What's for dinner? #4 - Dec 2015 - The Solstice Countdown Edition

Cheap and delicious dinner today made with yesterday’s goose legs. Just added Speck, potatoes and broccoli near the end.

1 Like

After a stellar report from my Dr. today (still waiting for bloodwork results) but I’m down to 265 from 315 in July, blood pressure and pulse are excellent! He told me I deserve a “pat on the back” so here it is.

3 shrimp-3 east coast oysters, 20oz Kansas City strip on the bone (prime & aged) creamed spinach and a little bernaise. This really isn’t that “special” of a meal though, all of this is part of my daily diet. Lol

10 Likes

Congrats JR and a great way to celebrate.

2 Likes

Ok, the final Christmas food shopping is completed. The house groans under the weight, even though there’s only the two of us to feed.

Tonight - supermarket pizza and supermarket bag of leaf salad. An unthrilling meal but one full of the wonders that the light is again returning so we’ll be able to have the solstice/yule/Saturn feast.

1 Like

that blood pudding in the Gaffel am Dom photo (love that place – doubly so in the summer when they’re seating out on the river) - is the only blood pudding I will eat. Don’t care for it enough to order it on its own, but I’ll eat it if it’s on the plate. Last had it made into a salad on a hot June day – very oddly refreshing with herbs and tomatoes and cucumber.

There’s a bunch of TJ’s Greek feta lingering in the fridge… and it’s been there for quite a while. So I decided to use it up in something of a Greek chicken stew. Only problem… yours truly picked up a few more shifts today - smacko in the middle of cooking time. Soooo, my man has gotten written instructions, which are similar to what’s below (more swearing in the instructions, natch '-))

BLSL chicken thighs are browned in olive oil, then taken out. Diced onion and crushed garlic get a brief sauté till translucent, then some tomato paste is added. After toasting that for a bit, a splash of wine, thyme, oregano and rosemary is added, as well as a big can of crushed tomatoes.

Next up is chunked up Chinese eggplant, chopped up green pepper, feta and chopped kalamata olives.

This’ll all simmer until I get back from work & should be ready to tuck in. It’s a dreary, rainy day, so this should hit the spot.

Driving upstate to visit my man’s famblee for a coupla days, packing marinated leg o’lamb for shish kebab = xmas day lunch.

There will be pilaf, of which my SIL is the queen.

4 Likes

It is a nice restaurant-pub indeed. Usually any place in that area of town that is called “am Dom” tend to be touristy, expensive and horrible in general but Gaffel location is perfect, plus good food and beer.

Also agree with you that blood sausage in the style of Cologne and Düsseldorf is delicious and I order it every time.

Can’t stand Fruh – Sion is good to show first-timers the concept of a huge beer hall. Peters is cosy and warm, but Gaffel hits all the points for me – nice, but not stuffy, not touristy, and really good food. The fact that theirs is my favourite of the Koelsches just underlines my choice.

I have a real thing for eisbein, kneudel and Koelsch.

Went back to the wine maker’s shop today and it was cool. They have everything in their range. Good thing we didn’t rely on the supermarket even though they have quite a big selection from this local producer. Got to try a few things before buying. Tood bad we can’t realy get more than 2 bottles as we already have 5 Eisbock (75cl bottles) to take home.

Dindin today was another simple meal: steamed zander in Riesling and small king trumpet mushrooms.

Same wine in the fish

3 Likes

Früh has the worst Kölsch! I did have some tartare on half a roll there before making my escape.

1 Like

Tonight I will turn last nights potatoes into some sort of fritters and accompany with a zucchini and tomato saute keeping it simple and using up the perishables before the holiday - tomorrow a mad dash of last minute things and then holiday traffic with hopefully a good xmas eve dinner at the end of it. xmas eve is always tricky as my oldest sister is usually a bit more unhinged then her normal levels of crazy (which is pretty nutty to start with) and mostly the evening is a long effort in dodging bullets and avoiding escalation, hoping we get though dinner and get her on her way home unscathed. Sometimes she does not show up and we are spared but I have a feeling she’s coming this year - going to relax tonight the calm before the storm.

4 Likes

Well done you, Jr. Don’t get carried away, though.

1 Like

Oh Boy, JT. That is hilarious to read. It sounds like something my brother would have said about me. The funny thing is I would have been the one who cooked the dinner he just raved about.

Merry Christmas !

2 Likes

The man done good. All the stew needed when I got home was a good shake of salt, pincha cayenne & a splash of balsamic.

Really tasty, overall, for an on the whim thing ‘just to get rid of some feta’.

Avo/cuke salad on the side with creamy dill dressing.

1 Like

Gio, I made stock (as a side benefit) from a couple of pig ears. Insanely wonderful. I used carrots, onion, celery and some fresh herbs. I don’t think I’ve ever used salt in stock. Do most people?

Liquid bread and actual bread. Not low carb, but a nice post work 4 day weekend dinner.

1 Like

To start…mixed hors d’ouevres. There’s a supermarket tub of seafood mix - squid, anchovy, prawn, nussel. There’s to be grated carrot and celeriac remoulade, some Bayonne ham and some “stuff” from jars marinated courgettes, artichokes and the like. .

To follow…fillet de beouf a la Avignonaise (an Elizabeth David recipe(, saute potatoes, green beans

To continue…Comte

To finish…mango & passion fruit cheesecake (not homemade, of course, this is why supermarkets have patisserie counters)

Let the feasting commence!

2 Likes

My daughter was born on Christmas Day so making a braised brisket for dinner tomorrow. It’s something she like me to make. Figured I’d start it today and slice it cold tomorrow and then finish it. The damn thing was too big to brown on the stove so did that on the grill. Looked so good I wished I could just finished it on the grill.

A nice Jewish girl born on Christmas. At least I’m always home on her B’day

5 Likes

But what are you making along side?..I was born on the first night of Chanukah, and was referred to as the “miracle”, because my mon miscarried a couple of times before I was born.
PS…save me some of that fat cap for my sandwich!

My daughter was a miracle baby as well (more details than anyone can imagine) delivered by Dr. Angel, a Jewish high risk doctor. I had a good chance of going home with neither wife or child that day. It was touch and go.

The brisket is braising with lots of root veg, browned mushrooms and aromatics. I was going to do roasted cubed white and sweet potatoes as a side and roasted Brussels sprouts. The ovens will be doing high duty and it’s going to be mid 80s here. That’s what’s A/C is for I guess

1 Like