What's for Dinner #45 - 05/2019 - The Sunshiny, Flowery & Blooming May Edition

That all looks delicious! Are the shrimp toasts Vietnamese?

1 Like

Beautiful fish!! Looks spectacular…

1 Like

Awesome. You’re making me crave crab cakes.

2 Likes

I second on the high heat method, but I cook the bird “Spatchcocked” on a flat sheet pan, and find the bird cooks very evenly. The most important method I learned if using high heat is to check the bird frequently with an instant read thermometer to avoid over cooking. As with any roasting there is always temperature creep after you remove the bird from the oven, usually about 5 to 10 degrees, so adjust accordingly.

3 Likes

At least I’ll be in my comfy clothes vs in the office.

And the wine is decent, a good basic wine for the price.

1 Like

31 posts were split to a new topic: [Cincinnati] Recommendations for a coming trip

To start - “risotto verde alle erbe” - a recipe from the River Cafe “Cook Book 2”. Spinach, peas and mint are blanched then pureed and held to one side. Onion & celery are fried till soft, then garlic and thyme goes in. Then the rice. It cooks in a white vermouth and vegetable stock mix. When the rice is nearly done, the spinach puree goes in, followed by Parmesan, chopped marjoram and basil and cream.

To follow, a recipe from Valentina Harris that we’ve been doing for more years than I care to remember. Chicken breasts fry for a bit in an oil, garlic and rosemary mix. Then white wine and wine vinegar is added and a lid goes on till it’s cooked. We’ll have that with steamed spring greens. Google reminds me that I mentioned the chicken on WFD for 4/16 and, for those long in the tooth, on Chowhound’s WFD Part XXII, for 2/2010.

Dessert - supermarket tiramisu.

7 Likes

I associate shrimp toast as Chinese from childhood, but Andrea Nguyen has a recipe, so maybe cross cultural?

Fresh fish on the bone really is something special.

1 Like

The soft shell crab dinner was about as perfect as it gets! I’m not sure I would make this particular recipe for the pickled ramps again. It only picled for an hour before dinner so I’ll see what the leftovers are like now that they have mingled for a day or so. Leithes recipe for sauteed ramps is how I always make them - absolutely delicious!

3 Likes

Christina recently made a dish from Ed Lee’s Smoke & Pickles and I remembered how much I’d enjoyed his recipe for frog’s legs. As luck would have it my seafood market had frog’s legs on special this week plus I found nice watercress and snow pea pods at an Asian market I seldom get to visit. So tonight is:

Lee’s Frog’s Legs with celery, chile pepper, fish sauce, and brown butter which will be served over rice.

Lee wrote the recipe as an appetizer. I increase the sauce and the greens and serve over rice and it makes a delicious dinner. It’s a quick one-skillet dish which is a plus in my book!

9 Likes

Tonight, a roasted lamb leg with an endive radish salad.

A very tasty shrimp pho - a delicious broth made only with head and shells of shrimps, fish head and bones with onion and herbs. Shrimps cooked with lemongrass.

Lebanese fishcake with lemon confit and cumcumber yogurt with fresh mint

Lyonnaise pistachio sausage with sauerkraut, fermented cabbage, from 2 different regions.

Asperagus with andouillette

18 Likes

A decidedly non-Derbyish dinner. But a stunning outcome to the race.

A bacon cheeeeeezeburger on a toasted bulkie roll and a quick throw-together peanut-sauced spaghetti salad with sugar snap peas, radishes, red bell pepper and green onions. And wine.

Oh. And can the rain just stop raining?

16 Likes

Our neighbor brought over a bottle of rosé and I laid out some snacks. Then we attended a neighborhood party and ate a few more.

12 Likes

http://blueashchili.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/BACMenuCarryout2018.pdf
Blue Ash is favored by a lot of locals, but doesn’t get the publicity the other 2 do.

3 Likes

Very nice meals there! The leg of lamb and shrimp pho especially appeal to me.

2 Likes

I’m sure I’m being closed minded, but his description of how frogs like taste does not appeal to me at all!

They don’t taste aquatic to me. But I’ve never had wild caught frog legs to my knowlege. I think they are pretty neutral in flavor. In comparison to chicken it’s about the same as comparing rabbit to chicken. All three are rather mild.

This recipe has enough strong flavors going that the flavor of the frog isn’t going to be front and center. The recipe could easily be made with chicken wings!

2 Likes

@ChristinaM

Like @meatn3, I never felt aquatic taste in frog too, it’s mild with a slightly different texture from chicken. Don’t know why, most frogs recipes I come across are rather either quite strong in flavours or deep fried.

2 Likes

This is about as easy as it gets. And, although not exactly seasonal here, the sun is shining and a summery dish doesnt seem too out of place.

Big chunks of peppers and courgettes go into a roasting tin, with halved tomatoes, sausages, thyme and olive oil. It bakes for 40 minutes or so at 180. There’s crusty sourdough to mop up what I hope will be lots of juices.

And we still have a little Wensleydale to nibble on for “afters”.

6 Likes