What's for Dinner #17 - 01/2017 - the New Beginnings Edition

Winter is roe time. I usually just dust them with flour and pan fried. Sometimes with a splash of sherry, fried ginger and garlic, some tamari. Another way is to steam with beaten eggs (can be with or without the pork mince, or preserved turnips, or prawns, anything I feel like chucking in really). Today it was with just eggs and prawns. No time to make photos but maybe next time, preferably at weekends when I have more time and the light is better.

Picked out the roe myself, and tried to find each from different fish. The roe container was out front so I got to select them carefully, only the small sacs and intact. It’s quite distressing to come home and discover the sacs have ripped open. This time they came home still intact as I was extra careful, but it did help that they were not damaged in the first place (when the fishmonger removed them from the fish).

The 2 biggest pairs went in the steamer, the rest pan fried. Only ate the steamed roe today, though.

What steamed roe look like… these old photos but it’s how I normally steam the roe. The eggs and roe are the base, sometimes I add other things to make it more savoury and substantial.

There’s tofu curd in it.

One on left is without preserved turnips.

5 Likes

I just bought this cookbook a while ago in a ebook promo at $2.99, which recipes have you tried and strongly recommended?

I usually eat most stuff, but THIS… with fermented tofu (not fan at all)… I’m not sure I want any of that! I like your enamel pie dishes a lot!

Haha… 2 of the things you don’t like in one dish. I like roe a lot. Is it such an acquired taste?

Got the enamel pie dishes in the UK. Enamel cookware is still popular. I saw it in Iceland, Estonia and Hungary. But Riess (from Austria) classic enamel cookware is the most beautiful and of high quality. Check out some pics on this site.

Last night I made pork tenderloin medaillons topped with on-the-whim béarnaise: basically TJ’s hollandaise, but I sweat a finely diced shallot and some dried tarragon in a little white balsamic and a splash of vinho verde until both had evaporated. Then I just put a bunch of generous spoonfuls of the hollandaise in the pot and mixed in the shallot & tarragon. I thought it came out super.

Side was romaine & cuke with creamy, ranchy dill dressing.

Tonight is another chile head meeting at a local Sichuan place followed by a poker game.

11 Likes

I have cooked mostly from the condiments, salad, vegetable and soup sections. I haven’t made any meat, pasta, or pizza recipes. So far, my very favorite are:

Bean stew with barley & green harissa (page 234)
Tomato, beet & carrot soup (p. 233)

Baby radishes with black olive & anchovy aiolio, (page 138)
Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Dates (page 190)

This is one of those books that I love for the many sub-recipes:

Chatmoula, p. 50
Chimichurri, p. 51
Green harissa, p. 52
Dandelions with lemon-anchovy dressing, p. 95

Also, the aolios and smoky tomato butter are excellent, as are the pestos (mint-pomegranate :star: ).

2 Likes

My favorite poker game is Texas holdem no limit . The power of the bluff .

Not so hungry lately… (a big clue i’m out of sorts)
Last night i just made and drank a lot of very green juice with extra ginger and lots of lemon. And then woke up at least three times because that’s just too much liquid before sleeping. Ugh.

Tonight is cold and rainy and i went with a miso soup of stuff. A good size blob of barley miso paste, lots of scallions, some soft tofu, nori, and a biiig handful of baby spinach. Dessert will be throat coat tea, all the vitamins and such with the rest of the crystallized ginger i found in the cupboard

2 Likes

I have 90% of my new kitchen back so we are doing some light cooking/test driving. Tonight was a quick broccoli soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. The soup was shallots sautéed in butter, chicken stock, and fresh broccoli. Boiled until the brocolli was tender then blitzed in the Vitamix. Back onto the stove to warm up and stir in a bit of plain yogurt and sharp cheddar cheese that was left over from the sandwiches.

Topped the soup with some smushed pork rinds.

5 Likes

Back in business Aussie .:thumbsup:

1 Like

Yes, this particular group mostly sticks to Hold 'em, with the occasional Omaha or 3 & 2 thrown in. I won $53 :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

The power of the bluff, indeed.

4 Likes

Very nice, Lingua. Shallots have depth. I always have both shallots and onions in the house.

Hope you visit Portugal someday and drink lots of vinho verde*. 99.xxx% remains in the country, just like Tokaj wines. Never knew Tokaj wines could be dry and delicious til I went there and drank my weight. (But… at the end of the day I’m a Riesling girl)

(* pronounced “veen-ñoo vaird”. I hear the Portuguese pronounce it “veen vaird”, probably out of laziness they drop the o in vinho. Portuguese “verde” is not like Italian “verde”. Interesting, no? :confounded:)

Congrats on the win again. :punch:

1 Like

Went out deep sea fishing with my cousins. Seas got rougher than predicted. Near 50 miles off shore in 150ft of water. Less productive than anticipated but enjoyed some ceviche with some snapper on the boat and later that evening seared a few filets

8 Likes

I don’t know why this whole time I thought you were a guy! :blush:

2 Likes

I assumed female.

2 Likes

Your day sounds infinitely more fantastic than mine was…! What’s the mango looking relish there by the fish? And i’m worried your ceviche tasted like wet cardboard from the photo of someone cutting it there… you need a little flexible plastic cutting board or something…

Negative on decent thai delivery in my neighborhood. Actually took me longer to sort that out than it did to make my quicky soup.
Green curry paste, ginger, lemongrass paste from a tube, canned coconut milk, veg broth, soft tofu, mushrooms, spinach, zucchini. it needed some noodles or rice but i also realized that too late. Tasty with a kick and great fragrance

2 Likes

I agree the cardboard beer container was not ideal but it worked and no discernible taste from the cardboard. That was my cuz doing the cutting. Had I known I would have brought better tools. The cardboard got pretty wet because I was rinsing off the filets in fresh seawater. The salt water seasoned it just right

The relish is mango, corn, peppers and cilantro

2 Likes

:laughing: no worries. It happens all the time. If you have heard of typology it makes sense how often people presume I’m a male. My personality type is more typical for males (look up “INTJ”).

1 Like

Chicken katsu, miso soup, and some collard greens with bacon.

8 Likes

WFD, several meals… sardines cooked simply and sprinkled with fleur de sel. Squid salad as entry, cooked with saké, fish sauce and finished with yuzu juice with some tomatoes…

Dinner 2: I cooked a great classic, leek potato soup with a lot of butter, a lot of cream and leek and potato. The butter made the soup really good! With a beef steak, the basse cote… comfy meal

Dinner 3: Roasted pork belly with mustard and honey with a cucumber salad.

8 Likes