What's for Dinner #23 - 07/2017 - the Summertime Picnic & Grilling Edition

I feel you Linda. My cooking mojo is gone . Tired , burn out and super grumpy . Last nite was a bowl of cereal . Tonight it’s stouffers lasagna with a fried egg on top . Beer to drink :beer: Cheers

3 Likes

For a reluctant cooking experience, that looks mighty good @LindaWhit.

Maybe we all have the summertime ennui. My doctor has told me, I can’t loose even one more pound, so I diligently eat even when it is of no interest. Common for me in this kind of heat. Surely we will snap out of it when the tomatoes ripen.

3 Likes

That’s actually pretty good real cooking, considering the heat.

My cooking has basically been sous vide some meat, throw it on the grill, and cut up a melon, strawberries, or tomatoes, with a sliced baguette.

If feeling inspired, I make a vinaigrette for a salad.

1 Like

Picnic basket at the beach. (Sandwiches, melons, water.). A lovely summer day.

10 Likes

What beach were you at? I wish I was there Book .

1 Like

sick two days ago, but yesterday, after 4 hours of working in the garden in what seemed to be 100 degree heat, managed to make 100 pot stickers and 20 Siomais ( 2.5 pound ground pork from the Italian Deli who will grind it for me, with 2 pounds of shrimp , ) using my newly arrived cuisinart blade to mince the shrimp and grate the ginger. I froze them all except for pot stickers for dinner last night and Siomai tonight. Steaming takes 14 min from frozen state for Siomai .
They are yummy! In fact, because was tired, I just wrapped the pot sticker empanada style, In short, just fold them over, use a fork to crimp the edges. It taste the same anyway . Folding it the traditional Chinese way takes too long! As for the Siomai, I did not even bother with decorating the top with different colored food ( egg yolk, carrots, peas) , taste the same! I used soy sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, fried shallot from Asian store, sesame oil until i can smell its fragrance, five spice powder, 2 eggs and 3 tablespoon of sweet potato start plus a bunch of spring onions, and oh yes, finely hand chopped jicama for a little crunch. The only difference between what I made and my mother 's recipe was that I do not use shiitake mushroom as my son will not eat mushroom! I use a dip made of soy sauce,cider vinegar, red pepper flakes and minced garlic.

Expecting my son’s friends tomorrow for paella but he decided to just have crabs, oysters and the sate babe I froze last week. Last party for him until his trip back to Amsterdam on Wednesday.
I do not think I can manage to take pictures at all.
Still have to spend hours weeding and watering daily.

9 Likes

Oh . I do see a clue . Sorrento deli . When I was remolding my nephews house in CC , I would go their daily for there sandwiches . I would get a half sandwich it was like three bucks . So were you in Santa Monica , or Venice at the beach ?

1 Like

Hermosa today. I take the kids up and down the coast, so they can learn their geography. :wink:

(We live in CC, so Sorrento’s is an easy stop.)

Loved Hermosa . After work I would head for the coast for dinner . I cruised anywhere from S.Monica to L Beach for dinner . I would also go for the weekends . Fabulous sunsets .

1 Like

Hope you feel better soon! I’ve been out of the cooking mood for a while too, the weather certainly isn’t helping.

1 Like

Same struggle here. I’m force feeding to not lose another pound. I had popsicles for dinner.

Last night’s dinner was popsicles. It’s all I could really stomach after a crazy long day and insane heat and humidity. I’ve been making a batch of yogurt popsicles every weekend and they are delightfully refreshing. I’m hoping to find some fresh tuna today (pickings are often slim in Ohio I’m learning) for poke served with avocados that are ready to be eaten.

1 Like

Friday Fish Day.

Gamberi e Tonno all griglia; burro di erbe; linguine prezzemolo, olio e aiglio; insalata di giardino:

Gamberi were the large Patagonia pink, which are absolutely delishus. Tuna steaks were sushi grade from frozen, I left them a little pink inside.

9 Likes

Thanks. Central A/C helps - this was done on the grill pan on the stove.

Tossed together a BLAT salad last night. All the fixings (crumbled bacon, avocado, tomato, sourdough croutons) served over romain, spinach, and some thin sliced yellow squash. Dressing was ranch (buttermilk, plain yogurt, sherry vinegar, lots of black pepper, garlic, and chives). There was wine.

Hoping to crank the a/c and do some cooking this weekend. So far I’ve managed to make the peach jalapeño sauce from Vivian Howard’s Deep Run Roots. The sauce goes on baked chicken, so that’s what will be for dinner.

3 Likes

Grilled red snapper, Herb couscous with parsley mint cilantro and garlic, and a rocket salad with fresh Mandarin oranges and feta:

Btw all of the ingredients except for olive oil, sea salt and the snapper were purchased at Aldi, and the snapper was from Costco. Herbs were from my garden.

6 Likes

Me three. The weather has been disgusting here and I just can’t be bothered. We’ve been living on omelets and rotisserie chickens this week. Tonight was a charcuterie and cheese platter with lots of wine. I need a vacation, pronto!

3 Likes

Peach jalapeño chicken, grits, and collard greens.

7 Likes

Rotisserie sounds perfect for tonight! Thanks for the idea!

It’s been raining* buckets nearly non stop since last night. Dinner at normal time was dark like in the winter. I had literally minutes of natural light to make a couple of photos before darkness fell completely.

Tried another lavash flat bread that’s new to us. Iraqui kind is muuuuuch better.

(*) rain gif image I made. It’s animated.

5 Likes