What's For Dinner #106 - the Sneezles & Wheezles Season Edition - May 2024

We started off my birthday weekend with an excellent dinner at F1rst Restaurant in Hawthorne, NJ. Today is my actual birthday :blush: We enjoyed Crispy brie with Grilled asparagus, prosciutto, fig-golden raisin chutney, balsamic reduction; duck with sweet potato puree, Brussels sprouts, and a cherry sauce; halibut with morel mushrooms, quinoa, and a truffle butter; gnocchi primavera with Asparagus, peas, spinach, pignoli nuts, arugula pesto, shaved parmigiana; grilled octopus with Crispy potatoes, roasted red peppers, capers, kalamata olives, romesco sauce; and ‘mounds bar’ for dessert with Coconut brittle ice cream, toasted coconut, bittersweet chocolate shell. It all went great with a couple of excellent cabernets.

16 Likes

Happy Birthday - hope you have a great weekend of celebrating!

4 Likes

Thank you :blush:

Happy birthday! Like like you did it right :blush:

3 Likes

Found a container of salsa verde that I’d made last year in the freezer and turned it into chilaquiles. Breakfast for dinner, I don’t do that nearly often enough!

19 Likes

Enchiladas with flour tortillas and rotisserie chicken. I used pepperjack cheese canned enchilada sauce. Barely passible.

7 Likes

Thank you very much :blush:

2 Likes

Mediocre Columbian take-out from a new joint in Toronto. I got an egg arepa, chicken empanada ($4) , cheese & guava pastry, and Picasa ($10).

The selection in the little dish is a personal-sized Picada with chopped chorizo, fried pork belly, yellow potato, cassava and pieces of corn arepa ($10).

7 Likes

Damn, that looks good! What’s the white stuff on the butter chicken?

1 Like

There’s a gözleme stand at the Saturday market in our hood where there’s always a huge line (Berliners love to stand on line for food, it seems). We finally tried it once, and were decidedly underwhelmed.

Yours look better, TBH.

2 Likes

Looks like a worthy celebration of your special day. Happy birthday & many returns!

1 Like

Happy birthday!

1 Like

Looking forward to seeing John’s pizza creation, tonight.

This is the highlight of my Saturday.

7 Likes

Thank you Natascha and @Amandarama :blush:

2 Likes

Thanks! It’s Mexican crema mixed with some half and half. Normally it would be heavy cream but I didn’t have any on hand.

2 Likes

Breakfast for dinner.
Leftover ribeye and eggs, grilled mushrooms, peppers and onions, crispy hash brown and toasted baguette. :baguette_bread:

19 Likes

To my enormous surprise there were beautiful shad roe at the fishmonger’s today. It had been many years since I last had them. Bought a pair and made them as I always have and found they are just too rich for me now, despite a lot of lemon juice. Very tasty, just too rich. Asparagus and crusty bread not pictured.

19 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was a ramen soup with tofu and bok choy.

15 Likes

Finally dragged out the deck chairs and deck garden containers. Repotted all the flowers, herbs, tomato and pepper plants.

Dinner was easy: a Frankenchicken breast marinated in olive oil, lemon juice, s/p, minced fresh oregano, thyme, and rosemary. Roasted at 375° until done, basting occasionally. A tomato, cucumber & feta salad alongside.

My first vodka and lemonade of the season. OK, two of them…with muddled blackberries.

19 Likes

Artichoke and shiitake tagliatelle from Annabelle pasta bar in Toronto

Chased by a home-made salad.

10 Likes