What's for Dinner #22 - 06/2017 - June is Bustin' Out All Over Edition

I had a beautiful welcome snack in my room, the sesame ball was wonderful and very tender. The marbled looking one was not chocolate but a similar rice pastry

Also picked up a box of fresh lychee for snacking- they were super ripe and juicy! Made a mess to eat but were fantastic

Working dinner with good enough room service tonight, i ordered a random assortment to create a vegetarian meal and ended up with some great sticky rice that i flopped the sauteed mushrooms side and another side of mixed greens that looked like bok choy but had a kind of spicy flavor. Minibar cocktail of pepsi light with rum a la carte…

6 Likes

Could hardly see anything in the sunlight, now on my big NEC monitor inside this is what dinner looks like.

My lemon balm in the background and the rosemary plant is behind me.

Lamb merguez. Both the sausages and lamb chops have been sous vide’ed just before, which reduced the cooking time on the Weber.

The whole thing. There was also chickpea puree.

5 Likes

It was an “off day” for me–very out of sorts, and I don’t know why. And I should have done a lot more than two loads of laundry, but I didn’t.

Dinner was a decidedly non-summertime meal. But I wanted it, so I made it. Mom’s Lemon Pot Roast, and boiled potatoes and carrots.

6 Likes

I still have Rosemary but my lemon balm is gone. I really should replace it. It was wonderful. Even sub’d it for lemon grass in Asian dishes but now my lemon grass is growing like a weed. Your food always looks amazing

1 Like

Lemon pot roast sounds interesting- what’s the recipe like?

My lemon balm plants itself everywhere in my tiny garden. Once I tried to get rid of it but it wouldn’t die so now I just let it be. It’s nice in a raw, refreshing salad.

I want some lemongrass but haven’t found a nursery selling it. Maybe I could try growing the roots with store-bought lemongrass. The climate here is not suitable for growing lemongrass. I saw it in Asia, grows like a weed indeed.

And thank you so much. Coming from you, a good cook, is a great encouragement.

Weather was unpredictable today and with mostly dark clouds so it’s back to cooking inside. Squid were briefly sous vide’ed then fried in a pan. “Caviar” lentils and beetroot leaves alongside.

I used the beetroot for chickpea puree for lunch.

Only tentacles on my plate here. I prefer tentacles.

3 Likes

[quote=“LindaWhit, post:23, topic:9779, full:true”]
It was an “off day” for me–very out of sorts, and I don’t know why. And I should have done a lot more than two loads of laundry, but I didn’t.

Could be the 50° gloomy rainy weather in Boston? I made a big ass pot of veggie chili which is a go-to meal in the cooler months. But in June it’s unheard of.

3 Likes

Here’s a oermalink to the recipe - I had posted it way back in 2005 on CH:

1 Like

Thanks! May have to give it a try!

1 Like

How did the technique work? Those tentacles go chewy so quickly.

The weather is definitely part of it. I’m looking forward to this coming weekend, when it’s supposed to be warm and sunny - real June weather!

2 Likes

Dinner last night was Shanghai noodles-

Overall, a good recipe- nothing too bold flavour wise so the toddler would eat it.

3 Likes

It cooks slowly on a low temperature. It was just an experiment with squid. Octopus could benefit this technique but squid tend to overcook very quickly. Squid is tricky, one wrong move and you have rubber.

1 Like

Today it’s cold, rainy and stormy. Feels strange to be wearing shoes and a jacket again.

Sous vide’ed chicken thighs then seared to get a crisp on the skin. I was racing against the last sun rays of the day trying to snap the photos. Used kepcap manis (Indonesian sweet soy sauce) and shrimp paste. No nasi goreng (Indonesian/Malaysian fried rice) could taste nice without these 2 ingredients.

No time to think of a nice way to plate it. Maybe next time.

It was so good.

6 Likes

I have fallen behind! And my camera never seems to be conveniently nearby. There have been grilled burgers and fish, cole slaw, a four item Indian meal [leftovers of that tonight], and then one very big Sunday lunch in celebration of my granddaughter’s first birthday and baptism. 18 people! I outsourced the Italian cured meat and cheese platter, but made everything else.

From left to right, home-made ciabatta, home-made focaccia, herbed-goat cheese spread, Italian meat and cheese tray, turkey and cheese tray, tortellini salad, marinated mushrooms, artichokes, tomatoes with marinated buffalo mozzarella, fruit salad. Then along the back is some Italian dressing, vinegar, oregano, pesto, pepperoncini, cornichon, mayo, and mustard so people could customize their sandwiches to their tastes. I didn’t take a picture of the cake or the cute mini-desserts that my daughter purchased from a local bakery. I only offered tap water and San Pellegrino with lemon or lime wedges to drink. Probably should have had a few other options.

10 Likes

I had to make a late run to the supermarket for water. While I was there
I ordered a sandwich and a small side at the deli counter, nothing fancy.
Store made roast beef on surprisingly good country white and an excellent
feta and olive salad to which I only added cucumber and scallion.
Judging by the size of the sandwich I was most definitely rewarded for being a regular
customer, it’s almost four inches high. I could barely get through half the sandwich,
Mittens helped helped me.
If you don’t like rare, look away!

7 Likes

@smtucker, nice lunch! Also, we must be the few left who still use “normal” cameras, as in not smartphone cameras! You could use your phone in a pinch. I do when I am at the pub and forget my camera or the memory card. This is, btw, an extremely rare scenario in which someone catches me playing with my phone.

@chowdom, meat to bread ratio is way off! :joy:

1 Like

No time for nice photos today.

There was also white asparagus but unfortunately it got overwhelmed by the cream and green asparagus.

SV flank steaks. Were tender and medium rare but not rare. Photos of SV flank steaks on the web are also medium rare. I want to try again for rare next time. And btw, in my house the cows and creatures of the sea can co-exist in peace.

4 Likes

shrimp stir fried in wok with olive oil, tons of garlic, a tin of anchovy in olive oil, lime juice and zest and chipotle and adobo sauce.
Shrimp mixture added to quartered vine riped tomatoes roasted in 350 degrees oven with olive oil, italian seasonings. When tomatoes rendered their juice, approximately 20 minutes in the oven, feta was added till it melted.
Served with rice

4 Likes