What's for Dinner #37 - the School's Back! Sept '18 Edition

dinner tonight was very simple
A friend was invited for a boat ride, we had a nice lunch of Costco’s fresh ahi tuna seared till medium rare, tried the new Japanese yuzu kasha codiment added to mirin, red miso , and sesame oil to make a creamy dressing. Broccolini roasted with EVOO, S/P and roasted small potatoes in EVOOo with S?P and rosemary. I forgot to take pictures as usual/ The guest bought 2 rice dumplings which we call MA CHANG for our dinner. I steamed one of them as my son will be eating left over. pizza from Ledo’s. It is glutinous sticky rice, with pork peanuts and mushroom wrapped in bamboo. leaf. I steamed it, then added ketchup and tabasco to it. Reminds me of home when my grandma used to make them. I look forward for another treat tomorrow YUMMY!

8 Likes

Yesterday was my favorite one year old’s birthday party! I always enjoy bubbly in the afternoon :)) i stayed to help un-decorate and bring stuff back to their apartment. Once the no longer a baby was in bed we ordered in from a great chinese place nearby and opened more wine. My bff’s parents were in town- i have known them since forever too of course- so it was nice to catch up. No photos because they would think that weird, but i had the dry fried green beans, tofu with black bean garlic sauce and some of the eggplant.

Another simple tomatoey soup tonight, orzo was on sale at the store so of course that was out of stock. Got something called tubbeti? Added a handful to my onion/garlic/tomato paste/chopped canned tomatoes, thyme, veg broth and zucchini. The last slice of that raisin fennel semolina bread along with it.

9 Likes

I love hearing about what you cook, whoever you are, and especially about your favorite children of various ages. I’ve had many favorite children myself, and then at age 52 adopted a seven year old from foster care. The food challenges are many so we have separate meals but all come together around food, even if it’s just verbal. That tomato-y soup looks luscious, and dry green beans Chinese style is a big favorite for the parents in our house (not for son who is 19 as of yesterday)…

2 Likes

There was so much butter and gravy tonight. I dropped my plate on the kitchen floor. Scooped out all the leftovers from the pan for dinner onto a new plate . Smiled to myself. Damn this tastes great
Wine to drink. :wine_glass:Cheers

4 Likes

What a welcome back as I go through replies and comments. I was chatting up HO over the weekend to my buddies.

Thanks again. Your daily meals and photos continue to elevate my recent efforts to take on meal detail at my home.

Cheers,
Rooster

5 Likes

Fed “Tubetinis” to my girls when they were babies…they were easy to eat and did not fall of the spoon. Normally we put them in our chicken soup and when they wanted to start feeding themselves it was easier then broad egg noodles for them to handle.

1 Like

Hope you had a great entry into your 7th decade!

2 Likes

Thanks! Three concerts in NYC, nibbling every which way, a few buddies came along before finishing a tour commitment, my son came to town, my wife surprised me with a meet and greet through a client connection.

Now its back down to earth…kick retirements ass😀.

Rooster

4 Likes

@Linda, Make it count ( as I suspect you will)!:tada:

1 Like

I’m very late joining the party, so Happy Birthday! Sounds like you kicked off the coming year with a wonderful celebration.

Thanks Denise, I had a blast. Three days flew and we made the most of it best we could.

1 Like

I’ve started a new October thread here:

6 Likes

Happy belated birthday to your son!

1 Like

I can see how that would be perfect for very young ones. I don’t add pasta to my soups that often- I usually make large pots and the pasta ends up overdone moosh after freezing and reheating- but for smaller portions of soup i like the little pasta, it soaks up the flavors nicely.

1 Like

oops, I meant to say I love hearing about what you are cooking “wherever” you are, not “whoever you are”!

3 Likes

Same here “T”…Noodles (Pasta) cooked on the side and added at service time, as my great-grandmother did… That even applies to my tomato soup, garnished with pieces of crusty old bread and a sprinkle of cheddar; at the time of serving.

1 Like

Turns out the wife was familiar. She pointed to the container on the pantry shelf this morning with a smile. Really nice on my scrambled eggs.

So we made it to the Upper East Side–for the first time in years–and burst into Don Filippo’s and demanded garlic knots. We got a bag of 5 pieces for $1.60. My wife and I each took one and started to eat it. They were ok, quite garlicky. After that we each dove in and took a second, which we each greedily devoured. There was one left. We fought over it.

By the way, Dons Bogam, which I learned about from one of @Ttrockwood’s posts, was one of our favorite places this trip.

3 Likes

Oh fantastic! Glad you enjoyed them :)) I swear if they gave away the first knot free there were be lines out the door to pay whatever they asked!
Dons bogam is so perfect for “fancy” ktown dinner, I’m overdue for a return visit myself. Great that it was a hit for you guys

I just realized that we visited Dons Bogam Black, not the original Dons Bogam. It was very good, but we only had a smallish lunch. If I understand correctly from the internet, the Black version is a lot more expensive than the original. So we have something to look forward to next year.