What's for Dinner #45 - 05/2019 - The Sunshiny, Flowery & Blooming May Edition

Terrific thank you

1 Like

My pleasure :relaxed:

1 Like

Sicilian pizza night again. We’ve pretty much settled on using Kenji Lopez-Alt’s Sicilian dough recipe in the food processor, with a sauce of D.O.P. tomatoes, garlic and oregano, and topped with about 3/4 lb. (or more) deli-sliced whole milk mozzarella and a generous sprinkling of parm. I doubled the recipe, so guess what’s for dinner tonight! I may top some of the leftovers with a little hot Italian sausage and some sliced banana peppers.

14 Likes

Gorgeous!

1 Like

Thanks! It was a tasty old-school treat.

Check out my dinner from last night, originally shared in the NJ steak thread. :smiley:

2 Likes

A recipe I saw in one of my French cookbook, endive tart inspiration Flammkuchen: soft cheese, bacon, endives, red onions and puff pastry. I don’t have kirsch, so no flaming.

I also made rabbit rillette to go with the tart. Rabbit thighs were browned with a pan and the cooking was finished in the oven for 20 minutes. The meat was cooled, then removed from bones and torn finely, mixed with lemon confit, black olives, red onion, capers, chive, red peppercorn, red Hawaiian salt and olive oil.

Ate too much, bubbling now… :crazy_face:

11 Likes

51 degrees outside, so the Weber remained under it’s winter blanket.

Burgers went on the George Foreman. Corn on the cob from somewhere along the Equator. Vlasic Dill Pickle Spears from?

11 Likes

I really like when a day falls into place naturally.

Weather? Perfect Spring Day. (Finally!)
Drive to Mom’s? lovely.
Visit with Mom? most excellent.
Drive back from Mom’s? Again, most excellent.
Time to? Start the deck garden.
Shopping at my local garden center mid-afternoon? Crazy on the 1st nice day this Spring. But I got what I needed.
Deck? Has been decked out in its herb and veggie and flowery finery.

Dinner? Pork chop with shallot-wine sauce, basmati rice and steamed broccoli. There was wine.

It was a good day.

14 Likes

It’s the weekend which means dining out. We had another excellent dinner at Tillie’s in Millburn, NJ. The outstanding comp of the day was homemade pasta with bacon, ramps, and crabmeat. Chef Wirt is always very generous to us. I usually gift him with a bottle of wine every few months to show our appreciation. Tonight I gave him a bottle of Cajun Chef green hot sauce from New Orleans.

We also split an entree portion of crispy fried chicken thighs that came in an awesome puree of roasted garlic and cider vinegar.

I had the molasses brined pork chop as an entree and Mrs. P had her usual spicy Cajun shrimp and grits (not pictured).

It all went great with a 2016 Adage Domaine Montvac Gigondas.

12 Likes

That is QUITE a dinner! Chicken looks perfectly crisp, pasta ingredients :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Postponed dinner plans. So the Khichdi Chronicles continue. Italians make arancini with leftover risotto, Indians make… flatbreads aka thepla.

With grape tomato and fresh mozzarella salad, sorrel pickle, and a measly amount of yogurt (because I didn’t know I had almost run out).

It’s unusual for me to crave dessert, but I am. Maybe the mini chocolate chocolate chip cookies would go with salted date palm jaggery ice cream that’s been languishing in the freezer.

11 Likes

Thanks @Saregama ! Yes, everything was delicious. The chicken was nice and crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. It went great with the roasted garlic and cider vinegar puree. The bacon, ramps, and crabmeat combination went great with the pasta. The molasses brined pork chop was no slouch either :slightly_smiling_face:

Clams and mussels . Grilled on ci skillet over coals . Bread with grated tomatoes, o.o salt , and garlic. Wine to drink. Cheers .

14 Likes

Looks good, could you describe the flavours of the chop, which molasses? Thinking of doing something similar. TIA.

1 Like

Sorry @naf. I don’t know what type of molasses the Chef used. It was just brined in molasses, so the molasses flavor was not dominating, but it was juicy. I don’t know what other ingredients were used in the brine. I think he used the same roasted garlic and cider vinegar sauce on it that was used in the fried chicken.

2 Likes

I’ve taken Mrs H, her sister and mother to North Wales where they are spending a few days. Called at a farm shop near there. New owners and nowhere near as good. Bought local lamb chops, some braising steak (from Welsh Black cattle) and sausages. All have gone in the freeezer.

Definitely another easy dinner at Harters Hall - chicken & mushroom pie (supermarket but “proper” with pastry top sides and bottom), saute spuds (last night’s leftovers fried up) & asparagus. Cheese for “afters” - Blacksticks Blue.

8 Likes

In the event - pancakes for “afters”. Supermarket purchase. Three rolled up, microwaved for a minute, eaten with the traditional sugar and lemon.

1 Like

John. You should not be left alone. :rofl:

I’ve had the better of the food, Jimmy. Mrs H rang and told me that the hotel dinner was not good.

3 Likes