What's For Dinner #105 - the Start Your Gardens! Edition - April 2024

We never had any kids, and haven’t had to pay attention to their culinary likes/dislikes but I remember when my 5 year old nephew came to visit us with grandparents I stocked the cabinet with peanut butter, jelly and Kraft Mac & cheese. That little bugger ate shrimp cocktail, vegetables from our garden, Szechuan, Portuguese - whatever we threw at him. He’s my brother’s son!

On the other side of the family, the only nephew was brainwashed by his controlling mother. We joked the poor kid only liked beige food. He stayed with us for a long summer when his parents were divorcing and he was going on 17. I cooked some chicken thighs - he didn’t know what to do with them and told us his mom always cut the chicken off of the bones. Another night, I had bought some steaks to grill, and he had to call his mom to find out if it was cut of steak he liked. The easiest thing I did was set up a baked potato/salad/or taco bar and let him do his own thing.

He’s a stay at home dad to two sweet daughters now, and his wife is a NICU Rn.

13 Likes

That’s awesome! Mine surprises me, sometimes. Recently he helped himself to some crispy shrimp (his was chicken) and liked it. He has been running low on frustration tolerance today (mega meltdown), so this was a battle I chose not to have tonight.

6 Likes

It must be hard to juggle wanting to get nutrition in there and develop his palate. I grew up in the mid-50’s on a farm in Ohio and ultimately acquired 5 siblings. Talk about farm to table. That’s how we ate. I only ventured out to pizza when I escaped to go to college.

5 Likes

Always amazed by the scope of your culinary adventures!

That’s really all you can hope for, and good on him for trying!

This is such a nice thing to do!

4 Likes

Pan fried noodles with haddock and mixed vegetables, adapted from The Woks of Life. Some homemade chile oil over the top!

24 Likes

That’s funny and nice of you to say. What’s also kind of hilarious is I don’t make a ton of repeats, but this dish is one of them :joy:

2 Likes

I could eat that for dinner for the rest of my life if someone made it for me…

3 Likes

The swordfish was better quality than the tuna, but we managed to choke it down… barely :joy: That caper sauce will save anything, tho :wink:

and there’s plenty of grilled zukes left for lunch tomorrow… maybe one zuke is enough for two peeps? :crazy_face:.

We spontaneously invited a couple of friends over to hang on our patio and enjoy the first fire of the year with us.

They should be showing up shortly. Yay, socializing again :grimacing:

17 Likes

Big ol’ bacon cheeezeburger, using a Wegmans chuck and brisket patty, as recommended by @linguafood, a slice of American cheese, thin half slices of crispy bacon, and a spoonful of previously caramelized onions on a lightly toasted Brioche bun.

Lamb-Weston fries alongside. Heinz Simply Ketchup for fry dipping.

It was gooood!

22 Likes

What’s your verdict on the Wegmans boygah mix?

1 Like

I like it! I think I needed to season the burgers a bit more, but the cheese and onions helped. I got it to a perfect medium-rare (3 minutes one side, 2-1/2 on the other before I put the cheese on, covered it, and pulled it off the heat, letting the cheese melt from any heat under the cover).

It was very “meaty”, if that makes sense. More than the 80/20 or 85/15 I usually make myself. It was funny, when I got them, I thought “these are going to stick outside the bun” as they’re bigger in circumference than I usually make by hand. But as you can see, they were perfect!

6 Likes

Thanks! I feel better already :slight_smile:

I made some pork rillettes over the weekend. Super simple, mostly following this recipe but instead of oven I cooked it in the crock pot on low for 8 hours. I added a skinless piece of pork belly in lieu of extra fat.

I had some for dinner tonight with a baguette, cornichons, and Dijon mustard.

28 Likes

A repeat of the food-cart-style grilled chicken kebabs (thighs). Homemade pita. Chopped salad. White sauce.

25 Likes

i made an ugly/delicious version of pan bagnat tonight, because I had most of the ingredients. Cut a piece off an Acme scallion ciabatta, and because I’d cut it rather small, everything got very squished (I pressed it for about 40 minutes). In the end, I could only eat half, because the BF made his monster of a meatloaf for himself, and OF COURSE, i ate a little end piece before dinner. He’s mastered meatloaf. Pic of his plate with all the accoutrements.

Meatloaf 2

23 Likes

Well I was pretty excited to get to dinner time tonight.

First, my favorite shaved fennel and orange salad, featuring Cara Cara and Sumo oranges. I missed eating this last year, and it’s my first this year but not my last!

Then onto finally eating my lasagne! Sliced it cold, then pan-seared in brown butter.

Yikes this was good! The caramelization from the sear did actually add a lot. the And now i’ve fulfilled that 100-layer rabbit hole.

Cut it into 4 slices, so 3 more portions to go. Good thing I made a big salad, or there might have been only 1 portion left :flushed:

24 Likes

ohhh swoon! i’m going to have to say a big fat eff you to my cholesterol and make that someday soon! thanks for linking the recipe! i’m taking down your notes, too.

2 Likes

again, impressive! looks great.

1 Like

Yum! I keep meaning to try my hand at rillettes and forgetting. Looks fabulous – how was the flavor from that recipe?

1 Like

Wowza! Would he share his meatloaf secrets, so you think?

Your pan bagnat looks pretty delicious too!

1 Like