What's for Dinner #45 - 05/2019 - The Sunshiny, Flowery & Blooming May Edition

They taste nice but the colour can look a bit weird depending on what you’ve sprinkled them over. I don’t have a big garden so my herbs have to look good amongst the flowering plants, as well as taste good. I have three chive plants and I cut them down to ground level in sequence. Means they flower at different times, usually a couple of times a year, so there’s always a mix of tender stems and flowering plants.

7 Likes

Super tip. Why have I not thought of this? Probably because I’m too busy fending off the wildlife that treats our garden as a salad bar.

5 Likes

Blend a good amount of lemongrass and ginger, add salt and sugar to dissolve, and enough water to make up a brine for chicken pieces. Brine for 2 days. Careful on the salt.

Cook per preference - you can grill for char, sauté in a pan and finish in the oven, or my preference is slow roasted at 300 for silky smooth chicken.

2 Likes

Yes! The other quick bread in the book (spinach and spice loaf) is also good. Yogurt in both recipes helps.

1 Like

omg that pasta!

2 Likes

Mrs. P made a pan seared chimichurri shrimp salad with fresh parsley, olive oil, oregano, lemon zest, grilled lemons, red wine vinegar, fresh garlic, salt, red pepper flakes, arugula, sugar snap peas, tomatoes, red onions, scallions, olives, and English cucumbers.

13 Likes

Mrs. Ph is working on a case that has her doing almost 12 hours days until Saturday.
I have a three day pass to the Indy 500! (bucket list event)…Going to Indy via Cincinnati and connecting with some friends, Mrs. PH is staying home. As such I do have to leave some food for her…tonight… Shrimp and fettuccine, ala minute.
Here is the “mise en place”

Here is the shrimp shells cooking for a shrimp stock to add to the pasta and vegetables
And of course we need our greens; a small mix of Romaine, spinach, tomato, butter beans, red pepper chopped almonds .

More pics when I serve!
Might I add I am leaving Thursday, so this I the last meal…but I did procure a large bottle of her Pino Grigio to hold her over for a few days!

13 Likes

Thank you!!!

1 Like

Wowza! Vibrant.

1 Like

Thank you :blush:

Yesterday was weird crazy hot and had zapped any motivation and my appetite, just snacked on random bits and had a big bowl of watermelon.

Tonight i was playing with my mandolin (wearing my cut proof glove!) and made “carrot chips” like i’ve seen at the store. I blanched them, well slightly past blanching but still firm, and chilled. Then tossed with rice wine vinegar, soy, sesame oil, sesame seeds and cilantro.

Side of a few hideous chickenless things i just dipped in some bbq sauce. Sparing you a photo of the real ones

There’s definitely more watermelon in my near future

10 Likes

Char siu country rib “tips” with vietnamese cabbage salad. The pork actually turned out great after a longer marinade.

11 Likes

Wild salmon with lemon pepper, spinach-cheddar pierogi, and steamed broccoli. Later, wine and cucumber, sugar snap peas, and multi-grain crackers with homemade Beau Monde dip.

14 Likes

Is this a dip made with Beau Monde seasoning? Thats a blend which is becoming hard to find! I recently found a recipe for making the blend in a China Bayles mystery by Susan W. Albert. I need to copy it before I rehome the book!

2 Likes

Chuck wagon night . Meat and potatoes locally sourced . Dollop of Heinz 57 . Wine to drink .Cheers .

10 Likes

I was just looking it up too…

2 Likes

Tonight - tortilla capuchina - a recipe from Janet Mendel’s “Cooking in Spain”.

It has the classic ingredients, potato & onion, of a tortilla espanola but includes asparagus tips and breadcrumbs. We’ll have that with the salad that we always have with tortilla (as its the one we had at the Spanish brother-in-law’s house when we first ate tortilla) - lettuce, onion and tomato with an oil and lemon juice dresssing, plus a shake of Tabasco.

By the by, Google has been no help in establishing what “capuchina” means. Or, at least, means in this context. It tells me that its the Spanish name for the plant I know in English as nasturtium. Now I know that young nasturtium leaves are edible - but it’s not an ingredient in the recipe. And, in English, “capuchine” finds a pigeon variety - and that’s not an ingredient either. Perhaps it’s just something colloquial - are there any Spanish speakers (Maria?) out there who might know? Thanks.

9 Likes

Scrunchies? As in hair accessories? Random! I love that place. Nice reminder to get up north now while the weather is good.

2 Likes

Hear, hear to planning ahead for your wife’s food and beverage sustenance especially because she’s working long days.

That’s something we try to do for each other in our house as well — though my husband jokes that he does his best cooking with a credit card (takeout).

Enjoy your travels!

6 Likes

In principal, yes, but I just mixed celery salt and TJ’s onion salt into yogurt and mayo. I added dried dill.

2 Likes