bouquet and such a lovely surprise!

2 Likes

I made lightly dredged and pan-fried rockfish filets, a cucumber and radish salad with orange muscat vinaigrette, a Caprese salad, and (too salty) pesto and spinach quinoa.

She does NOT like quinoa :joy:

MIL made black raspberry pie (TJ’s crust)

13 Likes

Lol, I am a Philistine, it looks great!

2 Likes

Chocolate hazelnut gelato today. Very fussy but very worth it. It was actually stretchy when it came out of the ice cream maker. Not sure if that was because of the recipe or because I used the (slower) gelato setting on the ice cream maker. I’m also unsure if stretchy gelato is an authentic thing, but I enjoy that texture nonetheless. I’m going to go eat another scoop right now, bye.

12 Likes

Sliced up the cured salmon and froze most of it. A few slices over avocado on half a toasted bun (I had to buy a whole package for that $@&?! delicious lobster roll yesterday, so I’m getting creative). Squeeze of lemon. A day’s rest really helped the flavor and texture too.

For dinner, a new recipe for Musakhan / sumac chicken. Why a new recipe when the old one is easy and delicious? I’m wondering the same thing. Blame the book - the picture looked good, I’m a sucker, etc etc.

End result: it tasted good, but completely different than my usual version. Not as bright. Much fussier. Why. Ok I’m done. Or I will be when I finish the leftovers :joy:.

Served over pita chips with sumac onions.

10 Likes

Apparently it’s national burger day, but I had no desire to go out so some improvising was in order. These are some freezer find turkey meatballs, smashed, with melted cheddar served on a pretzel bun with a drizzle of sweet chili sauce and some cilantro. Side was roasted red potatoes with olive oil, salt, pepper, rosemary, and some New Mexico red chili. There was a little green salad and wine.

11 Likes

It was too hot to cook.

Dinner: Black Forest ham sandwich with tomato and iceberg lettuce. potato salad and carrot sticks. The crunch of iceberg lettuce is so refreshing on a hot day.

I noticed a little jar of pimentos at the grocery recently. It made me recall my MIL’s potato salad which I haven’t made in decades. The jar slipped into my grocery cart and the potato salad was made the other day. I had forgotten how good this version is!

13 Likes

Potato salad with pimentos sounds delicious!

2 Likes

Mrs H cooks tonight. A Jamie Oliver recipe from “Happy Days with the Naked Chef”. Cod fillets go in a baking dish and are topped with cherry tomatoes, basil and mozzarella and, finally, Parmesan . Gets 15 - 20 minutes at 220. Spuds and asparagus to accompany.

Tomorrow, I’m doing Fuchsia Dunlop’s gong bao chicken (although with cashews not peanuts, as it’s wot I got). Steamed pak choi, drizzled with light soy and a little sesame oil to accompany, along with rice.

Then we have a couple of nights eating out and a family birthday lunch after that - and then it’s another week. Hurrah!

5 Likes

Your research is impeccable, and your great uncles’ stories are amazing to read. Never forgotten, thanks to you. :heart:

4 Likes

I made this quite often, easy and tasty!

1 Like

Miso salmon, ponzu-butter corn, edamame, and smacked cukes and radish.

11 Likes

It Was A Day.
Personally, Professionally, and Worldwide.

I needed comfort food.

Mac & Ham & Cheese to the rescue.
Screw the vegetables.
But definitely a glass of Wine.
And Gifford’s Caramel Cookie Crunch ice cream for dessert.

13 Likes

Chicken tinga taco using a paratha (perhaps that makes it a frankie… or a kathi roll…).

Cabbage and carrot slaw on the side.

11 Likes

Really uneventful veggie ramen tonight with same asian-ish cucumbers as usual lately not pictured.

Last night i think i had yogurt and berries followed by watermelon

Monday night was avocado roll, seaweed salad and edamame with my bff and her husband and my favorite toddler after visiting the water park/playground with sprinklers for kids (hysterical!)

My mojo is officially MIA. Please return if you find it.

10 Likes

My mojo is Mia also . I have been looking for it . Been cooking simple reruns. Not there is anything wrong with that .

3 Likes

I really like the seafood curry (effectively a seafood moilee) at Amber India in Mountain View and set out to remake it at home. Online recipes were a bit lacking but provided a starting point, which I tweaked based on intuition. I was pleasantly surprised to nail it on my first try!

Roughly speaking, I started out frying whole spices (curry leaves, mustard seed, cumin, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, star anise) in coconut oil, then fried the aromatics (onion, garlic), then added turmeric and tomatoes and finished with coconut cream, crushed cashews (as a thickening agent) and finally the prawns.

17 Likes

This looks luscious!

1 Like

My MIL JUST made a creamy pasta salad with pimentos the other day. YUM! I never add them to anything but I will next time. It is such a fun addition.

2 Likes