What's for Dinner #45 - 05/2019 - The Sunshiny, Flowery & Blooming May Edition

It’s so nice to be able to share this stuff with people who get it! I’ve traveled with people who found my travel coffee setup annoying. They didn’t see any reason not to just go to the lobby and get a cup of coffee upon waking. I like to start my day with coffee in hand before I begin to deal with what is outsde that door!

7 Likes

Windy day in the Boston area. Have to say I’m not really fond of 18-wheelers moving out of their lane while next to me on the highway because of strong wind gusts hitting the side of their trailer.

It’s Friday, so steak tips with Ballymaloe Steak Sauce, half a big-ass baked tater with TPSTOB and sour cream, and steamed green beans.

And wine.

14 Likes

Last nights delayed meal becomes wfd tonight!

Sam Sifton’s mushrooms with several varieties to be made then poured over rotini and placed in a casserole. Buttered breadcrumbs will be sprinkled atop and popped under the broiler to crisp. Steamed sugar snaps and baby carrots on the side. Dessert will be strawberries!

Have a fun filled holiday weekend for those in the States. Those of you elsewhere - heck - make it a long weekend and have fun too! Tell the boss it’s a form of solidarity!

8 Likes

I made green chicken chili - too spicy, oops! Topped with sour cream, chopped radish, and shredded cheese. Green salad with creamy dressing on the side. Forgot pics.

4 Likes

Back in the day we used to travel with a hotpot, a grinder and a single cup pour over set up. Brought our own beans of course. We’d get a small container of half n half & it worked well since the room & lobby coffee was pure crap usually. These days the room coffee is good & we sometimes brew double packs in the little mini coffee makers. That will usually get us down to the breakfast room or to a nearby coffee shop.

Last time in Hawaii, in the Kona area, it was harvest time & we went on an informative tour. So much work goes into the process and it really made me appreciate my 1 or 2 cups of morning joe. :sunglasses::palm_tree::coffee:

For some reason most of my gf’s are not coffee drinkers, so they just don’t get it…

5 Likes

I had a nice birthday dinner at Sayola in Montclair (1 down 2 to go :grin: ).
We started off with excellent figs stuffed with cheese and nuts with prosciutto and drizzled with balsamic syrup. We also had some awesome thinly sliced charcuterie drizzled in olive oil. It included ham, chorizo, salchichon, olives, and pan tumaca. For entrees Mrs. P had surf and turf which consisted of filet mignon in a red wine reduction and shrimp in a scampi sauce, with asparagus and potato terrine. I had the beef tenderloin with shiitake mushrooms in a sherry wine sauce with mixed vegetables and potato terrine. It all went great with an awesome 2012 Mario Bazan Napa Cabernet that could easily go strong for another 10 years. For dessert Mrs. P made coffee ice cream with dark chocolate espresso beans. The ice cream was made with Medaglia D’oro coffee. It went great with a 10 year old Taylor Fladgate port.

16 Likes

Deconstructed carbonara of bucatini, pancetta, buttered/toasted breadcrumbs/garlic, parm regg, red chili flakes, and lemon zest. and a fried egg that got cut up into the pasta. radicchio was about all we had in the veg drawer, so that was “salad” - which went well, actually - cut that in too, and the bitterness offset the buttery, cheesy, fatty goodness of the pasta.

going to Stinson Beach tomorrow evening at friends’ beach house. we’ll be going out one night, but prepping/cooking/grilling the next. Lots of gin will be swilled (by me), and other such libations.

Happy long weekend for those that have one!

bucatini%20with%20egg

16 Likes

Bellissimo.

3 Likes

In the end, might have been a bit too “rich”,

Grazie!

Upcoming - filet de boeuf a l’Avignonnaise. A recipe from Elizabeth David’s 1950 “Book of Mediterranean Food”. The book’s as old as me and, sometimes, it feels that we’ve been cooking it almost that long - but it’s what we do whenever we cook fillet steak. I think we started to cook it after we visited Avignon back in about 1998. The beef is from the farmers market - the guy farms on the island of Ynys Mon, raising Welsh Black cattle and sheep. There will be saute potatoes and green beans to accompany, both cooked simply so as not to detract from the meat.

For “afters”, a very seasonal rhubarb crumble. With custard, of course.

5 Likes

Mushrooms

Frittata (potato, onion, garlic, zucchini, favas, shishitos, bratwurst, oaxacan cheese)

13 Likes

Nice. Are the mushrooms raw?

I notice, in German cookery mags, they like to call everything that’s thinly sliced “carpaccio”.

A growing trend on British restaurant menus.

By the by, Google tells me carpaccio was invented, as such, in 1950 at Harry’s Bar in Venice and is named after a Venetian painter.

1 Like

Yes, raw with just salt, pepper, Meyer lemon juice and EVOO.

2 Likes

My ex-colleague, Peter, introduced me to raw mushrooms dunked in mayo or aioli, as a snack with drinks. But that’s Anglo-Aussies for you. It must be the best part of 30 years ago and I still enjoy them from time to time. It reminds me of Pete’s daughter, Alice, who died at the age of 15, in 1991, from tampon related toxic shock syndrome. She was a lovely girl.
http://www.tamponalert.org.uk/

3 Likes

Aha…mushrooms with aioli as a living room hors d’oeuvre!. Elegant and so easy.
Thanks.

Nice again. Best treatment for raw button mushrooms as I don’t like mayo and dips.

It used to be beef and other meats but now vegs and everything as well. Finely sliced gravad lax isn’t called “smoked salmon carpaccio”, yet.

Yes! I was surprised to see zucchini “carpaccio” on a menu a while back, but I quite enjoy making it now [whatever the name should be :joy:]

4 Likes

May I ask what is it? I know daube Avignonnaise but not filet.