What's for Dinner #36 - August and Everything After

Homemade chicken burritos with coconut popsicles for dessert.

I used roasted chicken shredded, grated pepperjack cheese, takeout salsa from our fav place, grilled corn, avocado mash and sour cream stuffed in green veg burrito rounds. Lots of lime for both.

Speaking of sour cream, the Daisy brand in the pouch container is a great value, dispenses clean and keeps fresh a long time…plus, unlike the typical top open container you dont get food gunk left behind.

5 Likes

I had read about the discounts before we came, and the tip from @meatn3 had me paying more attention, but I couldn’t find the deep discounts. We were only out of the touristy areas for a day and a half, though. I dropped in to supermarkets in heavy residential neighborhoods but didn’t have any luck as far as discounts. Seems like I was probably too late. I did have luck finding all sorts of new things, a bit too much luck if you ask my family. They dragged me out of the supermarkets kicking and screaming.

I’ll post soon about the expensive fruit. Do you live in Tokyo? We got off at a subway station with 28 exits yesterday and I wondered if Tokyo has stations with 50 exits.

1 Like

I really like this too. I think it lasts quite a bit longer than the regular style packaging.

2 Likes

Hi BMC,

We live in San Francisco. We’ve been exploring the Tokyo and Kansai area, and will be branching out to other areas soon. Japan is such a wonderful place to roam and get immersive.

We spend 2~3 weeks when we travel, and have learned to watch our budget. Gotta have the bucks for the requisite Kobe dinner and the Omakase lunches. ;).

Japan can be so expensive. Years ago, we saw a grocer applying discount stickers to perfectly beautiful stuff, we were agog! We love to shop for food anyway, and totally enjoy the game of timing the discounts.

Not all, but most supermarkets discount before they break down their sections. The GOOD stuff goes FAST! The really good stuff is snatched within seconds. Fortunately, the Japanese are so darn polite. Wife hasn’t gotten any elbow bruises yet from her supermarket forays.

Lost in an Osaka supermarket:

9 Likes

I love living vicariously through your posts here! No need to worry about making them shorter!
I haven’t had fresh fruit mochi before but am absolutely positive i would love it. I understand what you mean about the food presentation being almost too perfect, that gives me pause as well

1 Like

Your scallops are always gorgeous. Yum.

1 Like

Savory watermelon! My friend brought me back a souvenir from their insane trip to iceland, this dramatic lava salt which has an earthy minerally flavor and nice flakey brittle texture. Plus cilantro and olives.
Not pictured side of a few defrosted meatless balls since they look like :poop:! Haha, really unattractive but i like them as is.
Kombucha a la carte of course

9 Likes

BF came down with a bad man-cold (at least he’s not whiny about it, and actually doesn’t even let me fuss over him) but was feeling well enough to eat tonight. since he’s a sucker for sausage, i cooked up some frenchy ones (herbes de provence & white wine) from a local sausage resto/vendor, and made taters and an egg each. teeny TJs potatoes were boiled, smashed a tad, salted, deep fried, then drizzled with the last of the aji verde. egg fried in butter, natch. as an appy, leftover karaage wings from an izakaya we ate at the other night.

don’t tell ME to feed a cold!

17 Likes

Taste testing potato and onion and what not mini frittatas with Romesco.

17 Likes

I can’t even put it into words.:blush:

1 Like

those look fabulous. will you share your romesco recipe please? thx

3 Likes

And from Aldi’s, too! I’ll have to go get some scallops soon as I get home. I never realized they carried scallops.

2 Likes

Yesterday was a birthday and I was told not to lift a finger with household chores. So, I pottered round the garden, Googled for future holidays and read. Dinner was at our favourite Lebanese/Syrian place where, as usual, we ate too much. We had coffee at home and I opened one of the birthday presents - Palestinian dates, stuffed with an almond and covered with chocolate - presumably managed to slip through the economic blockade.

As for tonight, a Spanish-ish dish. Chorizo fried for a couple of minutes. Garlic and oregano added. Harissa, tin of chickpeas, tin of tomatoes, s & p added. Simmer for 5 minutes. Big chunks of cod go on top. Lid on and it cooks for a few minutes. Recipe suggests very non-Spanish samphire to accompany but that’s going to be hard to find. Crusty bread as the carb.

18 Likes

Happy belated birthday!

1 Like

Many Happy Returns! Young Man!

1 Like

The kindest words.

1 Like

Well , at least in our minds we are…, and that is just fine with me…
Curious about the chorizo and chick pea dish…sounds simple and sort like something I make , but I add some curry and cayenne powder to it, and do not use the Harissa or add fish. I serve it as a side with some Jasmine rice and oven roasted chicken…
I try to use a mild Columbian chorizo, of which where I am, there must be at least a minimum 15 or 20 different brands available.

Happy Happy, fellow Leo! xoxo

Thank you! I probably researched it ad nauseum, but I think I worked from this one.

Serious Eats Romesco recipe

1 Like

thank you!