What's for Dinner #37 - the School's Back! Sept '18 Edition

Just interest! Sometimes I will try something in a restaurant, read up on the cuisine, and try to recreate it. Good question, though! I love global foods and there isn’t always a restaurant where I can try the real deal, so I often cobble together ideas from blogs, cookbooks, and HO. My family background is Western/Central/Eastern Europe and American hodgepodge.

5 Likes

Love her strawberry-peach, too - snap it up if you see it!

1 Like

I was so surprised to find a large glass jar of it at Costco I bought three figuring its a fluke

1 Like

Cool weather (8 C) and the first day of kindergarten for my munchkin!

I decided to go with some vegan sweet potato and black bean chili for this cool weather! Tasty! Finished up with some brown butter rice krispy treats (not remotely vegan!).

6 Likes

Always amazing food posted here.

Tonight was a hodgepodge of leftovers from this weekend. Have a friend that owns a few Sonny’s BBQ. His stores are a big notch above the rest.

BBQ chicken and mashed sweet potatoes with a quick salad of shredded romain and raw brussels

11 Likes

I made French stuffed tomatoes following this recommendation from a Chowhound poster: “I nail this about 70% of the time and fail about 30%. This was one of the nails. My recipe is very close to chocmiel’s on YouTube: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=olJFflI… I add (cooked) rice to the bottom of the glass dish before I put the stuffed tomatoes in the oven, along w/ some of the tomato-innards mixture, and pour white wine and a little olive oil over the whole thing. On good days, the pork/beef fat combines with the wine and bakes to a light fond on the bottom of the pan; stir that fond into the rice & your eyes will be rolling back in your head. On bad days, it doesn’t make a fond. The dish is still okay, but…
Chocmiel’s video is in French, but pretty self explanatory. For the meat filling I use half ground beef, half Jimmy Dean ‘sage’ pork sausage. When you see her throwing something white into the pan around 3:05, that’s powdered sugar, not salt. 400-ish degrees Fahrenheit for 45 mins. We love this”

In addition to being delicious, this was very thrifty using garden tomatoes, leftover sliced onion and tomato from last night, leftover rice with peas from the night prior, wild rice from the freezer, and the dregs of a bottle of rosé.

The poster’s instructions were a little vague but I took it to mean leftover meat-tomato mix was to be stirred into the cooked rice before baking. I left the dish uncovered for maximum crisping, and it was a good call. We all loved it! Served with leftover salads.

My DH dished this out and I returned half the rice to the pan to make room for…wait for it…a half piece of pie :grin:

16 Likes

Nice!

1 Like

Delicious! When I cook stuffed tomatoes nowadays (never used wine or broth), it usually turns out fine, except if the tomatoes are too ripe and they crack. Since your recipe is cooked in wine, I think the meat mixture is fine, should be moist. I add either bread crumbs or rice in the mixture, if not the it tends to be a bit “dry” and not “airy”. Also, I like to add grated parmasan.

1 Like

Plus all that fat in a sausage and ground beef keeps it quite moist. :joy:I was careful not to overwork the meat. I’ll definitely be making this again when we have more tomatoes ready. My ninja mini chopper made quick work of the tomato-onion-garlic-parsley filling

1 Like

Crazy days at work, school is open!
A little cheat with Amy’s Cheese Enchiladas, our own salsa and home made Mexican style rice and sour cream. :wine_glass:

10 Likes

https://www.sarabeth.com/About-Us_ep_7.html

1 Like

When Sarabeth operated a restaurant off the lobby of the original Whitney Museum we enjoyed a weekend brunch there. We have also gone to one of the westside locations for pancakes and coffee. Her apricot orange jam is delicious and was gifted to me when I was in NYC working city events. That was my introduction. I have also toured her kitchen inside Chelsea Market.

Nice to know you are just as familiar and a fan.

1 Like

I only know her jams from TXMaxx blush

3 Likes

We’re in the midst of a heatwave. Schools without A/C closed early Tuesday and will remain closed through tomorrow!

I steamed corn I had purchased at the farmer’s market this morning, and was dreading further heating up the kitchen in this oppressive heat. Then, a Hyderabadi aunty dropped off some goat biryani. I thanked my lucky stars and whipped up a batch of cucumber raita.

I mixed pureed watermelon with lime juice and simple syrup for a drink, and had a bowl of sugar cube melon slices afterward.

Earlier in the day I ate the last of our labor day batch of chocolate-sesame cucpakes, inspired by the chocolate cake thread. We used this recipe, substituting tahini for the peanut butter.

16 Likes

Ha! Imagine that😉

1 Like

I wish had your aunties here… :smile:

5 Likes

Last night made a pan seared chicken breast served with fried okra and tomatoes. The okra Inspired from a dish I learned of from Suvir Saran when he frequented eGullet

12 Likes

Please share!

1 Like

I just wing it but here is a recipe from Food and Wine

2 Likes

I threw two whole eggplants on the grill after we were done cooking steaks and burgers last weekend, and they had been languishing in the fridge every since. So, last night I turned them into a non-traditional baba ganoush, with plenty of lemon, garlic and tahini, plus cilantro and fresh jalapeno. Super tasty! Served alongside some spicy sausages last night, with plenty left for spreading on all sorts of things in the coming days. A gift that keeps on giving!

6 Likes